Visiting Gibraltar in early October?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Gibraltar in early October?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Hope you don't mind, but I will reply in a different order, this is boring, but I wanted to write it for the benefit of anyone who arrives on the page looking for an answer.

Originally Posted by Analise
I have British Ł; I don't want to go to a cash machine to get Gibraltar pounds as I know they won't be accepted in the UK.
I think you are clear on this, but I write it for the benefit of anyone else reading:
NOTE: There is only 1 currency, the Pound Sterling (GBP). Just different issuers. All have same value. It is not a pegged currency, just different physical issuers.

It is similar in many ways to the situation you get in Scotland. In Scotland notes issued by the retail banks (Clydesdale Bank, RBS etc) circulate alongside and totally intermixed with notes issued by the Bank of England (the central bank for the sterling currency). All have face values in GBP, they just have different issuers.

In Gibraltar you will find notes issued by the Government of Gibraltar circulating completely intermixed with notes issued by the Bank of England (the central bank for the currency), all have face values in GBP, just different issuers.

In addition, in Gibraltar there are locally issued coins circulating completely intermixed with UK issued coins. The coins are the same sizes, but with different designs. The notes are different sizes.

Note: Scottish, Northern Irish and other local issues of GBP notes/coin are NOT generally accepted in Gibraltar. Only Gibraltar & UK coin, and Gibraltar and Bank of England (the central bank) notes.

Additionally, as you say Gibraltar notes and coin are rarely accepted outside the Gibraltar. There is nothing to compel people to accept them outside Gibraltar, but there is nothing legally blocking them either. (You might note that Scottish notes are not actually 'legal tender' anywhere - not even in Scotland!)

The main point I wanted to get across, is that it is one currency. Just different issues.

What causes confusion?

A lot of confusion comes from the ISO list of currency codes, which has a 3 character code of 'GIP' for the 'Gibraltar Pound' - but this is is just a code reservation. NO such currency actually exists in practice. It does NOT exist in physical form, nor does it exist electronically. The Gibraltar notes and coins have face values in GBP. This is NOT a currency GIP being pegged to GBP. (Lots of people get this wrong).

You will see airport bureaux de change in the UK trying to charge a rate to convert into/out of Gibraltar issued notes. I.e. they will try to charge people a premium of to convert UK notes into Gibraltar issued notes.

This is perfectly legal - you could charge people to convert a BoE Ł10 to 2xŁ5 if you wanted, etc Or to convert a Scottish bank note to a different one, etc.

There is some acceptable basis for this service in the arrivals area at UK airports - as people WILL have difficulty using/depositing Gibraltar issued notes in the UK.

However, it is outright scandalous that they then take these collected Gibraltar issued notes upstairs to the departure lounges at the UK airports, and try to sell them to uninformed people, charging them another premium to cary out the work of actually repatriating the notes back to Gibraltar for them! Some people get quite angry (with the UK airport money changers) when they arrive in Gibraltar and find it is all intermixed.

Sadly, some of these money changers in UK do use 'GIP' as the code for Gibraltar Issued notes, even though they are NOT 'GIP, and not a separately quoted currency. Front line staff in these airports often don't know the repatriation trick the money change company is trying to pull -and staff insist 'you must have Gibraltar notes in Gibraltar, etc)

An Exchange Rate?

Now, some people will try to convert 1 GBP to 1 GIP online, and see a rate difference. What is going on?

Firstly, GIP does not actually exist, I repeat that.

Next, if was assume this 'rate' comes from a general quotes service (and not a company trying to charge people a premium to swap Gibraltar issued notes - which are not GIP), then it is usually because they have setup GIP as a clone of GBP, to avoid generating an error on enquires.

So, if they have setup the non-existant GIP to mirror GBP, what is actually happening is one of 3 things:

- The system stores it's base currency in USD (etc), and is using the same figures for GBP and GIP, but the conversion GIP to USD to GBP (or vice-versa) generates a rounding error.

- The system stores it's base currency in USD (etc) and even though the figures are the same for both codes, the system does not understand that it is not a conversion, so it takes a GIP(really GBP) buy rate and compares it to a GBP(for GBP) sell rate. And the difference comes from buy-sell difference. (Hence GIP:EUR and GBP:EUR would produce same answer)

- The system is storing base currency in USD (etc), and it is trying to use identical rates for GBP and the GIP code they have setup. But, the GIP code is updating less often than GBP, so the rates relative to the system base do not agree (as they come from different times).

It could be any/all of the above combined. I've seen issues that have been traced to these quite often. Other things to, such as systems programmed to round down always, or apply haircuts to 1.000:1.000 rates!

But, I repeat: GIP does not exist.

Last edited by David-A; Apr 12, 2017 at 6:37 pm
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:09 pm

Shorter answers now I promise!

it looks like I can get an unlimited bus ticket/pass for the day. Or is it 24 hours from when I purchase it? I will want to have dinner, for example, in town and not at the hotel. But I will want to take the bus back up to the hotel; I believe I have a choice of the #2 or #3 bus? The unlimited day pass would be helpful.
There are two bus companies in Gibraltar.
Both offer single day tickets (and it is calendar day, not 24 hours)
Sadly they do NOT accept each others tickets.

Until literally a week ago, it was very simple:
  • One company operated route 5 - the only route from the border/airport area which went to 'Market Place' (just outside casemates square at the northern end of main street) and from there onwards to Morrisons Supermarket / the Hospital (Europort area).
  • the other company operated ALL other routes (nothing from the border/airport area, need to walk across the runway or further)

(You may see old guides saying 'blue buses' vs 'red buses' to distinguish the companies, this is no longer true. All new busses are red, although some blue and some white are also in use.)

Given that route 5 wasn't really sensible for people heading to the main hotels, I used to encourage people wanting to use the bus from the airport to walk.

At least walk across the runway (a quirky experience itself - until you find it normal), and then take one of the other buses (From the main company buses) or just continue walking. - Plenty of people have walked form the airport.

Route 5 also wasn't really a good option for day visitors either.

HOWEVER, in the last week, the company operating route 5 have launched a new route 10.
This is much more interesting - it goes from the airport/border area, all the way to the lower cable car station / alameda gardens / trafalgar cemetery area.

This is just at the bottom of the short hill up to the rock hotel. As a result this could be much more useful to you.
I've not had a chance to use it myself yet.

So I think you have 4 options, in cost order:

- Taxi (from airport)
- Rock Hotel organised transfer (from airport)
- Bus route 10 (you need to walk across the road, the border/airport stop is really positioned for people crossing the border on foot, but it is just across the road.)
- Walk (all the way)

You can argue all of these both ways.

It is possible there may be further changes to bus routes by the time of your visit.

NOTE: Currently there is only a limited evening service, but there is a lot of pressure to expand this. HOWEVER do keep in mind Gibraltar is a really compact place and utterly safe. I can't think of anywhere you would be eating that it would not be possible (or indeed desirable to walk back to the rock hotel, rather than bus). If you didn't want to walk, it would be taxi.

Last edited by David-A; Apr 12, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:18 pm

So, seeing Gibraltar:
The weather does l look good. I hope it's not too windy for the cable cars to be suspended.
Highly unlikey for cable car to be suspended at that time of year, but you never know.
Also, remember you don't need to use the cable car - you can walk, or take a taxi tour to the same places.

A lot. I walk all over Manhattan. I want to see Europa Point for example. Would you know how long of a walk it is between Europa Point and the Rock Hotel?
Excellent.

As I said above there are three ways to get 'up the rock'.
- Cable Car
- Taxi tour
- walking.

Some people who are staying, try to split it into separate trips, doing both cable car and taxi, etc. or cable up, walk out, etc However, if you are up for walking, then.... excellent.

I will try to make a scribble map of my current 'ultimate route'.

PLEASE remind me to do this, if I forget.

I want to see Europa Point for example. Would you know how long of a walk it is between Europa Point and the Rock Hotel?
Personally, Europa Point might be one place you might want to use a bus to reach. I will try to weave it into my plan above.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Thanks David-A, again, for taking the time to share such detailed responses.

A few questions: So to board Bus #10 when I arrive (assuming I do this), you wrote the following:

- Bus route 10 (you need to walk across the road, the border/airport stop is really positioned for people crossing the border on foot, but it is just across the road.)
You did not mention walking across the runway so I assume as you said it's by the border. May I also assume by October, there will be signage at the airport for Bus 10 that I can follow once I am outside arrivals? Does this new Bus 10 stop on Europa Road at the driveway of the Rock Hotel?

I have a few more bus questions. My information was from the Gibraltar bus website which now I see from what you wrote has changed quite a bit in this past week. If I want to take the 10, 2 and 3 buses, is there an unlimited day ticket that includes all 3? I know there are other bus lines but it seems like the 2 and 3 go into town from the hotel and the 2 goes to Europa Point. I now see the 2 runs every 15 minutes until 21:10 so I will need to watch that in case I don't want to walk up the hill after dinner. I can't tell if the last #3 bus is 20:30 or 21:00 for weekdays when I click the timetable. I haven't found anything online regarding cost or timetable for the new #10.

There is a new 12 sided UK Ł coin that will replace the round Ł in October. Will the GIB issue Ł coin also be 12 sided or will its Ł stay round?

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Last edited by Analise; Apr 12, 2017 at 8:32 pm
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:48 pm

Thanks David-A, again, for taking the time to share such detailed responses.

A few questions: So to board Bus #10 when I arrive (assuming I do this), you wrote the following:
You did not mention walking across the runway so I assume as you said it's by the border. May I also assume by October, there will be signage at the airport for Bus 10 that I can follow once I am outside arrivals? Does this new Bus 10 stop on Europa Road at the driveway of the Rock Hotel?
You would not need to cross the runway to get to route 5/10 stop.

And you can't get lost!
(That said, there will not be signage - sadly - but you can't get lost).

When you emerge from the terminal, just beyond the forecourt carpark you will see a road running left-right in front of you. Looking to your right you will see the border crossing point to/from Spain, looking to your left the rock. The road runs from the border towards the rock.

You just want to walk to the road, and - IF going for a bus - cross over onto the other side (you will see the bus stop).

(If however you were walking all the way to the Rock Hotel, etc I would stay on the airport terminal side of the road.)

I have a few more bus questions. My information was from the Gibraltar bus website which now I see from what you wrote has changed quite a bit in this past week.
That's an unofficial site someone created in frustraiton at lack of official ones!
(and they after official ones appear, at poor quality of information).

If I want to take the 10, 2 and 3 buses, is there an unlimited day ticket that includes all 3? I know there are other bus lines but it seems like the 2 and 3 go into town from the hotel and the 2 goes to Europa Point. I now see the 2 runs every 15 minutes until 21:10 so I will need to watch that in case I don't want to walk up the hill after dinner. I can't tell if the last #3 bus is 20:30 or 21:00 for weekdays when I click the timetable. I haven't found anything online regarding cost or timetable for the new #10.
5 & 10 are one company.
All other routes are the other company.

So there would be not tickets covering 10 and the others you mention.

Timetables are currently very poorly designed, they tell the time the service leaves the start of the route, not the time it will pass any stop. A gibraltar government report published this week identified a huge need for improvement in this area.
So things may change by time you arrive.

ANYWAY. I really don't think you will need as many buses as you think you do.
Rock hotel into town is a very short walk.

There is another route you might use, if I get around to drawing the map I want to draw you if you want to walk the upper rock.

I strongly suggest holding off on planning this in any more detail until nearer the time, as I think things may change. Either way, don't worry incredible compact place.

There is a new 12 sided UK Ł coin that will replace the round Ł in October. Will the GIB issue Ł coin also be 12 sided or will its Ł stay round?
Yes - will switch to 12 side, but NOT quite at the same time.

Reasons to switch:
- UK market is the source for coin operated machines (vending machines, car parking meters, etc.)
- Reasons for UK switch is due to forgery, we don't the forgers (who have the gear) turning their attention to Gib market.

However, currently the production process is full committed to UK coins. Gibraltar issue is apparently as soon as capacity becomes available.

What is not clear is if Gibraltar businesses, etc will still accept UK round Ł1 coins after their withdrawal in the UK.

I would NOT expect new Gib issue 12 sided Ł1 coins to be in use by time you arrive.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

I will follow your advice and not worry about the minutia of bus transportation until it is closer to my trip. Maybe by then they'll have an official Gibraltar bus website!

My plan for my full day is to take the cable car to the top of the rock when the cable car service opens. I'll spend a few hours there and then take the cable car down and catch the 2 bus to Europa Point. After, I'll take the 2 back into Gibraltar town. Then I'll wander.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:07 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by David-A
You will see airport bureaux de change in the UK trying to charge a rate to convert into/out of Gibraltar issued notes. I.e. they will try to charge people a premium of to convert UK notes into Gibraltar issued notes....

However, it is outright scandalous that ... charging them another premium to cary out the work of actually repatriating the notes back to Gibraltar for them! Some people get quite angry (with the UK airport money changers) when they arrive in Gibraltar and find it is all intermixed.
I agree that this is scandalous.

However, outside Europe, I occasionally find bureaux de change that sell Gibraltar (or Scottish / NI) notes for cheaper than they would sell the same amount in BoE notes. Sometimes, they will even agree to directly take Ł9.xx of my BoE notes and give me Ł10 in Sco/NI/Gib etc. I have bought St Helena and Falklands Islands notes in this way too, although I kept them for my banknote collection rather than trying to exchange them.

May I ask what the current status of these notes are in Gibraltar?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SzGXoBrMxd...und%2B1988.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l1g6QP9mag...nds%2B1995.JPG

I obtained quite a lot of them on my last trip to Asia, but HSBC in London accepted them for deposit into my account, so I didn't need to find out what would happen if I tried to use them in Gibraltar... but I would still be interested to know.

Originally Posted by David-A
What is not clear is if Gibraltar businesses, etc will still accept UK round Ł1 coins after their withdrawal in the UK.
Can I clarify, so the current Gibraltar round Ł1 will continue circulating in Gibraltar after 15 October, but there will eventually be a 12-sided Ł1 with a Gibraltar design?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by :D!
I agree that this is scandalous.
What puts the firms in danger, is that they have not properly briefed their staff. Multiple occasions I've been walking past such places money changers in UK airpors - my ears prick up on mention of Gibraltar - and I hear the staff member giving 'advice' that is outright wrong, and without any caveat. I've interjected "couldn't help overhearing ...". Sometimes I've been believed, sometimes not.

Originally Posted by :D!
First is Ł1 note - with serial number beginning L. This was demonetised (cease to be 'current or legal tender') on 1st Jan 1996.

Second is a Ł5 note with serial number beginning AA. I know these were with 'withdrawn from circulation' in August 2011 (that is when banks would stop accepting them).
However I also know the Treasury Department would continue to accept them after this date.

The exact policy with regard to acceptance of formally demonetised notes, and notes withdrawn from circulation I will admit I don't know. Will try to find out. I'd guess/expect the treasury to continue to accept them on an open ended basis.

I also would point out some of these (especially the earlier ones) go for well above face value on eBay, etc.

Can I clarify, so the current Gibraltar round Ł1 will continue circulating in Gibraltar after 15 October, but there will eventually be a 12-sided Ł1 with a Gibraltar design?
Yes, that is the current position.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
The weather does l look good. I hope it's not too windy for the cable cars to be suspended. I guess I'll cross the bridge….

I will fly in from the UK. I hope my passport gets stamped with a Gibraltar entry stamp.

That is exactly what I'll be doing. I'll fly on DL arriving at 07:50 and take the BA flight leaving at 12:25.

I'm looking at the Rock. The Eliot seems to be going through miserable construction and when I've reached out to the manager regarding when the end date is, she hasn't responded. I emailed her twice. The Rock, however, has answered my questions within a day. They'll even provide transfer service from GIB to the hotel for just Ł7.

That is exactly what I'm doing.

A lot. I walk all over Manhattan. I want to see Europa Point for example. Would you know how long of a walk it is between Europa Point and the Rock Hotel?

Also, it looks like I can get an unlimited bus ticket/pass for the day. Or is it 24 hours from when I purchase it? I will want to have dinner, for example, in town and not at the hotel. But I will want to take the bus back up to the hotel; I believe I have a choice of the #2 or #3 bus? The unlimited day pass would be helpful.

I have British Ł; I don't want to go to a cash machine to get Gibraltar pounds as I know they won't be accepted in the UK. I'll be flying to London from GIB and spending about 4 days there before returning to JFK. So I hope to use my credit card whenever I can and use cash for the bus, lunch/coffee, and bottled water.

Thank you for your extensive answers, David-A.
When I visited GIB I stayed at The Sunborn Hotel which was really excellent and was recommended by a couple of people. They weren't wrong as it was a great place and you can easily walk to it from the airport. In fact I'd say definitely walk from the airport as you get to cross the runway on foot (and take pictures). I booked with BA Holidays and had the business class flight from London included in the price which was sub Ł1,000 for three nights/four days. Next time I'm going to book a Reward Flight Saver with Avios and the room separately. I got a room/stateroom on the runway side of the ship so I could watch the late flights arriving and leaving from my room. Okay so that was perhaps a bit Flyertalkesque but It's quieter at night that side. Also as there are only an average of 6 flights a day and the runway is tiny, this is quite an event. I was on the top deck by the pool for one landing/take off and everyone stopped to watch. I met the hotel General Manager in the gym who was charming and he clearly has a lot of experience. He asked if I had any suggestions to make the place even better and I was hard pressed to think of anything. I ate so much at breakfast that I normally skipped lunch.

There was a thread on the BA board last year about flying in (Flying into GIB ...)and which side of the plane has the best views.
A trip up the Rock is worth it especially if it's a nice day, you get a spectacular view. I'd take the cable car unless you fancy a long walk. Word of advice though the barbary macaques will steal anything from you so don't take anything in a bag up the rock. They say plastic bags because they assume there will be food in them but trust me it's any kind of bag, paper, platsic etc. I had just bought a few souvenirs, stuffed monkey toys for young relatives and had them in a paper bag close to my chest. I was standing at the top watching the macaques with a group of other tourists. A macaque ran across the road snatched my bag and went back into the undergrowth. It happened so fast I hadn't really worked out what had happened by the time it was back across the road. Three of them then opened the bag and removed the toys tasting each one to check it wasn't edible! I could see the funny side with the other tourists making jokes about them returning the toys to the gift shop for a refund. One little girl had had a stuffed monkey round her neck and one of the macaque population had taken that from her. She was fine with it especially when her father said he'd buy her another one when they got back down .

I didn't do the WWII caves which I am going to have to go back and rectify. I was going to go when the weather was rubbish but the weather never was (except on the way back to the airport where it got cloudy). The 100 Ton Guns are interesting as is the highest point O'Hara's Battery and also Europa point. There's also the Botanic garden and the Moorish Castle/Tower of Homage. If you fancy a drink in an odd location you can visit Morrisons supermarket which has a bar in it and the only British Supermarket anywhere to do so as far as I know. I did do the beach, very relaxing and sat out on deck on board the hotel in the residents only area reading my book and tanning myself.

If you're flying BA in Club Europe or have any status in One World (not sure I'd pay to go in though), then try the Calpe Lounge at the airport. The view of the Rock is great and made even better by a cold drink or two.
Also British comedian Mark Steel did a standup gig/radio show about Gibraltar which is worth a listen as it gives you a lot of info about the place.

He sums the place up as:

Lighthouse,
Mosque,
Cannon,
Rock,
Monkeys,
Cannon,
Fort,
Pub,
Pub,
Duty Free Shop,
Duty Free Shop,
Canon,
Duty Free Shop,
Canon,
Runway,
High Street,
Other Bit Of Runway,
Spain!

Last edited by Jimmie76; Apr 15, 2017 at 7:26 am
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:53 am
Original Poster

I was reading the BA board and found that Mark Steel comedy sketch; I listened to all of it and enjoyed it! Thanks.

The Sunborn was out of my price range as I did consider it. I got a decent deal from the Rock Hotel that includes breakfast. Thanks for your post, Jimmie76.

What I haven't done is bought the BA tickets because I have a choice of returning to LHR on the 11:55am flight or the 17:10 (the approximate times from memory). Not sure yet.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I was reading the BA board and found that Mark Steel comedy sketch; I listened to all of it and enjoyed it! Thanks.

The Sunborn was out of my price range as I did consider it. I got a decent deal from the Rock Hotel that includes breakfast. Thanks for your post, Jimmie76.

What I haven't done is bought the BA tickets because I have a choice of returning to LHR on the 11:55am flight or the 17:10 (the approximate times from memory). Not sure yet.
If it helps I was on the later flight as I wasn't sure I'd get up and be ready for the earlier one. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Jimmie!
Old May 10, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
You can also do a day trip to Tangiers (Morocco) from Tarifa (on Spanish side).

All the large shops and many not so large shops in London will accept Gibraltar pounds. If you really get stuck you can walk into any bank and they will exchange them for English pounds with no charge. Just don't take Gib pounds back with you to the US.

Of course if it was possible to add a few more days in Spain then day trips to the following would really be worth it (though you would probably have to rent a car):
Seville
Cordoba
Granada

Nearby you can visit Malaga or Marbella.

Last edited by jahason; May 10, 2017 at 8:49 am
Old May 11, 2017, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jahason
If you really get stuck you can walk into any bank and they will exchange them for English pounds with no charge. Just don't take Gib pounds back with you to the US.
At no cost I can exchange GIBŁ for UKŁ?

Of course if it was possible to add a few more days in Spain then day trips to the following would really be worth it (though you would probably have to rent a car):
Seville
Cordoba
Granada

Nearby you can visit Malaga or Marbella.
Thanks.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:48 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
At no cost I can exchange GIBŁ for UKŁ?
If they do it, they will not charge.

But UK banks may not do it for a non-customer. I would try HSBC first and also Barclays, Natwest, Lloyds (in decreasing order of likelihood that they will help).

When I visited, I was unable to get any Gib pounds without asking specifically for them. Paying with Bank of England notes always resulted in BoE notes as change.

As discussed upthread the coins will work in machines in the UK even if rejected by humans; just remember to ask for a new pound or two 50p coins if you get any round pounds in your final transactions before leaving

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.