Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Lisbon for Photographers

Lisbon for Photographers

Old Jan 5, 16, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hilton HHonors Gold
Lisbon for Photographers

Hey, I'm heading to Lisbon in a few weeks and want some recommendations of places to go that are good backdrops for photoshoots. I'm shooting for a publication called Elska Magazine and basically I'm doing portrait photography but where the setting is very important. I need about 10 locations. I know Alfama is a must but that's it. The places don't need to be "beautiful", just interesting and give a flavour of the real Lisbon. Any ideas?
Old Jan 5, 16, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm not a photographer, but as far as cool scenery in Lisbon, you're right that Alfama is the first that comes to mind. And you'll find some really cool areas if you just duck into some of the side alleys in Alfama.

Some other ideas, but I'll let you or the other artists here determine if they work:

- Bairro Alto neighborhood, maybe in front of some of the little shops or restaurants

- Jeronimos Monastery

- Sao Jorge Castle

- Rossio Square

- A busy neighborhood pastry shop would be authentically Lisbon. Not sure how easy it would be to do a photo shoot.

This won't be very helpful, but somewhere in Alfama, at the very top of a hill, was a large square overlooking the city below, which was really spectacular. We found it while wandering, so maybe someone else will know what it's called.

Also, the Lisbon Cathedral might be an idea.
Old Jan 6, 16, 12:26 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Marques de Pombal
Top of Parque Eduardo VII
Many different viewpoints (miradouros) of Lisbon (some of the ones above are on the list)
Oriente in Lisbon (especially the Vasco da Gama bridge) for the "new" Lisboa

Many scenic places in Sintra

This won't be very helpful, but somewhere in Alfama, at the very top of a hill, was a large square overlooking the city below, which was really spectacular. We found it while wandering, so maybe someone else will know what it's called.
map (also on the list above)
Old Jan 6, 16, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hilton HHonors Gold
Loving these ideas, guys! The pastry shop and the miradouros especially ^^^
Old Jan 6, 16, 4:51 pm

A ginjinha bar might be interesting. If you're not familiar, they're tiny hole in the wall bars serving the liqueur, sometimes no more than a window and counter.

Also, on Avenida da Liberdade, which is an avenue with bits of park land in the middle, doing a shoot in that park space might be kind of interesting. There are also little bars in some of those middle areas serving beer, wine, and little snacks out of huts.

Cervejaria da Trindade - you can google it to get some pictures. Lisbon has this take on a brewery or beer hall. This one in particular is pretty unique, as it's in a former monastery.

If I think of any others, I'll post. I've tried to include things that I thought were unique or interesting when I was there, but as I said I'm by no means an artist, so I won't be offended if you tell me to not bother any more!

Last edited by JBord; Jan 6, 16 at 5:05 pm
Old Jan 6, 16, 6:08 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Yellow Street car going up the hill the sub way, Hard. Rock Cafe.., from across the street, looking down ...

Lot of places...

Enjoy...
Old Jan 7, 16, 2:31 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by satman40 View Post
Yellow Street car going up the hill the sub way, Hard. Rock Cafe.., from across the street, looking down ...

Lot of places...

Enjoy...
It wasn't very yellow when I saw it a couple weeks back, as both cars were covered with copious amounts of graffiti. And, it is way faster walk up the hill than to actually ride on it.

The views from the park are wonderful though.
Old Jan 7, 16, 7:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Lisbon for Photographers

My go to Lisbon contact is Bruno at We Hate Tourism tours - the guys love, love their city and go out of their ways to take you to offbeat locations. I had an amazing sandwich on the side of the road from a truck with baking fresh bread for the sandwiches and then went into the kitchen of the famous local pastry location.

I'm not sure if he does private tours but you could check or ask for suggestions of spots
Old Jan 7, 16, 8:42 pm

Sorry to hear about the graffiti, we walked up also, but my 5 star pictures were of the narrow yellow street car, the subway station with the subway tiles, The Hard Rock Cafe reflections at night, we were at a dinner across the street, looking down.

We were at a Medical Convention, and those 3 places, and pictures just stood out.

Glad you enjoyed the park, the views were great.
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:21 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Originally Posted by greg5 View Post
It wasn't very yellow when I saw it a couple weeks back, as both cars were covered with copious amounts of graffiti. And, it is way faster walk up the hill than to actually ride on it.
They paint them once a year. They're covered with graffiti a day later.
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:00 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
They paint them once a year. They're covered with graffiti a day later.
That's kind of sad. Then again, they are out in the open, and I didn't see any sort of garage to park them in. Still...
Old Jan 10, 16, 6:53 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Just watch the pickpockets while you're snapping away. They're serious there, on a par with Barcelona in terms of quality.
Old Jan 10, 16, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Just watch the pickpockets while you're snapping away. They're serious there, on a par with Barcelona in terms of quality.
I've always heard that but have never had any problems in Lisbon. Never even had anyone approach me, bump into me, or try to distract me.

Maybe I just look like someone you shouldn't mess with.

Still good advice in any urban tourist area.
Old Jan 10, 16, 10:02 pm

Never had any problems, had about 300 Physicians over there..also went to Barcelona, also.

Both very positive experiences..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: