Getting from Porto Airport into the city

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.

I will be arriving at OPO circa 18:30 on 1 May. Google Maps shows my accommodation to be a 10 minute walk from Bolhão.

The Metro is obviously going to be the cheapest way to go. Is it safe to assume it will be straightforward to purchase a ticket via a machine? Will service be reduced on a public holiday to the point where it could be a LONG wait for a train that night?

Can I assume a 10 minute walk with a large suitcase around Bolhão around 20:00 is perfectly safe?

If the Metro is going to be unappealing for whatever reason, any experiences catching Uber from this airport?

Would appreciate any insight, thanks.

Last edited by Clay_C.; Feb 16, 2018 at 8:56 pm Reason: Typos, as usual.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
I will be arriving at OPO circa 18:30 on 1 May. Google Maps shows my accommodation to be a 10 minute walk from Bolhão.

The Metro is obviously going to be the cheapest way to go. Is it safe to assume it will be straightforward to purchase a ticket via a machine? Will service be reduced on a public holiday to the point where it could be a LONG wait for a train that night?

Can I assume a 10 minute walk with a large suitcase around Bolhão around 20:00 is perfectly safe?

If the Metro is going to be unappealing for whatever reason, any experiences catching Uber from this airport?

Would appreciate any insight, thanks.
Walking around Portugal is safe at all hours of the day (minus pickpockets).
You buy a metro ticket from the machine. It will either be a single trip that's valid for X number of minutes (depending on the number of zones), or a 24-hour ticket. Either ticket is good for transfers on buses and other metro lines within the validity time, just make sure to validate it each time you board another bus or tram.

It's all distance based with different zones. You need a Z4 ticket (2€ one way, 4€ for 24 hours).
Timetables are here. You're looking for line E towards Estádio do Dragão. It runs every 30 minutes on weekends/holidays.

Alternatively - you can always catch an uber or taxify into the center.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
Thank you!

The online timetable always has me walking to Barreiro and taking a bus from there for some reason. Google Maps shows me the E line route you suggest.

Any specific advice on catching Uber at OPO?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
Thank you!

The online timetable always has me walking to Barreiro and taking a bus from there for some reason. Google Maps shows me the E line route you suggest.

Any specific advice on catching Uber at OPO?
I haven't done it, but you will most likely be catching it at the departures level.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
You might want to Google-map the walking route from your transit stop and note any changes in elevation it shows you. Porto has VERY steep hills so just be sure you know what you're in for in terms up uphill, downhill, with luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.