Search

Two weeks in Portugal in September - tentative itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:35 am
HMO
Original Poster

Two weeks in Portugal in September - tentative itinerary

Hi folks.

I'll travel to Portugal next September with my wife, our tentative itinerary is following:
  • Sep 4 - arriving in Lisbon at night
  • Sep 5 - Lisbon
  • Sep 6 - spend the day in Evora, back to Lisbon at night
  • Sep 7 - departure to Reguentos de Monsaraz, V. Viçosa, Estremoz, hotel in Manteigas
  • Sep 8 - drive around Serra da Estrela, back to Manteigas
  • Sep 9 - departure to Viseu, Lamego, Peso da Régua, Vila Real, hotel in Porto
  • Sep 10 - spend the day at Viana do Castelo, Braga, Guimarães, back to Porto
  • Sep 11 - Porto
  • Sep 12 - Porto, late departure to Coimbra, hotel in Coimbra
  • Sep 13 - Coimbra
  • Sep 14 - departure to Alcobaça, Batalha, Fatima, hotel in Fatima
  • Sep 15 - departure to Obidos, Nazare, back to Fatima
  • Sep 16 - departure to Caldas da Rainha, Sintra, Cabo da Roca, Cascais, hotel in Lisbon
  • Sep 17 - Lisbon, perhaps go again to Sintra
  • Sep 18 - Lisbon, flight back home late afternoon

We are considering to rent a car for the full trip, we are low 40's, and my wife really wants to see the candles procession in Fatima.

Do you have any suggestions? Itinerary improvements? I appreciate any help. I intend to book the hotels next week, suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Two initial thoughts:

- I think you need at least a full day in Sintra. You could go back and forth between Lisbon, as you suggest. The train is about 5 euros per person, might be easier than driving back and forth, and there is a cheap hop on-off bus there. I'm not sure how parking will be. Alternatively, why not just get your hotel in Sintra on the 16th?

- Have you been to Lisbon before? If not, I think you're cutting your time in the city a little short. It's really a fabulous city. It looks like you may only have a couple full days there. Besides the sights, I think you'll spend more time than you plan wandering around Alfama and Bairro Alto.

I haven't been to the north part of Portugal so no comments there, but it looks like a great trip!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:13 pm
HMO
Original Poster

Thanks, JBord. it's our first time in Portugal

Other people also told me that I'm not reserving enough time to Lisbon... It seems that my best option is to "kill" Serra da Estrela segment, to increase our time at Lisbon and perhaps Porto. It also helps your suggestion to spend more time at Sintra.^

We aren't huge fans of changing hotels - it is the major reason of using Lisbon as base for round trips to Evora, Sintra, etc.

I'll discuss with my wife your suggestions and possible changes ^
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HMO

Other people also told me that I'm not reserving enough time to Lisbon... It seems that my best option is to "kill" Serra da Estrela segment, to increase our time at Lisbon and perhaps Porto. It also helps your suggestion to spend more time at Sintra.^

We aren't huge fans of changing hotels - it is the major reason of using Lisbon as base for round trips to Evora, Sintra, etc.

I hate changing hotels...

You might consider staying in Lisbon and taking the train out then. You can do Sintra in a full day. Leave first thing in the morning and come back early evening and you'll be in good shape. It was very easy to do it that way. IIRC, it was about a 45-60 min train, runs every 20 minutes, and only about 5 euros/person.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I will say more time in Lisbon is probably a good idea. It really is a great city. As I only really see a single day dedicated to Lisbon alone.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:54 am
HMO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I will say more time in Lisbon is probably a good idea. It really is a great city. As I only really see a single day dedicated to Lisbon alone.
I'm rescheduling it in order to add more Lisbon days! ^
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Originally Posted by HMO

I just came back from a two and a half week trip to Portugal and you are definitely going to be on the road a lot! Parking was an issue everywhere we went so keep that in mind. We stayed in most cities for 3-4 days and visited Coimbra There were 6 of us so it was worthwhile to hire a private driver who we used to transport us from city to city via the scenic route. We stopped for a 2 hour lunch every time we moved and went to some incredible, non touristy restaurants where we had some of the best food & wines of my life.

You mention that you are reworking your schedule to spend more time in Lisbon which is very wise. It's beautiful and there's lots to see....use the hop on/ hop off bus as they are a bargain and very efficient. Porto is fabulous and we loved it!

NH Liberdade is where we stayed in Lisbon and it was in a very central location within walking distance to main tourist area. Really beautiful rooftop pool and bar with a great view. They also had a nice breakfast buffet with a big selection of fresh fruit, cold cuts, cheese, pastry, breads etc. You could even get a you pick custom omelet. Would stay there again if and when we go back.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:05 pm
HMO
Original Poster

This is my updated itinerary. I'll stay one day in Casablanca, the cheapest fare I found was via CMN:
  • Aug 29 - Arrival in Casablanca and hotel there.
  • Aug 30 - Depart from Casablanca to Lisbon, arrival at late afternoon, get a car, travel to Fatima, sleep in Fatima.
  • Aug 31 - Trips to Batalha & Alcobaça, bach to fatima to see the Candles Procession, night in Fatima
  • Sep 01 - Departure. Trip to Aveiro, folloing to Porto. Hotel in Porto for the next nights.
  • Sep 02 - Porto
  • Sep 03 - Trip to Viana do Castelo, Braga, Guimarães
  • Sep 04 - Porto
  • Sep 05 - Trip Vila Real, Peso da Regua, Lamego. Last night in Porto
  • Sep 06 - Departure. Trip to Viseu, following to sleep in Coimbra
  • Sep 07 - Day in Coimbra
  • Sep 08 - Departure from Coimbra to Nazare, Obidos, Caldas da Rainha, hotel in Lisbon up to the end of the trip.
  • Sep 09 - Sintra, Cabo das Rocas, Cascais
  • Sep 10 - Sintra again (if necessary)
  • Sep 11 - Evora, Estremoz, Reguentos
  • Sep 12 - Day in Lisbon
  • Sep 13 - Day in Lisbon
  • Sep 14 - Morning in Lisbon, hotel check out, return the car, flight back home at afternoon.

Originally Posted by weather
Parking was an issue everywhere we went so keep that in mind.
NH Liberdade is where we stayed in Lisbon and it was in a very central location within walking distance to main tourist area. Really beautiful rooftop pool and bar with a great view. They also had a nice breakfast buffet with a big selection of fresh fruit, cold cuts, cheese, pastry, breads etc. You could even get a you pick custom omelet. Would stay there again if and when we go back.
Thanks for the tips! ^^
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Asiana, TAP, United, British, TAM
Sorry I just saw your post! It's probably too late to readjust anything....
But in case you can here are a few points:

1) I assume you do not like beaches? There are some very beautiful ones in Alentejo, South of Lisbon. Nice to relax and appreciate, even if not toasting under the sun. Go in September, as you will get a nice weather, relatively long days, much less tourists.

2) Fátima would have been a better choice for 13th September. 13th every month are always the biggest days, so that makes a better Procissão das Velas - just arrive by the end of the day, maybe. - although seems tight to travel back he next day

3) Sep 03 - Trip to Viana do Castelo, Braga, Guimarães
The sounds too much time on the road - please take your time to enjoy
If choosing two: Go during the morning to Guimaraes, afternoon to Braga. The "Bom Jesus" by the end of afternoon is phenomenal. I've never been to Viana.

4) Sep 05 - Trip Vila Real, Peso da Regua, Lamego.
Are you planning to take the historic bus or a boat? Ditch the car and take one of those - the view is amazing - a bit pricey, but worth it.

5) Sintra:
take one full day as planned, no need to go back the next day for sure. You will find parking somehow if you drive, and can stop by Cascais by the end of the day. Not sure Caiscais is worth the visit. There are much more beautiful beaches in Portugal.

6) not going back to Sintra would give you time to enjoy the Évora trip and maybe choose to visit Alentejo's beches. And go back to Lisbon the next day.

7) Coimbra: (that is my city)
- make sure to buy the full University visit ticket - there is a dangerous looking walk with great views of the river. And of course, do no miss the library.
- for eating: have lunch or dinner at Zé Manel os Ossos! A tiny, inexpensive, mouth watering traditional food! I can advise what dishes to choose
- if you are relatively fit, you can walk almost everywhere
- that might be a great time to visit because classes are about to start and you might see a lot of agitation and traditional costumes!

8) in Lisbon:
you are definetely going to try Pasteis de Belem in the original shop. Don's stay at the long queues; just enter, sit down and enjoy. You can request to take out if you want. (and you will want)

I hope I have helped!
That sounds like a great plan!
enjoy!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:58 am
HMO
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shalashaska
Sorry I just saw your post! It's probably too late to readjust anything....
But in case you can here are a few points:

1) I assume you do not like beaches? There are some very beautiful ones in Alentejo, South of Lisbon. Nice to relax and appreciate, even if not toasting under the sun. Go in September, as you will get a nice weather, relatively long days, much less tourists.

2) Fátima would have been a better choice for 13th September. 13th every month are always the biggest days, so that makes a better Procissão das Velas - just arrive by the end of the day, maybe. - although seems tight to travel back he next day

3) Sep 03 - Trip to Viana do Castelo, Braga, Guimarães
The sounds too much time on the road - please take your time to enjoy
If choosing two: Go during the morning to Guimaraes, afternoon to Braga. The "Bom Jesus" by the end of afternoon is phenomenal. I've never been to Viana.

4) Sep 05 - Trip Vila Real, Peso da Regua, Lamego.
Are you planning to take the historic bus or a boat? Ditch the car and take one of those - the view is amazing - a bit pricey, but worth it.

5) Sintra:
take one full day as planned, no need to go back the next day for sure. You will find parking somehow if you drive, and can stop by Cascais by the end of the day. Not sure Caiscais is worth the visit. There are much more beautiful beaches in Portugal.

6) not going back to Sintra would give you time to enjoy the Évora trip and maybe choose to visit Alentejo's beches. And go back to Lisbon the next day.

7) Coimbra: (that is my city)
- make sure to buy the full University visit ticket - there is a dangerous looking walk with great views of the river. And of course, do no miss the library.
- for eating: have lunch or dinner at Zé Manel os Ossos! A tiny, inexpensive, mouth watering traditional food! I can advise what dishes to choose
- if you are relatively fit, you can walk almost everywhere
- that might be a great time to visit because classes are about to start and you might see a lot of agitation and traditional costumes!

8) in Lisbon:
you are definetely going to try Pasteis de Belem in the original shop. Don's stay at the long queues; just enter, sit down and enjoy. You can request to take out if you want. (and you will want)

I hope I have helped!
That sounds like a great plan!
enjoy!
Shalashaska, thanks for the tips. I'm doing the last adjustments at the trip, looking for restaurants, and every suggestion is very welcome!

We decided to go to Fatima earlier just to avoid the crowds of the 13th. The small "Procissão" will fit fine to us.

If I may ask, do you have any suggestion for a data chip (SIM card) for use at an iPad? Is it easy & cheap to buy at Lisbon airport, or I'll find it easily at Fatima? 500MB to 1GB prepaid should be enough for us ^

Muito obrigado!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:36 am

About Fátima, the BIG one is 13th May, then 13th October. The rest of the months it's not that big. Anyway, yes, that way you will get a more meditative experience for sure.

About the data chip, Lisbon, definitely. Fátima is a small city and you probably don't want to walk around looking for it. There are more options in Lisbon and the price will probably be standard. I have been staying out of Portugal for some time, so I cannot advise you on the best one, but just go to a store or airport booth of Vodafone, Meo and NOS, and compare. The chip itself should be cheap (€10-€20), the data usage might not.

As good food makes 30-40% (!) of my experience when abroad, I hope this is useful:

in Porto try:
- Francesinha (much more than a sandwich; good ones take 7 different liquors for the sauce, bad ones are really terrible) Some restaurants: Arderio (in Gaia's side of the river, by the end of afternoon, looking at Porto, followed by a porto... life's good!), or Café Santiago (voted the best, but always too full) - there are plenty of options
- Porto style Tripas (yes, tripes, and beans - just try it) - no advice on restaurant though

in Coimbra:
- Leitão (amazing roasted piglet) - plenty of restaurants in the city of Mealhada, 20min driving/30min train North of Coimbra
- Chanfana (goat cooked in red wine for several hours. it's ugly and delicious)
- "Zé Manel dos Ossos" is the restaurant to go in Coimbra. Arrive BEFORE 7.30pm or no seats until after 9pm. Start with "ossos" (lit. bones), then polvo (octopus), chanfana and desserts (chocolate mousse and "baba de camelo" (lit. camel's drool) are highly recommended)

in Nazaré:
- fresh fish! - just grilled
- or "caldeirada" (a mix of different fish)

in Aveiro:
- "ovos moles" (typical; VERY sweet, made with egg yolks)

in Lisbon:
- go to "Bairro Alto" neighborhood to enjoy genuine fado while enjoying dinner
- try Pastel de Belém when visiting Belém region, right next to Mosteiro de Belém

Other few typical foods:
- codfish (hundreds of dishes with codfish, "bacalhau")
- "carne de porco à alentejana" (originaly from Évora's region; found everywhere)
- "queijo da serra" (if you like cheese, you'll love this; from "Serra da Estrela", so Viseu probably has more choices)
- arroz de pato (duck rice, everywhere)

hmm, ok too much food! And little restaurant advices!
Lastly, wine and beer are very cheap!
mikedcusa likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:00 pm
HMO
Original Poster

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Originally Posted by Shalashaska
Lastly, wine and beer are very cheap!
Don't worry, I intend to drink some domestic wine!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Seem to be a lot of Portugal experts here so let me ask something. We have a trip we are planning for May 4-18 next year. We are in Scotland now and ran into a woman from Porto. Her English was limited but all she said was "rainy". I said "June" and she said "better"!

If we change, I could either do later in May or would have to due June 15-29 which would not be my preference. Will rain really be an issue.? We planned to rent a car at the airport (two of us) travel around the country (including the Algarve) and give the car up when we ended up in Lisbon. Usually love driving around and don't like running ourselves ragged - mid 60-'s and have traveled a lot. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by stevens397
Seem to be a lot of Portugal experts here so let me ask something. We have a trip we are planning for May 4-18 next year. We are in Scotland now and ran into a woman from Porto. Her English was limited but all she said was "rainy". I said "June" and she said "better"!

If we change, I could either do later in May or would have to due June 15-29 which would not be my preference. Will rain really be an issue.? We planned to rent a car at the airport (two of us) travel around the country (including the Algarve) and give the car up when we ended up in Lisbon. Usually love driving around and don't like running ourselves ragged - mid 60-'s and have traveled a lot. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Since we are on a strike here...
I never considered May to be a rainy time. It's been quite hot in past few years. But I just checked the average precipitation here: https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geogra...Portugal#Clima
It rains around 20% compared to Winter time. June is a bit better.
In conclusion, in May you should be safe, less tourists and be able to see this:
http://www.semanaacademica.pt/queima...-coimbra-2015/
In June is a little bit safer climatewise, and the number of tourists is not as bad as July/August.

About the car, public transportation fine to travel to these cities:
Porto (Braga feasable on train)
Coimbra (train)
Fátima (bus)
Lisboa (train/bus)
Algarve (train - maybe bus)

I advise a car to visit:
- Guimarães AND Braga on the same day
- Some UN World Heritage monuments and Óbidos not far from Fátima (between Coimbra and Lisbon)
- Once you are already in Algarve or if you want to stop on the way there in Alentejo

So it is really about price the final price, whre you want to go and the (in)convenience of constantly dropping off/picking up a car.

I have done in he past: Coimbra -> Porto -> Braga/Porto -> Coimbra by train
Then Coimbra -> Fátima (and around) -> Algarve -> Lisbon by car
Then visit Lisbon with no car.

Good luck with your plans!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.