Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

One (!) day in Barcelona and Lisbon

Old Jul 24, 12, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

I'll have a spare day in each city (will be there on work, so don't have much flexibility). I've read through the wikitravel links for BCN and LIS and have a fair idea of what to see ... would still appreciate suggestions and also recommendations on a centrally located hotel in both cities

I have a 6AM flight out of BCN and suppose I am probably better off taking a taxi.

Cheers!
Old Jul 24, 12, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Barcelona, I would probably see La Sagrada Familia, the Picasso Museum, and have a nice dinner near Las Ramblas.
Old Jul 25, 12, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Djlawman View Post
Barcelona, I would probably see La Sagrada Familia, the Picasso Museum, and have a nice dinner near Las Ramblas.
With one day, personally I would not waste time on the Picasso Museum (unless you're an absolute Picasso fan). But it's worth taking a walk in that general area (El Born).
What I would add is La Pedrera on Passeig de Gracia, with a visit to the roof.

And while there might be some places for a nice dinner NEAR (not on) Las Ramblas, make sure that you know where you're going, to avoid the tourist traps.
Old Jul 25, 12, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
I'll have a spare day in each city (will be there on work, so don't have much flexibility). I've read through the wikitravel links for BCN and LIS and have a fair idea of what to see ... would still appreciate suggestions and also recommendations on a centrally located hotel in both cities

I have a 6AM flight out of BCN and suppose I am probably better off taking a taxi.

Cheers!
bcn has hundreds of hotels in the old section at all prices and degree of lux. psuede reported on one at the $150 range. sounded great. i stayed at the ▼Duquesa De Cardona for 200 euro per night, and thought it great.

how do you plan to get to bcn by 6am other than by cab?
Old Jul 25, 12, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
how do you plan to get to bcn by 6am other than by cab?
Silly me ... I hadn't yet read up on public transportation and assumed this might've been an option.
Old Jul 25, 12, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
At 6am, it will be a rather quick trip to the airport so it will not be too expensive.
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:36 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
One Day in Barcelona

OK, so if you ant to see Sagrada Familia, go early, look from outside and check the queue - if short, go in, if long, spend more time looking from outside. Then head to La Pedrera, near the top of Passeig de Gracia - and do go in, this is great insight into Gaudi work and has a good rooftop.

Stroll down PdG and Rambla Catalunya (parallel road one block to right as you head downhill) and find somewhere for lunch.

After lunch, walk down across Plaza Catalunya, and then you have three choices

- bear right, head into Raval and go to MACBA for Modern Art
- go down La Rambla and see lots of tourist crap
- bear left and head towards Medieval Old town and explore there

Time to rest - so hit the beach bars and cafes near Olympic Station and have a few drinks.

Dinner - head into El Born and wander the narrow streets, with lots of choices, but don't go there before 9pm.. Enjoy.
Old Jul 28, 12, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by GK View Post
Time to rest - so hit the beach bars and cafes near Olympic Station and have a few drinks.
Eh...? "Olympic Station"? If you mean Olympic Stadion, there are no bars there...

I guess you want to sent him to the Vila Olímpica area, to the bars below the hotel Arts (beach side)?
Old Aug 1, 12, 5:57 am

When you're near La Pedrera you might also want to check out Casa Batlló which is another work by gaudí on the same road just a short walk away.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: