Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid-Plaza Mayor-Grocery Store Open Sunday & Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Madrid-Plaza Mayor-Grocery Store Open Sunday & Restaurants

My family are renting an apartment for 1 week in November in the Plaza Mayor. Are there any grocery stores within walking distance open on Sunday to buy some groceries (sodas, beer, deli meat, cereal, milk etc...).

Can you recommend any restaurants and restaurants that would be open on Sunday evening for dinner?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:07 am

I don't know Madrid too well, but in Spain most restaurants are likely to be open on Sundays. On Monday you might have to hunt a little more, but in a city as big as Madrid that's not likely to be a real issue.

For supermarkets, ask whoever you're renting the apartment from... and if there's a language gap, just say "supermercado" questioningly and point to a map
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
There is an Open25 on C/Arenal for basics but it's generally much more expensive. There is a Lidl at the Tirso de Molina plaza that appears to be open until 16h on Sundays. One metro stop from Sol in Lavapiés is a Carrefour Supermarket that is very well stocked and open every day.

There tends to be a lack of supermarkets in general in the very central part of the city.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: IB Platino (OW Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (ST Elite Plus), Priority Club Gold, Sol Melia Gold
El Corte Ingles (Calle Preciados, 5min walk) has a well assorted supermarket and it's open till 2100 on Sundays (2200 Mon-Sat). Alternatively you can go to DIA (Calle Toledo) which is open till 2000 on Sundays.

As regards of restaurants/bars try to avoid Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol. For an informal dinner go to El Almendro.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the replies.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Sunday Market

What time does the Sunday Market close in the Plaza?

Thank you
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by coplatsat
What time does the Sunday Market close in the Plaza?

Thank you
Are you referring to "El Rastro" which is a flea market on Sunday mornings in the area of La Latina? Or the Christmas market that sets up in Plaza Mayor itself?

The former is just along a couple streets and runs from about 10h until about 14h. The Christmas market is open every day and I don't know exactly what time it closes, probably around 21h or 22h.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Are you referring to "El Rastro" which is a flea market on Sunday mornings in the area of La Latina? Or the Christmas market that sets up in Plaza Mayor itself?

The former is just along a couple streets and runs from about 10h until about 14h. The Christmas market is open every day and I don't know exactly what time it closes, probably around 21h or 22h.
The Christmas Market and thank you,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.