Wiki Posts
Search

Best Location for Tapas in Madrid??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
Best Location for Tapas in Madrid??

I know this may be like asking, "where is the best location for pizza in New York??"; but, I think it may be a bit easier . . . either way, worth a shot!

My daughter and I are headed to Madrid for Spring break and we have the first two days arranged at Hostal Abracadabra for the museums, hoho bus, etc.

The last night we do not yet have a hotel and I am hoping that there is a relatively small area where we can gorge ourselves on Tapas; and, hence would search for a room nearby. Please pass along your experience regarding a neighborhood or blocks where you have enjoyed an abundance of wonderful Tapas . . .

Thanks in advance for suggestions!!

Last edited by idriveuride; Feb 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm
Old Feb 26, 2011, 6:48 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Ca.lle Cava Baja, near Plaza Mayor, and around Plaza Santa Ana, all have great tapas places. Also Mercado San Miguel (near Plaza Mayor, as well) has great tapas. A hotel near Sol will be walkable to all of this.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
THANK YOU . . .

This is exactly what I was looking for and have booked a hostal right at Sol. Seems like each direction from the Hostal is steps away from eactly what I am looking for on our last evening!

I am sure this will help MANY other people and appreciate your post!
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:19 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
And for some specifics: on Cava Baja, there are tons of great tapas places, but don't miss Casa Lucas. Two of their tapas, in particular, are great. One is a medallion of pork on toast with caramelized onions; the other is a medallion of chicken on toast with caramelized onions and corn mousse. Also try some of the other bars there. One makes a tapa of chorizo and manchego cheese on toast, drizzled with a caramel sauce. Try the pimientos padron at some of the tapas bars. Near Plaza Santa Ana is Las Bravas, which claims to have invented the tapa "Patatas Bravas," one of the most common tapas in Spain. Also Casa del Abuelo, which invented Gambas Ajillas (shrimp cooked in olive oil, garlic and peppers). Tapaceria Cervantes (near the Westin) has some of the best seafood tapas in Madrid. Their Gambas a la plancha (grilled giant shrimp) are some of the best I've had, though expensive. Pulpo gallego there is also pretty good.

San Miguel market is just a feast for the eyes and stomach. Everything there. And, if you can fit it in, try Churros con Chocolate at San Gines Chocolateria, near the Plaza Mayor (I just had some tonight). Very decadent. Spaniards tend to have it for breakfast, but it's also a great dessert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.