Spain - Flamenco, Bull Fight

Old May 31, 18, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Spain/Lisbon - Places to Visit, Attractions and Shows... Please help !!

I am visiting Spain - Barcelona, Madrid, Seville in July and wanted to check on where to experience and see:

1. Flamenco Dance shows
2. Bull Fighting

I am not looking for extravagant and too expensive ones, but would like to see experience it while we are there.

What are the best places to get the tickets (Discounts) as well.

thanks in advance.

Last edited by troyhouse; Jun 1, 18 at 10:22 pm
Old Jun 1, 18, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Sevilla is the best spot for both. Not sure when the bull fighting season(?) is though. You can get a tour of of their ring even if there are not performances. Make sure you visit a bull bar in Madrid though.

For Flamenco, we went across the river to Triana where we saw a show for cheap. We were the only Americans in the place. I think it was much more authentic than what you get from advertised places. It was a while ago, so I do not remember the name or location, but just that it was in Triana. We stumbled on it by accident.
Old Jun 1, 18, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, will search and check it out. I would also like to hear more feedback and options if any.

I also want to know what are some of the top spots in each of these locations, and best places to buy tickets/passes for them. Any discount sites?

Locations:
1. Barcelona
- Park Guell
-La Sagrada Famila
-Las Ramblas
-Casa Butlo
-Casa Milla
-Magic Fountain

2. Madrid
-Royal Palace of Madrid
-Plaza Mayor
-Prado National Museum
-Day tour to Toledo
<<please suggest if anything i am missing here>>

3. Seville
-Plaza de Espana
-Seville Cathedra
-Real Alcazar
-Flamenco shows
-Bull fighting show
-Day tour to Cordoba

4. Lisbon
-Tram
-Alfama
-Belem
-Sintra
Old Jun 2, 18, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Barcelona:

I'd skip Las Ramblas and add the Barri Gotic and Gothic Cathedral; there is a gread market / food hall nearby, Mercat Santa Caterina. Also the Museu Picasso is worth a visit.

Madrid:

There are two more museums worth visiting, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza and Museo Reina Sofía (the present home of Picasso's Guernica).

Lisbon:

São Jorge Castle, Bairro Alto and Museu Calouste Gulbenkian.
Old Jun 2, 18, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Great feedback, really appreciate it.

What do do you guys think of Madrid, Barcelona hop-on, hop-off, oe the city specific card. Does it provide value? Or better to just visit sites on our own??
Old Jun 2, 18, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I agree with what has been previously mentioned that Sevilla would be the best place for flamenco and bullfighting. Bullfighting was effectively banned Catalunya. The Spanish court recently overruled the ban, but it's still a point of contention, so don't expect bullfighting in Barcelona. I went to Madrid during the Festival of San Isidro, where there is bullfighting daily, but I believe it's weekly outside of San Isidro. There are plenty of places for flamenco in Sevilla, but since I saw it in Granada, I don't have any specific recommendations.

Barcelona: I spent maybe a total of 5 minutes on Las Ramblas because there is an insane amount of people. DO NOT EAT A MEAL ALONG LAS RAMBLAS if possible. It will be super-touristy. The Gothic Quarter (and its various architectural sites) is definitely worth a visit. For all the Gaudi sites, just buy tickets ahead of time. Same with the Picasso museum.

Sevilla: Make sure to walk up (you’ll see why I say “walk” instead of “climb”) the Giralda at the Cathedral. The views are amazing. When we visited last month, there was an extremely long line for the Real Alcazar because apparently, very few people buy tickets ahead of time. Buy tickets ahead of time on the website like we did. It will save you lots of time and pain. I don’t know where you’re staying in Sevilla, but the Metropol Parasol is an interesting modern architectural work. I wouldn’t go too far out of your way for it, but if you’re near by, it’s worth a quick look IMO.

Lisbon: If you’re walking, beware of the hills. It’s uphill both ways

We never did the hop-on hop-off busses because we prefer to walk. And there were 4 of us, so a taxi or Cabify was cheaper to go longer distances between sites. We actually got the Toledo Card (sold by Renfe), and even though was slightly more expensive than doing everything on our own, it was a fair deal, and pretty convenient. Otherwise, we just visited the sites on our own. I personally feel that unless you do most things on the city card, it’s not a good value. I’d recommend doing some research and compare what they provide to your interests.
Old Jun 2, 18, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta, American, JetBlue
For flamenco, I recommend:
In Seville, Casa de la Memoria: https://www.casadelamemoria.es/
In Madrid, Tablao Las Carboneras: https://tablaolascarboneras.com/en/the-tablao/
Both are traditional, non touristy, venues.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 2, 18, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In Seville, the stunning historic hotel is Alfonso some roman numberal; it's Starwood LC.

If you have a car, there are many more options to avoid the touristic stuff. For example, I saw "genuine" flamenco for free at some street fair in a small village. During bull fight season, which IIRC includes late summer/early fall, there are bull fights that rotate around some of the smaller cities near Madrid.

I've never done it, but there are places in Spain where you can pay to go into a bull ring and play around with "fighting" a baby bull, essentially doing the very first bullfighting lesson.

In Barcelona, be sure to take the time to stroll through the area with the Gaudi buildings. IIRC there's a Gaudi mansion on the Diagonal that's a famous and very good restaurant. If you're interested, the big Catalan sparking wine houses are about an hour or two from Barcelona.
Old Jun 2, 18, 11:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by troyhouse View Post
What do do you guys think of Madrid, Barcelona hop-on, hop-off...
First time in a large city I like to do the hop on hop off bus on my first day there just to familiarize myself with the layout of the city and the locations of the sites and attractions. Afterwards, depending on the distances, I walk, use public transportation or take taxis.

I've done the busses in both Barcelona and Madrid, each city has three or four separate routes if my memory serves me correctly; you can ride them all on the same ticket.
mphall likes this.
Old Jun 4, 18, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Madrid - Stroll through Retiro Park. Have a drink at the stand near the pond. See the Crystal Palace, at least from the outside.

Barcelona - While I wouldn't spend massive time on Las Ramblas, especially in July, a visit to the La Boqueria Market is worthwhile, albeit touristy. Like Madrid, sit in the park, this time Ciutadella Park. Watch the people dance on the weekends there. Enjoy another beverage (fresh squeezed OJ and vodka is nice).

Wherever you are on a Sunday, stroll around like the locals do. Stop and have a drink, enjoy the scenery. Relax.
FlyerWx likes this.
Old Jun 6, 18, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

anyone use www.servitoro.com to buy bull fighting tickets in advance? there are some shows that coincides with my stay and would like to buy in advance to avoid rush.
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:03 am

Hello,

I was in Palacio Andaluz in Seville last April. It is suppose to be one of the best flamenco shows in Spain. There are 2 shows per night and I think it is open everynight.

Search this Thread