Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barcelona question, time to kill around Parc Guell

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Barcelona question, time to kill around Parc Guell

I'm taking a 3:30 tour of Parc Guell (only time I see it offered anywhere) and walking to ABaC for dinner that evening. Is there anything between the two worth seeing if I have 3 hours to kill?

I'm visiting other attractions/areas on different days.

Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:15 pm

This is personal of course. And I don't know in what season you are going. But after a walk through Park Guëll, and before having dinner in a place like ABaC, wouldn't it make more sense to go back to your hotel and have a shower and a change of clothes (especially in summer)?

I just can't imagine spending the afternoon in the park, then 3 more hours somewhere else (outdoors mainly), and then walking into ABaC for dinner. Call it old-fashioned, but certain places need a little more "respect" than that.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

I'm going in spring and will be wearing appropriate dinner attire in the park. I thought since 1-1.2 miles separate the two there would be something worth seeing between the two. I have no issues walking long distances in dress shoes.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:25 am

The area in between the two is a (quiet) residential area, not a lot to see there. I see 2 possibilities:

* From Avendia Tibidabo (where ABaC is) take the bus + cable car (funicular) up to Tibidabo and enjoy the views over the city. (Great at sunset!) Depending on when you are there, the bus is replaced by an old tram ("Tramvia Blau"). Alternatively, you can stop half way and enjoy the (lesser) view from there.
(Of course, you might have had enough views already from Park Guëll... )

* If you exit from Park Guëll through the main gate (rather than the side exit closer to ABaC), your walk will bring you past Plaça Lesseps. From there it's maybe worth to take a walk along Gracia (area southeast from Plaça Lesseps). (It's not a very touristy area, but always busy with locals from all over Barcelona.)
Remember that you can always take a short cheap taxi ride to ABaC after that.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice.

I really hadn't considered uphill/downhill on the way from one to the other. I'll probably enjoy the tour, take a taxi over and unwind with some cava on the terrace at ABaC and read a book. Garcia does look tempting as well.

I'm staying in the convention center area and didn't want to do a back-and-forth.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by asherg
I'll probably enjoy the tour, take a taxi over and unwind with some cava on the terrace at ABaC and read a book.
In that case, you could ask the taxi to bring you up to this place instead (which is at the "halfway up Tibidabo" point that I mentioned above). Have a drink there, and then walk back down to ABaC (about 20 minutes, downhill only).
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

wow. exceptional. It'll be a challenge to lay off the food there, but I'll try. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.