FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   Portugal/Spain Itinerary Advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/1899414-portugal-spain-itinerary-advice.html)

johnesd Mar 18, 2018 2:38 pm

Portugal/Spain Itinerary Advice

I am traveling to Portugal and Spain. We arrive in Lisbon on Sep 27 and fly out of that city on Tuesday Oct 9 at 6am. We are spending the night at the Lisbon TRYP Oriente so this departure time should be manageable. To start we are planning to explore Lisbon and the surrounding area until the 30th. After that we are planning to go to Spain with the goal of meeting family in Malaga where they will be arriving on a cruise Oct 5th. We would like to see Seville, Ronda, Granada, Our general plan is to fly from Lisbon to Madrid on Sept 30 catching a train that day to Seville, with a possible stop in Cordoba. I am really unsure about the best way to get from Seville to Ronda/Granda/Malaga in the 4 available days. Would driving/bus or train be a better option. After meeting the family on Oct 5 we would probably catch a train back to Madrid to spend a couple days before flying to Lisbon on Oct 8th. Really the only set in stone part of this trip is in and out of Lisbon and the meeting in Malaga. So we are seeking advice about best ways to travel to these places in the allotted amount of time.

Thanks.

spainlover Mar 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Why not fly direct from Lisbon to Sevilla? I just checked and there are 3 nonstop flights per day. That will save you at least 4 hours.
you might want to rent a car to get around Andalucía. That would give you flexibility to stop in small towns or at beaches and sights.

johnesd Mar 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Excellent idea. I have been juggling lots of options but renting a car to travel in Andalusia seems the best way. I still have to end up back in Lisbon of course. A few days in Madrid seem nice after seeing the southern sights. Thanks for your input. It seems like we would probably rent a car in Seville and drop it in Malaga. Any recommendations on rentals?

CaptainMiles Mar 19, 2018 4:45 am

Originally Posted by johnesd (Post 29540795)
Excellent idea. I have been juggling lots of options but renting a car to travel in Andalusia seems the best way. I still have to end up back in Lisbon of course. A few days in Madrid seem nice after seeing the southern sights. Thanks for your input. It seems like we would probably rent a car in Seville and drop it in Malaga. Any recommendations on rentals?

You may want to pick up a car in Sevilla and drop it off in Madrid. That way you can use it to go to Toledo too (on the way between Andalucia/Granada and Madrid) then drop off as soon as you get to Madrid because it will be a hassle in the city.

Recommendations on rentals? Never ever ever leave anything in sight inside the vehicle while parked -- not even a mobile phone charging cable.

From the TRYP Oriente hotel to the airport you will require a taxi for that early morning transfer, as the metro won't running that early. Taxi won't be expensive, but it's another step. You may want to consider the TRYP at the airport, for an easy walk to the terminal.

BeachRat Mar 19, 2018 1:35 pm

We rented a car in Malaga via Hertz and dropped it off in Madrid last year. We drove through a lot of Andalucia and Extremadura, and it was really pretty easy overall. Make sure you've got GPS for your travels (either car rental or a mobile hotspot you can connect your phone to), and you should be in very good shape.

The AVE trains are generally great as an alternative, but they don't go to Granada or Ronda at the moment. You'll be limited to slower trains for those destinations.

johnesd Mar 19, 2018 6:40 pm

We have decided to remove Madrid from this trip. That makes everything easier. We'll probably fly back to Lisbon from Malaga. As for the TRYP Oriente, I meant to say Airport :) Thanks for the ideas.