Wiki Posts
Search

From Spain back to London (UK) where to stop

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

From Spain back to London (UK) where to stop

Hello Chaps,

Me and my girl friend are going from London (UK) to Madrid (and pretty much Europe) for the first time. We are flying to Madrid and will be there for 2 days for some work commitments.

After that we have about 4 days to make our way back to London, I was wondering if there was some where nice we could visit. We are willing to either fly or take a train from Madrid and then continue back to London.

It does not necessarily have to be in Spain, we can go to Paris or Italy, wherever you recommend.

We want to go somewhere to relax, enjoy some good food, entertainment, some local shopping and sights. We are not history buffs.

Any suggestion that comes to mind?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I would say go to San Sebastián in the Basque Country and fly back from Bilbao.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Plus one for LupineChemist. I was going to suggest either San Sebastián or Barcelona. I'd also say maybe stay one extra day in Madrid for relax/sightseeing (Museums Prado and Reina Sofia, Parque del Retiro, great shopping in Salamanca-upscale and Chueca/Fuencarral-more alternative).

You mentioned eating well, which is 1 reason I thought of San Sebastián. It has highest per capita Michelin stars on restaurants in the world, but you can also eat extremely well in casual places. Gorgeous beaches. If you fly out of Bilbao (one hour away), you can see the Guggenheim Museum. Less shopping than Madrid/Barcelona.

Barcelona also has amazing places to eat, and there are several 3-star Michelin restaurants in surrounding area of Cataluńa. Great shopping - upscale/Fifth Avenue-esque along Passeig de Gracia and more hip/small designers in boutiques in Born area. There are beaches in Barcelona, of course, but if you go outside the city a little bit, there are some really spectacular ones. Plenty of entertainment - music of all kinds, theater if you speak Spanish or Catalan, museums, nightclubs.

Enjoy wherever you go!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
This is exactly what I was going to say...

And spainlover is right, no need to rush out of Madrid - there is plenty to do, see and enjoy there.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi Chaps,

Thank you for your replies. I spent a good portion of the day checking for flights out of Bilboa to London and even Barcelona, but they seem pretty full or very expensive, thus the best option for our dates was to buy a round trip from Madrid.

We will have about a week between our flights to and from Madrid back to the UK, however we need to be in Madrid for the first 3 days, thus have another 3 days at the back end to travel elsewhere and come back to Madrid.

We will look into the San Sebastian option for sure, maybe take the bus or train.

On a different note, any suggestions for a good, safe, 4 or 5 star hotel in Madrid? I have some status with Starwood, not the highest, but the Westin seems expensive.

Thanks!
Andre
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Where do you need to be in the city? NH Alcalá had some really good values a couple months back for a 3 1/2 star type place very well located. I've seen some decent rates at the IC Madrid as well.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by andymillichamp
Hi Chaps,

Thank you for your replies. I spent a good portion of the day checking for flights out of Bilboa to London and even Barcelona, but they seem pretty full or very expensive, thus the best option for our dates was to buy a round trip from Madrid.

We will have about a week between our flights to and from Madrid back to the UK, however we need to be in Madrid for the first 3 days, thus have another 3 days at the back end to travel elsewhere and come back to Madrid.

We will look into the San Sebastian option for sure, maybe take the bus or train.

On a different note, any suggestions for a good, safe, 4 or 5 star hotel in Madrid? I have some status with Starwood, not the highest, but the Westin seems expensive.

Thanks!
Andre
If you want a 5 star, I recommend the Hotel Ritz. Its location can't be beat. It's on the Paseo del Prado which is a very high-end area. It's actually quite close to the Westin. Since relaxing is on your list, nearby is the Parque del Retiro which is an expansive park with many gardens, a large lake where you can rent rowboats, and there are also horse-drawn carriages for hire. I've stayed at the Ritz a couple of times and I've always been able to get a rate of around 230-250 euros per night.

When I was on a smaller budget, I stayed at the Vincci Via 66 which is a 4 star hotel that's very clean and modern. Rates generally range from 100-130 euros per night. It's on Gran Via which is a main boulevard full of shops, restaurants, nightlife, etc. It's kind of like Oxford Street so lots to do (and also lots of tourist traps). My only concern with the Gran Via area is at night it's full of prostitutes and they are fairly aggressive too i.e. they grab the arms/hands of men walking by themselves (or groups of men hanging out). However, since you're with your girl friend they should not bother you.

Enjoy Madrid!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I really like the ME Melia on the Plaza Santa Ana. It's got a little bit of a W feel, and there is a great rooftop bar. Besides the Westin, if you are up for a splurge or have Marriott Points, the two Autograph Collection hotels are outstanding, particularly the Santo Mauro (spectacular), but also the Palacio del Retiro, which overlooks the Parque del Retiro.
I'd try for the ME Melia if I were you.
In San Sebastian, the Maria Cristina is a fantastic hotel that was recently renovated. I've been upgraded to suites as SPG Platinum. You could try to use points if you have any.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:34 pm

Forgot - on a tighter budget, the Roommate Hotels in Madrid are also nice! Try for the one with a rooftop pool. Can't remember which it is, but when I lived there I tried to pay 40 euros to use for the afternoon it was so hot out. They had no more space available however.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Hi chaps,

Wanted to update you guys that I decided to stay at the hotel ME Madrid. It is a nice property styled along the lines of the W. I am still finding my way around town but feel free to ask any questions about the hotel. No complaints it's a nice property. Thanks, Andrew
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:11 am

Walk over to the Mercado de San Miguel from there (just off Plaza Mayor to the west). They've got maybe 40 food/drink vendors where you can buy pintxos/tapas like croquetas de bacalao (cod), various Spanish cheeses, jamon, wine and desserts, some for as little as 1 euro.
A couple nice places to eat/drink include Mercado de la Reina on Gran Via and Gin Room (drinks of course) just off Parque del Retiro to the west. And of course you're a few minutes walk from the Prado and Reina Sofia museums.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
This. San Sebastian is wonderful. Basque food is among the best in the world. I'd rather be in Northern Spain than Southern France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.