Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Beware Lines for Passport Control (between lounge and gates) at Lisbon (LIS)

Beware Lines for Passport Control (between lounge and gates) at Lisbon (LIS)

Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Palal
Good news!!! As of today, US citizens (and citizens of 8 more countries) can start using the automated passport gates at LIS.
the e-gates are still not working upon arrival with US passports, and the staff claim it is for departures only at the moment. That direction not tested. Shame about arrivals because basically no lines at e-gates or EU channel, but 45 min lines for non-EU.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA
Check-in at Lisbon was insanely bad this past Sunday morning. Every single airline, including TAP, had ginormous lines, and almost all of the flights on the departure board were showing delays, likely due to the contractor's inability to check customers in on time. For my particular flight, roughly half the flight (70-90 people by my count) were still waiting in the check-in line at the time the flight was supposed to start boarding. There was barely any queuing going on because the queuing ropes weren't long enough to contain all the people checking in. The lines for other carriers next to my airline's check-in area were also extremely long such that you couldn't even physically reach the queuing area for my airline. Thus, there was just a big indeterminate scrum with people from at least 3 airlines waiting for the other airline's queues to clear so they could get into their own line.

LIS seems like a nice, modern airport, but over the summer they are filling it way past the airport's capacity (or maybe just beyond the work force's willingness to work), causing all kinds of delays. I saw an article in the Guardian that ranked LIS as one of the worst airports in Europe for on-time performance and I definitely believe it.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
On Sunday there was a bomb scare around 8:30AM at the airport which shut down the entrance to the terminal. After the alert was cleared, the lines became insanely long.

On Saturday there was a security workers' strike.

Also, this is peak of the peak (end of August).

LIS's ground handlers are bad on an average day, and appalling on days like last Sunday.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:17 am

Due to recent schedule changes by BA, I am going to have to rebook my February LIS-LHR flight in order to make my TATL connection in LHR. GRRR....

Will have to take a 7:25 am flight instead. Can anyone tell me how far in advance I should plan on arriving at the airport?

Traveling on US passport, OW Sapphire and flying in J if that makes a difference. Any and all advice welcome. Was planning to stay at airport hotel the night before.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:46 pm

I've taken that flight before. If you don't want to rush, plan on walking through the door of the airport around 6:15AM, which means being in a cab/uber, leaving the center at 6:00AM. As a sapphire you won't have a line for luggage. Ask for a 'green way' sticker at check-in and use the fast security line. Unless you want a bottle of water or two, there's no point in stopping at the lounge (blue lounge), as it's not much to look at and you'll get fed better food on the plane. Off you go to passport control and to board the plane.

If you know the layout of the airport or have no luggage, you could arrive later and make the plane without problems.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:00 pm

Thank you.

I just booked a room at the Tryp, so I will plan on walking across the street around 6 am. I am sure I will thank you again for the extra hour of sleep many times.

You mentioned food on the plane. You mean, like, real food? Not just a granola bar or something? (Can you tell that I have been flying stingy American Airlines?) I have never flown on a BA operated flight before, let alone in business. Should I try for breakfast at the hotel before i leave or just wait for the plane?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:25 am

BA serves a full hot breakfast in business on that sector.

If you're at the TRYP, I'd say walking into the airport at 6AM will allow you to go to the blue lounge and get a real coffee of your choice (the BA on-board coffee isn't that great).
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Palal
BA serves a full hot breakfast in business on that sector.

If you're at the TRYP, I'd say walking into the airport at 6AM will allow you to go to the blue lounge and get a real coffee of your choice (the BA on-board coffee isn't that great).
Thank you! I have to control my meals (and the timing of them) for medical reasons, so this information helps a lot.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We stayed at Tryp Friday night - their buffet opens at 4am (it was included in our room rate) and their airport shuttle also starts at 4am and runs every 20 minutes - I had a 6am flight and my friend's flight was 6:55 (and I'm a paranoid flyer when it comes to being early to the airport) so we grabbed a couple things at the buffet at 4 and then the shuttle at 4:20. The walk wouldn't have been bad, but having a free shuttle available - why not use?^
(there was still a fair bit of walking from where the shuttle drops you off to where I had to check in and drop off bags, so....)
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:01 pm

Anyone been through Lisbon recently? Are the egates open to non-EU passports (from the 8 countries) yet?

Last time I was there, it was quite possibly one of the worst passport controls I'd gone through. 5PM hit and 3 of the 4 border guards left leaving only 1 person for the non-EU line. Hopefully I don't need to deal with this again.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:01 pm

Overall, no the situation is not much better, though it really depends on what time you arrive as there are big peaks.

If you have a chip in your passport AND IT WORKS (most chips in US passports don't work) then you can use the eGates when leaving for the 8 countries mentioned above, but not when coming in.

Today, the inbound at 9AM was clear, while the outbound was busy (though not too bad). The airport was surprisingly busy for a Sunday, though mostly for intra-Schengen flights.

Expect the Christmas rush to make things more hectic in the days to come.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:34 am

Thanks! I wasn't aware the eGates was only for leaving not for entering I shall arrive expecting a complete and utter mess as usual.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:16 pm

It depends when you arrive, but yes - keep your expectations low.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Well, rats.

Dear Customer,

In order to better respond to the needs and suggestions of our Customers, we inform you that the TAP Lounge at Humberto Delgado Airport - Lisbon will be closed between 7 and 23 December for works to improve the space.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

TAP Air Portugal

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.