Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Azores -- anyone been?

Azores -- anyone been?

Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Question Azores -- anyone been?

We are taking 3-7 days in the Azores this summer.

I have been completely unable to book anything due to indecision. We can visit 4 islands for about 300 EUR, but I do not want to stretch it thin. At the same time, each island appears to have it's own unique landmarks, ecosystem, etc, and I don't want to miss anything!!!

So, for anyone who has traveled the Azores, any advice?

For sure we will visit Sao Miguel for the historical city. Also want to visit Santa Maria for a 1-2 day beach vacation. But then we only have 1-2 islands left and still want to see lagoons, volcanoes, everything!!!

We are going by plane from and to Lisbon, and then flying between the islands. I am assuming we are not require to arrive more than 1 hour ahead of time, as it's small/non-international.

Any advice? I'm honestly stumped.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Rykoshet
For sure we will visit Sao Miguel for the historical city. Also want to visit Santa Maria for a 1-2 day beach vacation. But then we only have 1-2 islands left and still want to see lagoons, volcanoes, everything!!!
Santa maria has its charms, and it has beaches: but I never really thought of it as a beach resort.

In fact all the islands have quite unique charms. Though Graciosa is the one perhaps most easily dropped from the list.

Faial/Horta is a delight, and you can take in Pico (with its volcano from central casting!) on a day trip from there.

Sao Jorge is great for dramatic walks, and Velas has a festival ("culture week") in the summer (I think July).

Terceira has an easy, rural charm while its capital, Angra, is (for me) the most attractive Acorean town.

Flores is other-worldy, very distinctive and feels very isolated. It's on the North American plate, separated (with Corvo) from the rest of the islands. You can get to tiny, tiny Corvo on a day trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.