Wagamama to open their first restaurant in Spain

Old May 3, 17, 10:07 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery

WAGAMAMA TO OPEN FIRST RESTAURANT IN SPAIN TODAY

British pan-Asian restaurant group, wagamama will open its first restaurant today in the Spanish capital, Madrid with a second site to follow in June.

Opening in the Salamanca district of Madrid, wagamama will offer its trademark menu and dining experience with space for 180 covers.

Alvaro Salafranco, managing director wagamama Spain and Portugal, said: “Wagamama has 25 years of experience and success and continues to be as appealing and relevant today as in 1992.
Wonderful news.

Cheers & Safe Travels.
Old May 6, 17, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Good to know
Old May 14, 17, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Went last night. Seating is horrendously uncomfortable. Don't think they've figured out the seasoning yet--the one at Faneuil Hall was better.

Why one would visit Madrid to eat here with an already legendary Spanish food culture? Probably the same people that frequent Starbucks around the world.
Old May 14, 17, 5:23 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by GuyverII View Post
Why one would visit Madrid to eat here with an already legendary Spanish food culture? Probably the same people that frequent Starbucks around the world.
Wagamama is in terms of chain restaurant IMO still among the better ones. That said, I would definitely prefer a tapas bar or restaurant in Madrid over Wagamama.

Moreover, I'm no longer going to Wagamama as frequently as in the past. This is mainly due to me finding a recipe for the katsu curry sauce. So much better when you do it from scratch. And while you can get it on any corner in Japan, it is much more difficult back home.

BTW: I don't know anybody that doesn't love fried chicken with curry.
Old May 19, 17, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With a few honorable exceptions, most "Japanese" food in Spain is already an East Asian's version of what constitutes Japanese cuisine.

I used to go to Wagamama back in the 90s, but I know better now.

If you want to try Spanish/Japanese fusion, try the unfortunately named "Oribu Gastrobar". They have their own versions of Ramen.

My (Japanese) husband was working in Madrid not so long ago. He loves Spanish food but went to check out Kaguya.
Old May 20, 17, 3:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
I don't think this was targeted at people visiting Madrid.
Old May 23, 17, 2:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
With a few honorable exceptions, most "Japanese" food in Spain is already an East Asian's version of what constitutes Japanese cuisine.

I used to go to Wagamama back in the 90s, but I know better now.

If you want to try Spanish/Japanese fusion, try the unfortunately named "Oribu Gastrobar". They have their own versions of Ramen.

My (Japanese) husband was working in Madrid not so long ago. He loves Spanish food but went to check out Kaguya.
Oribu is hands down 10 times better than the stuff at Wagamama. Lunch set menu was around 10-12 euros. Great great deal.

What did he think of Kaguya?
Old May 23, 17, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He didn't rave about Kaguya, but it was a satisfying experience.
That's actually quite high praise from MrLapLap.
Old Sep 7, 17, 8:07 am
Suspended

He didn't rave about Kaguya, but it was a satisfying experience.
That's actually quite high praise from MrLapLap.
I'm still having quite the time trying to find close to authentic Japanese rice here--meals are usually served with dry rice (doesn't stick together like the real deal) or, Jasmine rice. We bought a Tiger rice cooker to make our own, but yet to find a restaurant that serves it correctly.
Old Sep 11, 17, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still having quite the time trying to find close to authentic Japanese rice here--meals are usually served with dry rice (doesn't stick together like the real deal) or, Jasmine rice. We bought a Tiger rice cooker to make our own, but yet to find a restaurant that serves it correctly.
Just spent 5 weeks in Alicante and took several kilos of rice with me to avoid exactly this.

The irony is that some extremely good Japanese rice is grown in Spain.

It's called Minori and is the Akita Komachi type - alas it's not easy to find. Here's a link to the producers
http://oapsa.com/ENG/
It's available online here:
http://www.tokyo-ya.es/arroces-y-mochi

If you like haiga mai (rice where the bran has been partly removed) then I'd recommend the Balilla x Solana rice from the Calsparra region that is labelled "semi integral". You just need to prepare and cook it as if it were haiga mai.
Old Sep 14, 17, 4:05 am
Suspended

Thanks so much! Let me know if you are down our way Valencia/Alicante and we can meet for lunch or dinner!

Just spent 5 weeks in Alicante and took several kilos of rice with me to avoid exactly this.

The irony is that some extremely good Japanese rice is grown in Spain.

It's called Minori and is the Akita Komachi type - alas it's not easy to find. Here's a link to the producers
http://oapsa.com/ENG/
It's available online here:
http://www.tokyo-ya.es/arroces-y-mochi

If you like haiga mai (rice where the bran has been partly removed) then I'd recommend the Balilla x Solana rice from the Calsparra region that is labelled "semi integral". You just need to prepare and cook it as if it were haiga mai.

Search this Thread