Lisbon Bus/Taxi Help

Old May 3, 16, 11:25 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
Posts: 736
Lisbon Bus/Taxi Help

Hello,

I am heading to Lisbon, and staying at the Hotel AS, the hotel is right above the Alameda Metro Station. When we depart, our flight leaves at 7:30 AM, and the Metro doesn't start running until 6:30AM, so we will need to get to the airport another way.

Does anyone know if the city buses are running at 5AM ish? If we have to take a taxi, any tips? Hail one on the street or have the hotel call one for us?
Mike1625 is offline  
Old May 3, 16, 11:46 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: somewhere between Europe and Africa, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Posts: 8,013
You don't need to get to the airport earlier than 6:30AM. It's a 10-minute uber/taxi ride at that hour and a cab should cost you no more than 5-8€. Uber will be less than 5€. (I live not far away and my uber rides have never been more than 5-6€.)

Buses are running, and you have bus 208 passing your door every half hour, but it'll cost each of you 1.80€ if you pay cash on board, so the €€ savings are minimal, but the bus takes many detours.

As far as getting a taxi, there's usually enough traffic on Av. Almirante Reis to flag one down. If not, have the hotel call one for you. The ride cost will go up 0.80€. Taxis also charge 1.60€ for bags that are larger than carry-on size, and have a higher charge before 6AM.

Last edited by Palal; May 3, 16 at 11:52 am
Palal is offline  
Old May 3, 16, 12:13 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
Posts: 736
Palal,

Thank you for the great information.
Mike1625 is offline  
Old May 3, 16, 3:28 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,842
Originally Posted by Mike1625 View Post

Does anyone know if the city buses are running at 5AM ish? If we have to take a taxi, any tips? Hail one on the street or have the hotel call one for us?


One word: UBER


I was at the IST last week, just behind Guerra Junqueiro/Alameda. The Uber ride to the airport was about the same as two bus fares.

So treat yourself
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jun 15, 16, 7:02 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saigon/Hanoi/San Francisco
Posts: 1,774
I'm heading to Lisbon for the first time next month. I'd like to take Uber from the airport to our hotel. Upon arrival, I'm wondering where's the waiting area for Uber pickup? Thank you for your help.
imm2b is offline  
Old Jun 16, 16, 2:50 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,842
i always use taxi or metro from the airport: depends on bags basically. Uber drivers tell me they are uneasy picking up at the airport (because of hostility from regular taxis), so they'd probably want to call you to synchronise a pick-up.

The trick to a conflict-free and trick-free taxi ride is to avoid the taxi queue at arrivals, and go up to the rank in front of the departure area (head right as you come out of the airside bit, then it's an easy trip up an escalator).
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jun 16, 16, 3:16 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,835
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
i always use taxi or metro from the airport: depends on bags basically. Uber drivers tell me they are uneasy picking up at the airport (because of hostility from regular taxis), so they'd probably want to call you to synchronise a pick-up.

The trick to a conflict-free and trick-free taxi ride is to avoid the taxi queue at arrivals, and go up to the rank in front of the departure area (head right as you come out of the airside bit, then it's an easy trip up an escalator).
I wish I had known this. I was scammed somewhat on the way from airport to hotel, but the trip from hotel to airport was uneventful.

For anyone who has never visited Lisbon, the airport really is amazingly close to the city.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jun 16, 16, 10:36 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: somewhere between Europe and Africa, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Posts: 8,013
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
The trick to a conflict-free and trick-free taxi ride is to avoid the taxi queue at arrivals, and go up to the rank in front of the departure area (head right as you come out of the airside bit, then it's an easy trip up an escalator).
The taxi rank upstairs is gone, it's only one queue now at arrivals. The area where the rank used to be is now under construction.

Originally Posted by imm2b View Post
I'm heading to Lisbon for the first time next month. I'd like to take Uber from the airport to our hotel. Upon arrival, I'm wondering where's the waiting area for Uber pickup? Thank you for your help.

You can either do it at departures (somewhere at the very front) or around the corner from departures , or 50m outside of arrivals at the next roundabout. I have yet to have any uber refuse to pick me up at the airport.
Palal is offline  
Old Jun 16, 16, 2:35 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,842
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I wish I had known this. I was scammed somewhat on the way from airport to hotel, but the trip from hotel to airport was uneventful.
Yes, it happens even to regulars That's why we so value the upstairs taxis.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jun 16, 16 at 2:54 pm
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jun 16, 16, 2:49 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,842
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
The taxi rank upstairs is gone, it's only one queue now at arrivals. The area where the rank used to be is now under construction.
The rank has gone, but with a bit of nouse, taxis are very much available


Originally Posted by Palal View Post
You can either do it at departures (somewhere at the very front), around the corner from departures , or 50m outside of arrivals at the next roundabout. I have yet to have any uber refuse to pick me up at the airport.
Of course uber isn't going to refuse to pick you up !! But they are wary, hence the diverse number of pick-up points away from the terminal building - and the difficulty in pinpointing the spot.

If you have a local SIM to synchronise with the driver, it becomes easier. For the visitor, a taxi is probably simpler.


The pick-up thing has to be one of the failings of the uber-type lift from airports, at least for visitors. For me, SFO and MEX have been the only ones that worked intuitively. I spent a very sweaty time chasing my uber around Jakarta CGK: finally gave up, but pleased to report Uber gave me a credit for the cancellation charge.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jun 16, 16 at 3:30 pm Reason: adding the Uber bit
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jun 16, 16, 4:29 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saigon/Hanoi/San Francisco
Posts: 1,774
Thanks IAN-UK and Palal for your tips.

I have a Spain mobile SIM, but that wouldn't be helpful anyway since I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish. It sounds like my best option is the taxi rank at Arrivals? Should I even attempt to catch a taxi at Departures? What is the typical taxi cost from Airport to Tivoli Lisboa?
imm2b is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 12:35 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,842
Originally Posted by imm2b View Post
Thanks IAN-UK and Palal for your tips.

I have a Spain mobile SIM, but that wouldn't be helpful anyway since I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish. It sounds like my best option is the taxi rank at Arrivals? Should I even attempt to catch a taxi at Departures? What is the typical taxi cost from Airport to Tivoli Lisboa?
Probably best not to do the departure thing - now there's no legit rank, hopping in a recently vacated cab is possibly illegal, and certainly against the airport's regulations.

The arrivals taxi rank is straightforward. The queue is well marshalled, moves quickly, and it's entirely possible you'll get a taxi driver who isn't intent on fleecing you

OK, I'm exaggerating - most taxi trips from the airport are uneventful. But as your driver will have been waiting a considerable time in the taxi pool, he'll be disappointed you're not going to Estoril, Sintra or Timbuctu.

It's not simply a tourist/visitor "thing": I'm perfectly at home in Lisbon and fluent in the language but I've still had a couple of nasty taxi experiences - though only on trips from the airport.

Just make sure the meter is on: in theory he (or she) shouldn't be able to avoid this, but ....

And make sure he recognises he's taking you to the Tivoli Lisboa. The fare should be something like EUR15: I think there's still a EUR1.60 supplement for luggage, but even with that and a very generous tip it's a max of $20.

There may still be the alternative of purchasing a fixed-price taxi voucher from the tourism/information desk. But that entails paying a significant premium for peace of mind, and it can be something of a faff getting one.


PS the Tivoli is a good choice, well-located, classic hotel. Enjoy!
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 12:46 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,842
Reading over my post above, it makes the taxi situation at the airport look scary .

For most visitors, it's a an event-free trip into town: I'm sure yours will be, too!
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jun 17, 16, 8:10 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saigon/Hanoi/San Francisco
Posts: 1,774
Thanks again IAN-UK. My late teen daughter arrives about 8 hours ahead of us, I wanted to make sure she knows what to expect getting to the hotel. I'll take your advice and will plan accordingly.
imm2b is offline  
Old Jun 18, 16, 5:05 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: somewhere between Europe and Africa, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Posts: 8,013
Originally Posted by imm2b View Post
Thanks again IAN-UK. My late teen daughter arrives about 8 hours ahead of us, I wanted to make sure she knows what to expect getting to the hotel. I'll take your advice and will plan accordingly.
Have her take the metro

Originally Posted by imm2b View Post
Thanks IAN-UK and Palal for your tips.

I have a Spain mobile SIM, but that wouldn't be helpful anyway since I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish. It sounds like my best option is the taxi rank at Arrivals? Should I even attempt to catch a taxi at Departures? What is the typical taxi cost from Airport to Tivoli Lisboa?
Unlike Spain, most people will speak some level of English. The younger generation speak good to excellent levels of English
Palal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: