Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Day Trips - Spain - Need suggestions

Old May 28, 18, 11:03 am
Original Poster

I am planning following day trips in Spain from Madrid and Seville. I would like to get some suggestion/feedback on the tour company to use, or just use train/bus on my own to complete these day trips.

From Madrid:
1. Toledo

From Seville:
1. Cordoba
2. Granada

Let me know if I should any other destinations too, and really appreciate if you can suggest tour companies/operators for these trips.

thanks in advance.
Old May 28, 18, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd suggest Segovia from Madrid. Roman aqueducts and generally an interesting and pleasant town.

Don't take a tour. I've always just rented a car to explore Spain outside of Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia.
troyhouse likes this.
Old May 28, 18, 11:18 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by troyhouse View Post
From Seville:
1. Cordoba
2. Granada
In my opinion, Granada is too far and there is too much to see there for a day trip from Sevilla; driving time is a minimum of 2 1/2 hours in each direction. Buses and trains take at least three hours. That won't give you sufficient time for sightseeing. The Alhambra alone can be a whole day affair. The Cathedral is one of the most magnificent in Spain and is the site of Ferdinand and Isabella, and Columbus' tombs.
troyhouse likes this.
Old May 28, 18, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
You are looking at a solid 2 hours 45 minutes Sevilla to Granada. Cordoba is reasonable. Also a lot of other places you might want to visit:

Italica
Arcos de la Frontera
Carmona
Ronda
Cadiz

If you can drive, just rent a car and go for it. You could stop at Carmona on the way to Cordoba, although the train only takes 45 minutes.

Would recommend putting Granada off til next time.
troyhouse likes this.
Old May 28, 18, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
In my opinion, Granada is too far and there is too much to see there for a day trip from Sevilla; driving time is a minimum of 2 1/2 hours in each direction. Buses and trains take at least three hours. That won't give you sufficient time for sightseeing. The Alhambra alone can be a whole day affair. The Cathedral is one of the most magnificent in Spain and is the site of Ferdinand and Isabella, and Columbus' tombs.
This. We did a day trip to Granda from Malaga and barely scratched the surface of the Alhambra.
troyhouse likes this.
Old May 28, 18, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I also agree with the advice that a day-trip to Granada from Sevilla would be too hectic. If you can, spend a full day in Granada.

I was originally thinking of doing a day-trip, but then thought against it, and I'm glad I did. You can easily spend 5+ hours in Alhambra and the Generalife. And then you have the Cathedral, various Miradors, and just strolling through Albayzin.

As far as Toledo goes, if you are staying anywhere near Atocha station in Madrid, I recommend just taking the train to Toledo. It's double the cost, but takes half the time as the bus, and it's totally worth it, IMO. Toledo is very doable by yourself. However, I recommend getting a "real" guide (not an audioguide) for at least one Cathedral in Spain during your trip. It's a lot more engaging, and it's better to have the emotion of a real person when describing the beauty and history.
TWA884, troyhouse and Dave737 like this.
Old Jun 1, 18, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Second the train idea from Madrid to Toledo. Quicker more comfortable. Cheap taxi ride into the city.
We just wandered around and hit the top spots. Easy to do, but there are hills so be prepared.
Old Jun 3, 18, 2:18 pm

From Madrid - Toledo, Salamanca or Segovia
Old Jun 4, 18, 2:02 pm

I did Cordoba from Seville via Train and it was as easy as possible.

It does get extremely hot in the summer though.

Another day trip you could try from Seville is to Rhonda, but I didn't make it out there.
Old Jun 4, 18, 2:46 pm

FYI, the train (RENFE) is also an easy transit to Segovia from Madrid.
Old Jun 4, 18, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by marketa1883 View Post
From Madrid - Toledo, Salamanca or Segovia
If you drive to Salamanca from Madrid, stop in Avila too. It's a smaller town and less wealthy, but farther off the beaten tourist path. It's a good place to stretch your legs and find a cold beverage or coffee.
Old Jun 11, 18, 3:22 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by BeachRat View Post
FYI, the train (RENFE) is also an easy transit to Segovia from Madrid.
The bus is much better to Segovia as the Cercanías service that puts you in the city center is infrequent and the AVE service leaves you at a station that is vaguely in the vicinity of Segovia.

Honestly for a family the best is probably to hire a car.

I'd say the same for Toledo if cost is about the same as there is a free car park in Toledo and you can either walk or take a taxi from there.
Old Jun 12, 18, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by troyhouse View Post
I am planning following day trips in Spain from Madrid and Seville. I would like to get some suggestion/feedback on the tour company to use, or just use train/bus on my own to complete these day trips.

From Madrid:
1. Toledo

From Seville:
1. Cordoba
2. Granada

Let me know if I should any other destinations too, and really appreciate if you can suggest tour companies/operators for these trips.

thanks in advance.
Hello, there are nice day trips from Madrid and Seville to those locations everyday. It is the simple, easiest and most effective way to know the main attractions of each city in one day
Old Jun 16, 18, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Any feedback of Nattivus tour company for day trip to Toledo and Segovia from Madrid. Reviews looks good and was wondering if anyone has used this company or any other company that they can suggest"

https://www.nattivus.com/en/madrid/segovia-toledo-tour
Old Jun 16, 18, 12:33 pm

I have done at least 10 day tours to Toledo from Madrid for work and I would recommend you to check on this link the best day trips from Madrid to Toledo . You will find complete information of each tour and lots of comments

Search this Thread