Current events in Barcelona

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current events in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
No problem driving down from Andorra to Barcelona today. We weren't stopped by Andorra customs nor Spanish customs. No sign of any abnormal activity.

However driving up to Andorra from France we saw a huge 2 km long queue heading back into France. But that's due to France's reaction to terrorism plus their obsession with cigarette and alcohol taxes. Plus it was Sunday. Hopefully we won't see that on the coast route on the way back.
Isn't it abnormal *not* to be stopped by customs when driving through Andorra? That's been my experience.

There can also be long waits along the coastal road northeast of Barcelona. IME it's better to cross the border between Spain and France on the autoroute.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't it abnormal *not* to be stopped by customs when driving through Andorra? That's been my experience.

There can also be long waits along the coastal road northeast of Barcelona. IME it's better to cross the border between Spain and France on the autoroute.
Historically I'm never stopped driving into Spain and always stopped driving into France from Andorra. However with the current political things going on I might have guessed that the Spanish police would be on the lookout for France-based Catalans. But that's probably just my imagination.

And yes the coastal route is generally always wide open.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I once was stopped for a couple hours on the coastal road when the officer wasn't sure whether my green card was valid (it was, no problem at other borders or on the autoroute crossing) and wanted to wait for his superior to return from lunch. Maybe it was a slow day or perhaps he was hoping for a bribe and I missed the clues.

I've also experienced long lines in both directions when driving through Andorra, only to be waived through with my foreign taxfree plates.

OTOH I've been pulled over at toll booths on the French autoroute to show documents and be questioned about whether I have a residence in Europe.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Forgot to mention at the bar late last night in Andorra, I ordered, in Spanish, a Cuba Libre and then rephrased it as a Catalunya Libre. I got some shocked looks and it was clear that among the bar staff there were both pro and anti independence folk. A bit of tension in the air.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Just got back from a 2 week trip in Spain. Encountered a couple demonstrations but everything appeared peaceful. Biggest impact was not being able to hail a taxi causing us to miss our dinner reservation. Just be smart
Old Nov 26, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Updates?

I am headed to Madrid in January. I would like to do a side trip to Barcelona.
In a perfect world, I would like to fly out of Barcelona. That would save me a round trip train ticket and save me moving hotels one more time, if I didn't have to fly back out of Madrid.
But if all heck breaks lose between now and then, a safer itinerary would be to fly in and out of Madrid, do a round trip train ticket closer to the date, if all stays status quo. But even then, a train strike could leave me stranded in Barcelona.
Thoughts?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
At this point I wouldn't worry about the political situation at all as far as logistics goes. I mean things can always go wrong, that's part of travel, but I would put politics causing you problems somewhere below an asteroid striking the airport at this point.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I assumed so, but wanted to make sure. When I googled latest Barcelona unrest, I got results from their football club.

On a side note, since you are in Madrid, would you know how easy is it to get tickets to a Real Madrid game, specifically the one against Villarreal in January?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I know very little about football, but I would assume a Villarreal game wouldn't be too hard.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Just an update as I made this trip in last year -- we absolutely enjoyed our time BCN. There were some protests but at no point did I feel nervous or anything. The residents were all extremely polite and friendly. There was more police in the streets which drove away most panhandlers. Definitely felt extremely safe, particularly when compared to Berlin or Rome.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was there in January. Other than some graffiti and a lot of Catalonian flags, there was nothing.
Actually, there was a peaceful protest in Madrid when I was there.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
@all, the political situation is very quiet now because the ones who organized the illegal referendum are either in jail or in Brussels. Please come and visit BCN; whatever happens politically you will not be inconvenienced. Also, we need your €¥€$ 😊
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
@all, the political situation is very quiet now because the ones who organized the illegal referendum are either in jail or in Brussels. Please come and visit BCN; whatever happens politically you will not be inconvenienced. Also, we need your €¥€$ 😊
I had a great time there in January. Wonderful people and I felt completely safe.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
@all, the political situation is very quiet now because the ones who organized the illegal referendum are either in jail or in Brussels. Please come and visit BCN; whatever happens politically you will not be inconvenienced. Also, we need your €¥€$ ��
Good to hear, we're looking forward to our visit in May, and never really considered NOT coming. We've heard about some animosity towards tourists in BCN though, and can totally understand the frustrations with having to deal with too many tourists (I live and work close to a couple of National Parks). Would you have any advice on how to NOT act like an idiot and piss off the locals? Should we try to learn basic Spanish and use it in restaurants, etc.? Thanks, looking forward to finally visit this beautiful city!

Last edited by altabello; Mar 8, 2018 at 9:26 am Reason: sp
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by altabello
Good to hear, we're looking forward to our visit in May, and never really considered NOT coming. We've heard about some animosity towards tourists in BCN though, and can totally understand the frustrations with having to deal with too many tourists (I live and work close to a couple of National Parks). Would you have any advice on how to NOT act like an idiot and piss off the locals? Should we try to learn basic Spanish and use it in restaurants, etc.? Thanks, looking forward to finally visit this beautiful city!
You will be fine. Catalonians are wonderful people. And Spanish isn't the favored language anyway!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.