Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Tranquil places to visit in summer in Cataluña

Old Mar 13, 18, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC

I got a great fare to BCN in mid-July and am hoping to spend most if not all my time relaxing in a non-urban environment (I love Barcelona but live in NYC and would like to get out of big cities for a while.)

Anyone have any ideas of relaxing, quiet places to go with a bit of history and ideally not masses of tourists?

I've been fascinated by Portbou since I passed through it on the train a few years ago - looks like it's very small, without a lot of development, and not a big tourist destination. It even made an appearance in Los Detectives Salvajes by Bolaño hehe. Would it be worth spending a few days there? I figure if I get bored, I can use it as a base to visit some other towns nearby - maybe go to Figueres for the Dalí museum, etc.

Alternatively, are there any towns worth visiting in the Pyrenees for hiking? I was thinking of perhaps going up to Andorra but don't know if that's optimal.

Also, Girona looks beautiful, and I'd love to visit. Would it be reasonably uncrowded?

I'd very much appreciate any thoughts from the experts on the forum. Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Hi, July is peak season but indeed some places will be more crowded than others...
Girona will be full of day trippers but less crowded at night. Consider staying at the AC Belavista hotel which is perched on top of a hill with wonderful views.
For small coastal villages, I recommend Llafranc and Callella de Palafrugell. Tossa de Mar is not a bad choice either; the coastal walk from Tossa to Lloret is also quite nice.
There are endless hiking opportunities in the Pyrenees. There are also MeetUp groups that leave every weekend to various hiking locations if you prefer to have a more social experience.
Lastly I recommend Ripoll. Beautiful town in the Catalan heartland with lots of hiking within easy reach.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Mar 13, 18, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Thanks for the tips, HalconBCN! Much appreciated.
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Stariott Lifetime Plat Premier, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I stayed at the AC Belavista mentioned, and it was a good choice. I also second Tossa de Mar. Hoping to explore further up the coast and maybe make it to Cadaques this year.
Old Mar 15, 18, 8:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Iberia Silver
Originally Posted by spainlover View Post
I stayed at the AC Belavista mentioned, and it was a good choice. I also second Tossa de Mar. Hoping to explore further up the coast and maybe make it to Cadaques this year.
Yes! AC has parking as well which is ideal if you rent a car.

Search this Thread