FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar-713/)
-   -   BCN airport transfer to Barcelona City.... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain-portugal-gibraltar/1820319-bcn-airport-transfer-barcelona-city.html)

QuesoDeCan Feb 7, 2017 2:02 pm

BCN airport transfer to Barcelona City....

I am finalising my plans to travel from IAD to BCN early May for the F1 race at catalunya.

For those who have gone, my question is if I am arriving laate say poast 5pm, how is traffic going from BCN airport to downtown Barcelona? I'd rather NOT take a taxi, and IF if have to, I'd take the aerobus and/or metro/train....but say I arrive at 3 or 4pm which is the beginning of rush hour (I think...) How is taking the aerobus from BCN airport to a landmark near hotel where I plan to stay? If I recall...even when I travelled to Tokyo and Milan luggage was put under the bus. In the case of Tokyo I was not too worried, but when I flew into MXP the 1st time, I took a bus and luggage was put under the bus for the drive from the AP to Milan. There were alot of people at the MXP pickup zone which I kept an eye on, as I had some funny vibes.

Nonetheless nothing was lost (luckily) - but for the instance when I get to BCN and take the aerobus from the BCN airport to near where I am staying....if there are several stops, I don't want my luggage to mysteriously walk away by itself (know what I mean?). Need I worry or am I being a 'worry wart' for when I travel to BCN.

I know there is taxi service but upwards of EUR30, but being able to save esp with the EUR at a 30% premium on the USD.....

So....whats y'alls take on this? TIA!!!

ajeleonard Feb 7, 2017 2:06 pm

You take your own luggage onboard Aerobus and put in on racks

It's good to be vigilant when travelling but you do need a sense of perspective

Palal Feb 7, 2017 2:53 pm

I'd say that 5PM is early for it to be rush hour.

spainlover Feb 8, 2017 11:54 am

Agreed that 5pm is early for rush hour in Barcelona. Luggage is on the bus and in sight. Obviously you should pay some attention, but the Aerobus is in my mind the best way to get to and from the airport if you're staying near one of the places it stops.

QuesoDeCan Feb 9, 2017 10:08 am

as a generalasation I was using 5pm...as here in the dc area, 5pm is the beginning of rush hour...so yah, what's the rush hour time frame for Barcelona?

hotel_user Mar 13, 2017 4:13 pm

Don't forget you also have the train to Barcelona Sants ( about every 30 mins and about 4€ ) and there is a metro link as well.

Be on guard on the metro.

QuesoDeCan Mar 29, 2017 8:06 am

I finalized my arrival plans, and I'll be arriving at BCN at ~2030H which I am guessing is going to be towards the end of rush hour.

I am planning to take the aerobus and avoid taxi/metro as who knows what the meter will be like on the taxi and how many people will be on metro for my expedition to the lodging portion.

Any other ideas/helpful points for a 1st timer to BCN (and GVA)?

HalconBCN Apr 2, 2017 7:14 am

Originally Posted by QuesoDeCan (Post 28101692)
I finalized my arrival plans, and I'll be arriving at BCN at ~2030H which I am guessing is going to be towards the end of rush hour.

I am planning to take the aerobus and avoid taxi/metro as who knows what the meter will be like on the taxi and how many people will be on metro for my expedition to the lodging portion.

Any other ideas/helpful points for a 1st timer to BCN (and GVA)?

I live here in BCN so I can advise on your questions.

Rush hour traffic is 6-8pm so by the time you arrive you will not have any traffic issues.

The Aerobus costs 10.20€ for the return ticket and is an efficient service especially if you are staying nearby one of the 4 stops.

Taxis are not a bad option either if you wish to get to your accomodation quickly. Most drivers are honest.

Watch your belongings like a hawk when you are waiting at the Aerobus stop to return to the airport. Pickpocketing does happen at these stops as tourists are a prime target for petty crime in BCN. Theives are looking for easy targets, so don't be that person who is walking around with a wallet in your back pocket or it will be taken from you.

If you need any more advice just send me a PM

AirMiles2001 Feb 1, 2019 8:48 am

I have an overnight layover at BCN in early June, coming in 8PM and leaving the next day at 11AM. I am looking for a nice hotel close by with good eating options. I will already have spent a few days in BCN earlier in the trip so just looking for food and shelter close to the airport.

Can anyone advise? Thanks!

exp Jun 19, 2021 11:54 pm

I have a 2 night stay in July. I leave with a 6:50 AM flight to FRA before the TATL flight.

I am staying near Pl. Catalunya and the Aerobus supposedly starts running at 5 AM.

Is that enough time to get to the airport, check in and board that 6:50 AM flight?

Or don't take chances, take the taxi leaving around 4:30 AM instead?

HalconBCN Jun 20, 2021 4:36 am

Originally Posted by exp (Post 33342026)
I have a 2 night stay in July. I leave with a 6:50 AM flight to FRA before the TATL flight.

I am staying near Pl. Catalunya and the Aerobus supposedly starts running at 5 AM.

Is that enough time to get to the airport, check in and board that 6:50 AM flight?

Or don't take chances, take the taxi leaving around 4:30 AM instead?

if the first bus leaves at 5am, yes. Be sure to confirm this in the days before as the timetable may be affected by covid. You will be in the airport at 5:35, possibly a few minutes earlier because there will be no traffic. I presume your check in will close 40 minutes before departure. So yes, this is doable.

seanp7 Jun 20, 2021 5:43 am

I wouldn’t risk it. Take a taxi.

Check in lines can be long in July - even at that hour - plus passengers may have Test verification, additional checks, etc. If you can access a Premium Check-In counter, maybe it’s doable.

exp Jun 20, 2021 10:35 am

Hmm, okay, so if I arrive at the airport around 5 AM, the check in counters will actually be open?

BTW, anyone know the ride share situation in Barcelona? I've heard Uber is there but it's some local or European app which is more commonly used.

aster Feb 6, 2023 5:58 pm

Can someone recommend a reputable private transfer service from BCN to a hotel in the city (Capri by Fraser in this case)?

I need to get my inlaws from the airport to their hotel and the options I'm considering are Wizzair's own transfers (probably a lot of people going on a single mini/bus to a lot of places) or a dedicated person who will pick them up from arrivals and take them to their destination. I'd prefer the latter but am looking at something 'tried & tested' rather than going with a random online service...

yolotraveller May 3, 2023 4:37 am

Don't overlook the fact that there's a train that goes to Barcelona Sants every 30 minutes for approximately €4, and there's also a metro connection. Just a heads up though, stay vigilant while on the metro.