Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Cataluña recommendations

Cataluña recommendations

Old Mar 14, 16, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Stariott Lifetime Plat Premier, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Cataluña recommendations

Hi all, I'm looking for anybody's experiences traveling around Cataluña. I like Barcelona so much that I rarely leave the city when I visit there, but I'd like to do maybe an overnight trip away when there late next month.
The places most catching my eye are Besalu, Girona (could probably hit both of these together), Peratallada, and Cadaqués (although that's kind of far for a short visit). Does anybody have experiences with any of these, or other recommendations? I've been to Tossa de Mar on the Costa Brava, Figueres (Dali Museum) and Sitges.
If relatively convenient, I'll use public transportation as I don't drive stick shift, but I could rent a car.
Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 16, 16, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't drive at all, but I got taken to Montserrat years ago by a local friend with a car. Thought it was beautiful.

I understand that you can get there by train from Plaça Espanya.
Old Mar 16, 16, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Stariott Lifetime Plat Premier, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Thanks, Laplap!
Old Mar 17, 16, 5:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Cataluña recommendations

There was a large travel blogger conference (Tbex) last May in Lloret Del Mar and many of us were able to do press trips around the region so there should be lots of content to read from food bloggers in Girona, adventure in Monserrat, and much more , etc.

I did the #bcnmuchmore Barcelona is much more trip and have written about my Cava tastings and few adventures, I still need to update other posts (blog same as user name).

Sitges is a quick train ride from Barcelona with a beach and a fun electric car tour thru the city. We also did a tour of the golf course and a fast boat ride after a museum tour. I liked the town and would go back as it reminded me of an East Coast shore town with nicer beaches/water - they have year round programming like film festivals and other events.
Old Mar 21, 16, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks PhilaTravelGirl!
Old Mar 22, 16, 10:37 am

I would strongly recommend Cadaqués.

It's a very nice little sea side town. In the adjoining village Portlligat, you can visit Dali's house (which is every bit as surreal as you would expect it to be). Close by is the rugged Cap de Creus, where you can hike down to the sea and take a swim in a small cove.

Probably difficult to reach by public transportation, though.
Old Mar 22, 16, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Hi Kamel123, I would love to visit Cadaques. It looks stunning. I think given timeframe and time it takes to get there via public transportation, I will save it for another trip, maybe in the summer time. But it's high on my list of places to go!
Old Mar 23, 16, 9:36 am

Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
Originally Posted by kamel123 View Post
I would strongly recommend Cadaqués.

It's a very nice little sea side town. In the adjoining village Portlligat, you can visit Dali's house (which is every bit as surreal as you would expect it to be). Close by is the rugged Cap de Creus, where you can hike down to the sea and take a swim in a small cove.

Probably difficult to reach by public transportation, though.
This recommendation is exactly what I have got as well from locals. I also know Barcelona quite well already but yet to explore Cadaques.

OTOH, I read that the OP has already done a good homework and covered pretty well suggestions so good luck for finding new!

Might as well add Tarragona, especially with kids to visit the waterpark Portaventura, but somehow I read that OP is not going with kids.