Wiki Posts
Search

Spain - Photo Radar ticket 400 E!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mynameismud
Last december i discovered on my Amex statement an Hertz fee (approx 30€) and did not know what it was related to. I then called Amex and ask them to investigate. My last rental with Hertz was 3 months ago, back in september, in Sardinia .
Of course i was not aware about any fine for speeding or parking.
A few days after my call to Amex, i received a letter from Hertz in Sardinia.
Although it was written in italian, it stated the 30€ fee was an administrative fee for providing my details to the municipal police in Sardinia. The bad news being the fine was about 100€ for driving into a municipal forbidden area....which of course i was not aware
Anyway a couple of weeks after my call to Amex, i found out they refunded the 30€ fee ^
I still did not receive the official letter from the municipal police, so i guess they gave up...
I had 2 tickets in Italy sent to me approx. 1 year after the event in question - I wouldn't give up hope yet
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: LH/LX, AY
One friend of mine was stopped by the police in Finland for driving too fast, 2 years ago.

He was on the way back to the airport for his flight back to ZRH.
The police told him that they should take his driving licence. But because he was flying back the same day, they don't took it. But he had to promise that his wife will drive the remaining way to Helsinki.
And he got a bill over 1000 E, and he hasn't paid... and since then he hasn't had any problems on arrival.
But maybe he just got luck?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by spellofiron
And he got a bill over 1000 E, and he hasn't paid... and since then he hasn't had any problems on arrival.
He got really lucky. Many countries in Europe will make you pay on the spot if you are a foreigner. They know that as soon as you leave the country they won't have any chance to collect the money.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by pjso
Also, speeding is not a crime, so it wouldn't even enter to any interpol database.
That is not universally true. In Ireland, for example, speeding is a crime.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: *G | OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by stifle
That is not universally true. In Ireland, for example, speeding is a crime.
OK, my bad then.
Is definitely not a crime in PT, ES, PL, SK
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by pjso
OK, my bad then.
Is definitely not a crime in PT, ES, PL, SK
In most countries it will depend by how much you are speeding. A small amount over the limit will be a fine and treated the same way as a parking ticket. Large amounts over the limit are handled as criminal offences (felony in US-speak) and handled by the courts in one way or another (you might be lucky in having it handled "by correspondence" with just a fine to pay, but it is a court issuing you with fine, not a police officer with an on the spot fine).
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I was in Italy with the US military about 14 years ago, and was a passenger in a car that my commander was driving.

We got on the toll road, but mistakenly entered in the "EZ-Pass" lane (rental car was not equipped for it)

When we exited the toll road, the attendent asked for our toll (entrance) ticket, which we did not have. He was not happy!

He asked for my boss' US driver's license, and issued a citation for about 100 Euros.

When we got back to the office, we looked more closely at the citation, and it was issued to "George Voinovich"

He was the Governor of Ohio, and his name was proudly listed on every Ohio license!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Should I point out here that the euro has only been in circulation for just short of 10 years?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I was in Italy with the US military about 14 years ago, and was a passenger in a car that my commander was driving.

We got on the toll road, but mistakenly entered in the "EZ-Pass" lane (rental car was not equipped for it)

When we exited the toll road, the attendent asked for our toll (entrance) ticket, which we did not have. He was not happy!

He asked for my boss' US driver's license, and issued a citation for about 100 Euros.

When we got back to the office, we looked more closely at the citation, and it was issued to "George Voinovich"

He was the Governor of Ohio, and his name was proudly listed on every Ohio license!
Haha. Reminds me of this story from Ireland:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7899171.stm
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Night Flyer
Unlike parking tickets, which are issued against the vehicle, speeding tickets are issued against the driver and no rental car company in or outside the EU agrees to bear such fees.
There are no uniform regulations in the EU. Some countries do charge speed-violations against the owner of the car (for example The Netherlands, Portugal, Hungary); most don't.
In Spain the authorities can charge against the owner if he is unwilling to disclose the drivers name at the time of the violation. The rental car company has done what they are legally supposed to do, so I guess they cannot be held responsible. But Iam not a lawyer.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Rental car companies are a unique case, but for individuals, yes the owner of the car is charged and assumes the burden of proving he wasn't responsible. This is because Europe uses radar cameras which cannot always prove who the driver was.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by stifle
Should I point out here that the euro has only been in circulation for just short of 10 years?
Well, my memory is not perfect. I'm pretty sure it was around 1995-6, so I guess it was Italian Lira. I know it was about $100 dollars (equivalent) back then.

There is actually more to the story. During our deployment to Pisa, Italy we gave an "incentive flight" to the Italian Carbinieri (Federal Police) on one of our USAF missions. Several Carabinieri officers got to come along on our flight to see what we do.

During the flight, we told the story to one of the officers (we had a translator), and he laughed, and took the ticket, and said he would "dispose" of it.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:36 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spellofiron
One friend of mine was stopped by the police in Finland for driving too fast, 2 years ago.

He was on the way back to the airport for his flight back to ZRH.
The police told him that they should take his driving licence. But because he was flying back the same day, they don't took it. But he had to promise that his wife will drive the remaining way to Helsinki.
Even if I were inclined to pay a fine, a "huge" amt like 1000E, would give me second thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.