Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

14 hours in Barcelona -- need hotel near the airport and something to do

Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold

On an upcoming EU tour for work, I'm about to find myself with ~14 spare hours in Barcelona on the way home to the US. I land in BCN around 8pm on a Friday night, and fly out again 10am Saturday morning.

If this were, say, Atlanta, I would just find the hotel nearest to the airport and crash out immediately. However, since I've never been to Spain before, I feel the need to at least SEE if there is a reasonably simple way to see something on the ground.

Any suggestions for a way to see more than the airport and a somewhat reasonably priced hotel to stay at?

Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by smashr
On an upcoming EU tour for work, I'm about to find myself with ~14 spare hours in Barcelona on the way home to the US. I land in BCN around 8pm on a Friday night, and fly out again 10am Saturday morning.

If this were, say, Atlanta, I would just find the hotel nearest to the airport and crash out immediately. However, since I've never been to Spain before, I feel the need to at least SEE if there is a reasonably simple way to see something on the ground.

Any suggestions for a way to see more than the airport and a somewhat reasonably priced hotel to stay at?

Thanks!
Had a similar early evening arrival and mid next morning departure. We stayed at the Renaissance Barcelona Airport hotel... comfortable, modern and inexpensive. The Complimentary shuttle van runs every 20-30 minutes depending on the time of day, with friendly and efficient drivers.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:44 pm

The Renaissance Hotel is a great spot, near the airport. They offer shuttles to the city center, Las Ramblas, so you can ride the shuttle, go into town and see the sights! If you happen to have status with Marriott, this hotel has a 7 day a week club, with breakfast, evening snacks and all day drinks.
Barcelona is a beautiful city. There's a hop on hop off city tour available from the Las Ramblas area that could give you a great look at the city highlights.
Have fun!^
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noname
The Renaissance Hotel is a great spot, near the airport. They offer shuttles to the city center, Las Ramblas, so you can ride the shuttle, go into town and see the sights! If you happen to have status with Marriott, this hotel has a 7 day a week club, with breakfast, evening snacks and all day drinks.
Barcelona is a beautiful city. There's a hop on hop off city tour available from the Las Ramblas area that could give you a great look at the city highlights.
Have fun!^
So I had seen this in my google searches -- is this still a Marriott property? I can't seem to find the link to book it on Marriott's site...

http://www.marriott.com/BCNBR is a dead link!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
If you want to actually see Barcelona, it's so easy to take the Airbus to Plaza Catalunya. It runs like every 5-10 minutes directly form the terminal. You'll be in the city center by 9pm the latest. Plenty of time to get some great food. Stay somewhere central, like Le Meridien. Very easy to catch the bus back for your 10am flight the next day. Staying at an airport hotel is so generic.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:17 pm

So I had seen this in my google searches -- is this still a Marriott property? I can't seem to find the link to book it on Marriott's site...

http://www.marriott.com/BCNBR is a dead link!
Wow! You are absolutely correct. We just left this hotel 10/30 and had no indication it was about to drop from the Marriott program. I don't know if this is a fluke or a real drop from the program. The shuttle was complimentary and very convenient, so that's a shame.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Okay, I think I am going to try the Airbus and stay in the city center. Any suggestions on hotels within walking distance of Plaza Catalunya?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Okay, I think I am going to try the Airbus and stay in the city center. Any suggestions on hotels within walking distance of Plaza Catalunya?
Hotel Jazz, Le Meridien, Hotel 1898, Hotel Pulitzer, Majestic, Mandarin Oriental. All within a 5 minute walk of the bus stop.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:46 pm

If you're interested in architecture, you could visit one (maybe more) of the Gaudi sites--Sagrada Familia or one of the houses. I think you could probably find a Gaudi walking tour, with or without a guide.

And yes, eating good food is highly recommended!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fwoomp
If you're interested in architecture, you could visit one (maybe more) of the Gaudi sites--Sagrada Familia or one of the houses. I think you could probably find a Gaudi walking tour, with or without a guide.

And yes, eating good food is highly recommended!
You can see several Gaudi buildings if you walk up Passeig de Gracia from Plaza Catalunya to the Diagonal.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by fwoomp
I think you could probably find a Gaudi walking tour, with or without a guide.
Have you even looked at the OP's schedule?
I think his "walking tour" will be a stroll up and down the Passeig de Gracia, like MSPeconomist suggested.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:26 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Barcelona is quite spread out. I'd say best to concentrate on one neighbourhood and get in 2-4 hours of quality time there, than running around seeing a probably closed Gaudi Catherdral.

I'd recommend finding some food in the el Rival district. There should be something open there. It is bit touristy. There are paella offerings on almost every restaurant, but you should be able to find something there. You can wander the streets and alleys until you get tired then crash out at your hotel.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks all! Booked a room at the more modestly priced H10 hotel; looks like it is right at the plaza.

And yes, my "tour" will likely be limited to walking around for a few hours and finding a decent place to eat, but hey, that beats staying at an airport hotel!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.