Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barcelona or Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Question Barcelona or Madrid

Hi FTers, I come seeking expertise. I'm planning on visiting Spain around October, for the first time and wish to know which of these two cities to travel too.

We love museums, good food, scenery, gardens, but not so much the night life.

I'd appreciate any help you can give!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Barcelona or Madrid

Either is good. I prefer bcn because of the added beaches. But both worth visiting.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:51 pm

I would vote Barcelona too. (FWIW we also really liked Seville)
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
If you only want to spend a few days in one city I'd pick Barcelona.

If you have sometime to travel within Spain I'd visit Andalusia.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:47 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Barcelona
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
As a long-term expat living in Spain, I find Barcelona overpriced and too fast-paced for my liking. IMO, the restaurant/tapa scene as well as the museums in Madrid beat Barcelona hands down.

PM me if you have any more questions.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by txskygal
Hi FTers, I come seeking expertise. I'm planning on visiting Spain around October, for the first time and wish to know which of these two cities to travel too.

We love museums, good food, scenery, gardens, but not so much the night life.

I'd appreciate any help you can give!
For me Madrid offers good museums and art galleries, fantastic food and interesting buildings. I like Barcelona as well - it is very varied and as others have said it does also have a beach but if I had to choose one I'd go for Madrid.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: KE MC
I personally prefer Barcelona. Everything Gaudi. Great scenery (from Montjuic), beaches, and Park Guell. But it's also due to a slight museum fatigue (on my part).

For museums, Madrid is definitely the choice. There is Picasso's Guernica in Reina Sofia, the collection of Velazquez and Goya in Prado, and the Thyssen-Bornemisza.

As a tourist, I found Barcelona to be similar to Madrid in cost. I really enjoyed La Paradeta (in Barcelona) and Marisqueria Ribeira do Mino (in Madrid) for cheap, fresh seafood.

In Barcelona, the linguistic preference seemed to be Catalan>English>Castellano(Spanish). In Madrid, the linguistic preference was definitely Castellano(Spanish)>English.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:38 am

I enjoyed Madrid more than Barcelona. Even though the people tend to be friendlier in Barcelona Madrid caught me in some magic way
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
My wife and I are visiting both next month (and Cordoba, Sevilla, Marbella and Granada as well). We spent one night in Barcelona last summer and really enjoyed it after 9 days in Italy.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:00 am

I much prefer Barcelona as an experience, and the architecture.
But for culture visits (museums) Madrid wins.

It all depends on you.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: None, no how, no way
Been in both; IMHO, this thread does a pretty good job of outlining the basic attractions of both. I wouldn't like to be in the position to choose one or the other, because they're both great towns.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM; EK Silver
Barca y Madrid

Both have excellent Metro systems and are very walkable (though probably more hills in Barca). I lean towards Barcalona. In Barca check out the parks around the Olympic park and fort (Parc Monjuic); at the base of the hill is the Museo Nacional d'art de Catalunia (gorgeous inside and out...with an evening fountain show). Stroll the La Ramba and visit the Mercado. Check out the Gaudi house and Parc Gaudi (I read there is a charge now for parc admission). Visit the Sagrada Familia, go inside and pay the extra for a ride to the top. Check out the waterfront and the Old town area of Barcelona...then take a day trip to the Monestary at Montserrat. In Madrid, the Museo de Prado, and the adjacent Parc Retiro are highlights; Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol are major gathering places...stroll off any avenue from these sites and you will find some pretty good eats. There are good day trips from Madrid...Segovia, Aranjuez, Avila, and Toledo, to name a few. Madrid just seemed more packed with busy people--I prefer Barca.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL
Barcelona for Gaudi, excitement, beaches...

But as noted Madrid competes well on culture and less overall expense. Easy side trips from either....so tough call. I did a web special 5 days in Barcelona March 2011...loved it (came in at $1200 air/hostel/food & drink)! Did side trip of day outing to Manserrat was superb! Between Gaudi & Saguda Familia you have architecture that reminds me of F.L. Wright on LSD!

I did 6 days Madrid this year in March and loved all the museums and did a day outing to Toledo and another day outing to El Escorial. Also fantastic. I also did organized free (you tip) walking tours I would highly recommend.

Imagine it will be warmer in late Fall in Barcelona!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Been to both - If I had to pick only one for a return trip.......Madrid!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.