Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Transit Time at Lisbon Airport?

Transit Time at Lisbon Airport?

Old May 6, 18, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, UA Premier
Question Transit Time at Lisbon Airport?

Looking at flights from the USA to Italy via Lisbon for my daughter. There is one option that only has 1.5 hours in Lisbon between flights. She will be travelling on a student visa. Is this enough time for her to clear immigration control and security screening between flights? Thanks.
Old May 6, 18, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
It should be just enough time, but could possibly not be enough if her first flight is delayed or there are delays at immigration. Things to ask yourself:
- is she on one through ticket? if so, she will be protected in case of a misconnect, and would be placed on the next available flight; if not, I would not risk 1.5 hours
- are there more (later) flights to her Italian city from LIS that day?
Old May 7, 18, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Keep in mind or look out for any disruption due to strike etc. I was there back in April and it took me almost 3-4 hour just to pass through security and immigration. thankfully my flight was delayed. Only one lane was opened for immigration for international passports and it was a zoo in security lanes. I heard there was a strike and only few officers were working that day.
Old May 7, 18, 2:15 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
As a rule of thumb, plan on an hour to clear immigration in LIS in the summer. It's a zoo and the gov't is doing nothing about it. I'd chance the 1.5 hour layover. They usually take people with short connections to the front of the line.
If she misses it, the airline will reaccommodate her on the next flight.
Old May 31, 18, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA gold
I would just say that in April Lisbon airport was considerably busier (even at 5:30am) and therefore much slower than I had expected for a departure flight to LHR. This was not due to any strike or work slowdown on the date I was there. Also not laid out particularly well. 1.5 hrs would be tight. That said, it's more worth the risk on her way TO Italy than on the way home, because there will be more intra-European flights that she can be accommodated on if she misses the connection. Going back home, she likely has fewer TA options and if she misses that, it may mean extra stop(s) or waiting until the next day.

Last edited by monvoyage; Jun 1, 18 at 10:49 am
Old Jun 1, 18, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by monvoyage View Post
I would just say that in April Lisbon airport was considerably busier (even at 5:30am) and therefore much slower than I had expected. This was not sue to any strike or work slowdown on the date I was there. Also not laid out particularly well. 1.5 hrs would be tight. That said, it's more worth the risk on her way TO Italy than on the way home, because there will be more intra-European flights that she can be accommodated on if she misses the connection. Going back home, she likely has fewer TA options and if she misses that, it may mean extra stop(s) or waiting until the next day.
5:30AM to 8AM is the busiest time at immigration - you have redeye flights from Africa and the Americas all landing around the same time and the immigration hall turns into a zoo. The next batch of non-Schengen flights land around 10:30AM-noon but it's much quieter in comparison. The third, even smaller, bank of non-Schengen flights is around 3:30PM-5PM.
Old Jun 1, 18, 10:51 am

Programs: AA gold
I was departing to LHR. But your advice is on point for this young lady, who may be looking at an early morning arrival.
Old May 28, 19, 10:47 am
BCH

The schedule for my inbound translatlantic flight and outbound intra-Europe flight have changed, and instead of 3 hrs, I now have a 1 hr 15 min connection from 7am. Is that insane? I can't find the published minimum connection time for LIS. Does anyone know? Thanks.
Old May 28, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by BCH View Post
The schedule for my inbound translatlantic flight and outbound intra-Europe flight have changed, and instead of 3 hrs, I now have a 1 hr 15 min connection from 7am. Is that insane? I can't find the published minimum connection time for LIS. Does anyone know? Thanks.
TAP will sell 55 mins non-Schengen to Schengen, implying the MCT is that or lower
BCH likes this.
Old Jul 28, 19, 12:41 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: DL Gold, Alaska MVP, AA LT Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Booked EWR-VCE on TAP and an already tight connection is now just 1:10 after a small change to timings.

Does business class get any sort of expedited clearance at the transfer point (passport control and security) in terminal 1?

There’s a second flight to VCE but 8 hours later and we’d lose one of only two days in Venice.

Also, we used Avianca miles meaning a very steep surcharge to switch flights and, of course, nothing else is even available in business on that day.

Fight Radar shows 6 of 7 flights last week landed early One landed 3 hours late.

Would love to hear thought from those that have braved this connection....
Old Jul 31, 19, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
I booked an award ticket on UA's website for EWR-LIS-LCY that has a 1h connection. The flight arrives before 6AM, so I would hope the immigration line is light at that time. Additionally, I have her in business, so she will be at the front of the plane and one of the first people off.
Old Aug 1, 19, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
I booked an award ticket on UA's website for EWR-LIS-LCY that has a 1h connection. The flight arrives before 6AM, so I would hope the immigration line is light at that time. Additionally, I have her in business, so she will be at the front of the plane and one of the first people off.
Unless you want to visit the lounge, you will not need to go through immigration, only security, which shouldn't take more than 5 mins. I would NOT suggest trying to visit the lounge (which is on the Schengen side) given the 1 hour conection.

Search this Thread