Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Palma (Mallorca) in late December?

Old Aug 25, 17, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC

Wanted to solicit opinions of folks who may know better - is Palma a pleasant spot to visit in late December? I have only been to Menorca in October, and that was over 20 years ago...so I don't have a lot of relevant personal experience.

Thanks!
Old Aug 25, 17, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Ambassador, Melia Platinum, IB Silver, Aegean silver
It depends: December will be too cold for the beach, but it should be a pleasant enough time to do sighseeing in Palma and the island.
Old Aug 26, 17, 12:22 am

The Canary Islands are warmer and sunnier (and hence more popular) in winter than the Balearics. However as long as you aren't expecting to sunbathe and don't mind the risk of some grey days, then Palma will be fine for a visit.

Aside from the Canaries, you have to look towards the edge of Europe - think Cyprus/Tunisia/Israel - for warmer climes in winter.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Aug 26, 17 at 12:35 am
Old Aug 26, 17, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Danimalito View Post
It depends: December will be too cold for the beach, but it should be a pleasant enough time to do sighseeing in Palma and the island.
Not looking for beach weather - but somewhere that will (on average) be temperate enough to not be wearing full-on winter clothing in the day. I also don't want to travel too far (coming from London). I was originally thinking of Marrakech, but flight timing / pricing is not as optimal.
Old Aug 26, 17, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT something or other
YES, YES, YES to Mallorca in December!! We stayed at the Marriott timeshare about 15 minutes outside Palma Christmas week several years ago and had a blast. No beaching, and it can be rainy (like much of Europe then) but oh, the things to do and see. Mallorca is rich in history and architecture - Moorish and Christian influences (the Jews were eliminated in a late Inquisition effort in 1534 - the church-yard still there). Palma's older sections are very compact and fun walking. Joan Miro's home and studio is worth a visit - great outdoor sculpture and pleasant cafe and gift shop. You can get anywhere on the island by car in 30 minutes max, and exploring's great - not crowded that time of year. Food - The Mallorcans go in very big for seafood on New Years Eve, and a highlight of our trip was a visit to the local supermarket in Llucmajor watching the locals buying the most amazing quantities of crustaceans, octopuses, and the biggest squid I had ever seen. Otherwise, food is Catalan and French influenced. Wine - there's a small local winery whose reds were decent the year we were there. Finally, the betlems. That time of year, every town has, usually at the town hall, a "betlem" - "Bethelem" in Catalan. They are creches, but creches set in entire villages, often with mechanized figures and activities. The betlems alone make December a great time to visit Mallorca - just don't expect to spend time on the beaches.
Old Aug 27, 17, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by lskohn View Post
That time of year, every town has, usually at the town hall, a "betlem" - "Bethelem" in Catalan. They are creches, but creches set in entire villages, often with mechanized figures and activities. The betlems alone make December a great time to visit Mallorca - just don't expect to spend time on the beaches.
I had no idea the word 'creche' was used for nativity scene in the US. In the UK it just means a nursery/daycare facility.
Old Aug 27, 17, 5:42 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Also, note that you will want to have a jacket for driving around since there are mountains on the island and it can even snow at the higher altitudes, but that's just in case you need to get out in the cold, you wouldn't really need to wear it most of the time, regular long sleeves should be plenty.
Old Sep 1, 17, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I found the offseason in Ibiza to be wonderful. I bet Palma is too.
Old Sep 2, 17, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Have myself booked! LHR-MUC-PMI on the way there and PMI-ZRH-TXL on the way out (doing NYE in Berlin). Anyone have food or hotel recs? It's a bit pricey, but the new Hotel Sant Jaume looks very appealing. Don't mind spending less money but I would rather not end up in a generic mid-level room.

Search this Thread