Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking flight tips for ATL-BCN

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Booking flight tips for ATL-BCN

I need to book flights for ATL_BCN (Atlanta to Barcelona) for 2+month stay - January to March 2018. As it is such a long trip the possibility that the return date (or even city) will change is high.

I'd like a Premium Economy type flight ideally but of course that depends on how high the fares are.

Any suggestions at which airlines I should look at? Any tips?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
I need to book flights for ATL_BCN (Atlanta to Barcelona) for 2+month stay - January to March 2018. As it is such a long trip the possibility that the return date (or even city) will change is high.

I'd like a Premium Economy type flight ideally but of course that depends on how high the fares are.

Any suggestions at which airlines I should look at? Any tips?
In January there are no nonstops ATL-BCN, so you're going to have to connect.

Since you don't know your return date or city, you may be better off with a one-way ticket now and another one-way when you sort out your return. And for reasonably priced one-way in premium economy I suggest Norwegian. They fly direct to BCN from FLL and EWR, and I would strongly suggest FLL to avoid winter weather issues in EWR. So just buy a cheap ATL-FLL on any carrier and then a separate FLL-BCN on Norwegian premium cabin. For ATL-FLL Southwest may be best, you get two free bags and surely you will have luggage for your two-month stay, and Southwest has ATL-FLL nonstop for as little as $25, including those two free bags.

Keep in mind that you would be flying on separate tickets, so allow plenty of time for the transfer at FLL, including the possibility of delays and the need to claim bags and recheck them. Maybe even an overnight in FLL to protect against winter weather in ATL, where any inch of snow will shut down the airport.
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
In January there are no nonstops ATL-BCN, so you're going to have to connect.

Since you don't know your return date or city, you may be better off with a one-way ticket now and another one-way when you sort out your return. And for reasonably priced one-way in premium economy I suggest Norwegian. They fly direct to BCN from FLL and EWR, and I would strongly suggest FLL to avoid winter weather issues in EWR. So just buy a cheap ATL-FLL on any carrier and then a separate FLL-BCN on Norwegian premium cabin. For ATL-FLL Southwest may be best, you get two free bags and surely you will have luggage for your two-month stay, and Southwest has ATL-FLL nonstop for as little as $25, including those two free bags.

Keep in mind that you would be flying on separate tickets, so allow plenty of time for the transfer at FLL, including the possibility of delays and the need to claim bags and recheck them. Maybe even an overnight in FLL to protect against winter weather in ATL, where any inch of snow will shut down the airport.
Thanks. I was looking at British Airways flying through London but I wll checkout Norwegian
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:36 pm

Thanks. I was looking at British Airways flying through London but I wll checkout Norwegian
I thought Norwegian dont have laying down seats even in business class?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zibawal
I thought Norwegian dont have laying down seats even in business class?

I'm looking at Premium Economy, not business
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
I am curious as to what appeals to you in the BA PE product.

Seat pitch: BA 38", DY 46"
Advance seat assignments: BA pay extra, DY included
Lounge access: BA no, DY yes*
Checked luggage allowance: BA 2x23kg, DY 2x20kg

* (although, granted, there is no lounge at FLL, but there is at EWR, if you chose to go through there)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.