Gibraltar Diversion

Old Apr 25, 18, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Gibraltar Diversion

Hi - I am on a golf weekend later this year and the flight options are either Gib or Malaga. I am staying roughly halfway between the two. The Gib option has by far the most convenient flight times but am worried about the potential for diversions, particularly given the short visit.

My question is - if I get diverted from Gib to Malaga, can I simply collect my golf clubs, leave the airport and get a taxi from Malaga? Or is the 2 hour airline bus to Gib compulsory?

thanks in advance.
Old Apr 25, 18, 10:59 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
How are you getting from GIB to your destination with your clubs? I'd be inclined to go to AGP just to avoid the border crossing, particularly on a Friday afternoon.
Old Apr 25, 18, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Group taxi either way. Looking at a Saturday morning flight (Iím assuming the border will not be too bad late morning) into Gib which is convenient for our group.

Iím actually no worse off if the plane diverts to Malaga, provided I can collect my hold luggage and leave the airport there. But can I do that? Or will I / the luggage be forced to take the airlineís replacement bus to Gib?
Old Apr 25, 18, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Qwerty112345 View Post
Thanks. Group taxi either way. Looking at a Saturday morning flight (Iím assuming the border will not be too bad late morning) into Gib which is convenient for our group.

Iím actually no worse off if the plane diverts to Malaga, provided I can collect my hold luggage and leave the airport there. But can I do that? Or will I / the luggage be forced to take the airlineís replacement bus to Gib?
I would think you will have to go thru C&I at AGP regardless of where your final destination is as long as you werent starting from another Shergen Country. I did a NY-MAD-AGP on IB and didnt see my bag till AGP where it was separated from those flying MAD-AGP and we had to claim it in a different area and go thru Customs. So if you are flying from non-Shergen and end up in AGP Id imagine you would have to get your bag in the same area I had to, then once you have them whats to stop you from simply going on your merry way. HOWEVER, if theres an official rechecking in you dont do that then Id assume your return portion (if any) will be CXed. I would go as if Im gonna take the bus and see what occurs to the others, if they simply put their bags into the bus and no one is checking them off any list, then you might simply walk away
Old Apr 25, 18, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by craz View Post
I would think you will have to go thru C&I at AGP regardless of where your final destination is as long as you werent starting from another Shergen Country. I did a NY-MAD-AGP on IB and didnt see my bag till AGP where it was separated from those flying MAD-AGP and we had to claim it in a different area and go thru Customs. So if you are flying from non-Shergen and end up in AGP Id imagine you would have to get your bag in the same area I had to, then once you have them whats to stop you from simply going on your merry way. HOWEVER, if theres an official rechecking in you dont do that then Id assume your return portion (if any) will be CXed. I would go as if Im gonna take the bus and see what occurs to the others, if they simply put their bags into the bus and no one is checking them off any list, then you might simply walk away
This is where Europe gets complicated. Flights from the UK require immigration but not customs as they are in the customs union.
Old Apr 26, 18, 10:16 am
:D!
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I'd be surprised if the Spanish authorities allowed bags and passengers to transit "bus-side" to Gibraltar.

Though I wonder what happens if someone on a GIB flight diverted to AGP requires a Schengen visa to enter Spain but doesn't have one.
Old Apr 26, 18, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, very helpful responses. Sounds as though on the basis that you have to pass immigration you probably will also need to go through customs which means you have access to your bag and can quietly leave the remaining passengers at AGP. Although not a thesis which I would ever want to test.

As for not having the Schengen visa - my understanding from other threads is that people have been refused entry to Spain and forced to fly back to the UK in this circumstance. Ouch!
Old Apr 26, 18, 12:20 pm

Thanks all, very helpful responses. Sounds as though on the basis that you have to pass immigration you probably will also need to go through customs which means you have access to your bag and can quietly leave the remaining passengers at AGP. Although not a thesis which I would ever want to test.

As for not having the Schengen visa - my understanding from other threads is that people have been refused entry to Spain and forced to fly back to the UK in this circumstance. Ouch!
I didn't want to get into it too much but if you're somehow worried about customs, you will have to go through customs to get into Gib and then once again when getting back into Spain as Gibraltar is not in the customs union (despite being EU....lots of asterisks apply to Gibraltar). If you fly to AGP, then you would not go through customs since UK is currently in the customs union.
Old Apr 26, 18, 3:56 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Though I wonder what happens if someone on a GIB flight diverted to AGP requires a Schengen visa to enter Spain but doesn't have one.
Recent experience by proxy: immigration authorities will process an emergency visa for them there and then.

Happened to an Indian couple on the same flight as a couple of Indian colleagues of mine the other week. Note, however, that a lot of non-EU passport holders need specific permission to enter Gibraltar (over and above the UK) and so use a special exemption that allows them entry if they have a valid Schengen visa. So this situation is often avoided.
Old Apr 27, 18, 6:33 pm

Programs: MUCCI
My question is - if I get diverted from Gib to Malaga, can I simply collect my golf clubs, leave the airport and get a taxi from Malaga? Or is the 2 hour airline bus to Gib compulsory?
Yes you can easily do this if you want to.

All passengers proceed through Malaga airport normally, the coaches are landside - so after imigration and customs (coaches would be from the coach park underneath the terminal in Malaga)
Out of courtesy you might advise any ground handling agent representative - however they are normally hard to find, so I wouldn't put much that much effort into it.

Some hand baggage only passengers (who are actually heading to Gibraltar) will sometimes elect to get a taxi to avoid waiting for people to reclaim luggage before the official coaches leave.
Old Apr 27, 18, 6:35 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by LupineChemist View Post
How are you getting from GIB to your destination with your clubs? I'd be inclined to go to AGP just to avoid the border crossing, particularly on a Friday afternoon.
For pedestrians it is rarely bad. Yes there is a 4pm to 6pm surge on Weekdays, but not much.
Saturdays should be fine.

Search this Thread