FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   Cruise out of Barcelona, but flight LAX-LIS, CDG-LAX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/1830162-cruise-out-barcelona-but-flight-lax-lis-cdg-lax.html)

hoangb Mar 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Cruise out of Barcelona, but flight LAX-LIS, CDG-LAX

Hi,

I have an upcoming cruise out of Barcelona this summer. However, since I have never been to this part of Europe, I am thinking of flying into LIS and stay a day. Then take a one way fright from LIS to BCN and visit a couple of days before the cruise departs. Once the cruise returns to Barcelona, I plan on flying to CDG (Paris) and visit a couple of days before flying back to LAX.

What do you think of this idea? I have a US passport, so I assume no visa is necessary for visiting these countries, right?

Any thoughts/input on my plan is much appreciated. Thankjks.

CaptainMiles Mar 18, 2017 3:08 am

Originally Posted by hoangb (Post 28050885)
I have an upcoming cruise out of Barcelona this summer. However, since I have never been to this part of Europe, I am thinking of flying into LIS and stay a day. Then take a one way fright from LIS to BCN and visit a couple of days before the cruise departs.

You may want to consider flying TP with their free stopover in LIS. A day for LIS is a bit short. You can stopover for up to 3.5 days (84 hours) for no extra fare. That way you would be on one ticket LAX-xxx-LIS-BCN and the LIS-BCN comes free.

Once the cruise returns to Barcelona, I plan on flying to CDG (Paris) and visit a couple of days before flying back to LAX.
And if you took TP out for the free stopover in LIS on the way out, you will probably be on a roundtrip TP ticket. In that case, I would take them up on the free stopover on the return, flying ORY-OPO(stopover)-EWR-LAX for some time to see the north of Portugal too.

I have a US passport, so I assume no visa is necessary for visiting these countries, right?
For the time being you don't need a visa. But seeing how US relations with Europe are souring quickly, I would not be surprised if some form of visa or ESTA-like formality was needed by summer. It'll be all over the news if that happens.

hoangb Mar 20, 2017 4:19 pm

CaptainMiles,

Thank you for your response. As it turned out, I ended up booking a mulitiple destination ticket from LAX to CDG and then return LIS to LAX.

In between I will take a one way ticket from CDG to BCN. Then once I return to port in Barcelona, I will fly from BCN to LIS and spend a day in Lisbon before flying back to LA from LIS the next day.

This actually turned out cheaper than had a booked a RT ticket from LAX to BCN, let alone needing to get additional transportation from Barcelona to Paris and Lisbon.