WN coming to Branson, Missouri

Old Jul 4, 2012, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
WN coming to Branson, Missouri

WN to start service in to Branson, MO beginning in the first half of 2013

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/n...html?ana=yfcpc
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:17 am

Is there a revenue guarantee that the airport will offer a certain amount of money as an insurance policy in case SWA loses revenue?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
No surprise since FL was already there and BKG subsidizes flights serving that airport. You may also find it interesting that ground crews (including TAs, GAs and OAs) are all contracted employees who work multiple airlines across BKG's four gates.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:49 am

BKG can also grant an airline exclusive rights on a route.

From an older article in the New York Times:

In Missouri, Investors Seek a Profit in Branson Airport
By CHRISTINE NEGRONI
Published: April 20, 2009

Because Branson eschewed federal assistance, it was free of the restrictions that accompany government aid. That allowed the owners to offer exclusive contracts to AirTran and Sun Country airlines on certain routes to Branson.

“We don’t want suicide fares, two or three airlines bashing each other over the head until someone says ‘uncle’ and leaves,” said Mr. Peet, explaining why the airport agreed to protect the airlines from competition. “We want to build real service, sustainable service.”
[SNIP]

With the clock set to start ticking next month, every possible way is being considered for maximizing the profit-making potential of the airport. Airlines are being wooed with a range of services so complete that the carriers need not hire a single employee. Security at checkpoints, of course, is provided by the Transportation Security Administration.

“We’re trying to make it as easy as possible for the airlines, with no station set-up costs, no installation of computers,” Mr. Bourk said. “You come up to the counter and it’s a Branson airport employee who will process your ticket and get you onto the flight.”
I could see the FL MDW-BKG service transitioning over to WN, and then have the flight continue to DAL as a one-stop between MDW & DAL.

It's a pretty direct routing

MDW-BKG-DAL
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:06 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Gotta wonder about the future of BKG, though:
For the second time this year, the Branson Airport did not make its bond payment, leaving the future of the facility up in the air...
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SDCA
WN to start service in to Branson, MO beginning in the first half of 2013

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/n...html?ana=yfcpc
Hmmm. On which the specific route is that? I think they will starting to MDW, MKE, ATL, PHX, LAS and BWI, too. It's whether or not.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
So, I guess I was wrong about ECP but I will be shocked if BKG lives to ever see self sustaining, unsubsidized service on WN.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by LoneStarMike
BKG can also grant an airline exclusive rights on a route.
Not being familiar with the airport, I went over to Airnav.com to check it out, and when I typed-in BKG the following showed up with the airport identifier as BBG:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KBBG

Meanwhile, over at the homepage for the airport operator, they're showing the identifier as BKG:

http://flybranson.com/

Elsewhere on the airport operator's site, this is mentioned in their FAQs for pilots:

The IATA code is BKG
The ICAO code is KBBG

Now, here in the US, the only difference between the two is that the ICAO code has the "K" prefix for international flight plan filings, just like Airnav's listing shows it. I can't think of a single exception to this convention here in the States. Odd..

Lord only knows what the luggage tags will show...
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Phoenix Gateway also has a bit of an identity crisis.

Also, FWIW southwest.com has long had "Branson, MO - BKG" to redirect you over to airtran.com so I guess the bags shall be tagged BKG.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
Now, here in the US, the only difference between the two is that the ICAO code has the "K" prefix for international flight plan filings, just like Airnav's listing shows it. I can't think of a single exception to this convention here in the States. Odd..

Lord only knows what the luggage tags will show...
That's how FL had set it up... BKG and more than one pilot had pointed out the discrepancy. Dispatch also read BKG (IIRC). FWIW F9 also used BKG. You wouldn't want a BBG tag...

FlightStats code: BBG
IATA code: BBG
ICAO code: NGTU

Butaritari KI (KIRIBATI) N 3°1'0" E 172°46'0"

So even BBG has a dual identity!!!

As for the airport being able to name exclusive routes... FL started as the first carrier in Branson with a MSP-MKE-BKG same aircraft through flight. Something they thought would perform. And it was gaining travellers... Until BKG granted Sun Country the direct route. I think BKG made a bad decision on that one. Jeopardizing both routes. FL's MKE-BKG ended shortly after Sun Country began. F9 picked up MKE-BKG and it too was short lived. BKG is no longer on the Sun Country route map. I believe all of those had some guarantee of load levels. But without feed from MSP...

So as I see it if WN wants to increase anything to BKG they have to have a sitdown with the airport and explain how feed works to avoid repeating that mistake.

BKG also has a bit of problem... it was setup to promote Branson not BKG. If BKG also promoted itself as an alternative to SGF (AA UA & DL) or COU (DL).... when FL's MKE-BKG was running it was surprising how many Springfield area passengers found it easier and often more cost effective than SGF. WN could do that promotion to connect to the system... If it works add more flights and Branson still likely wins.

Last edited by traveller001; Jul 4, 2012 at 10:52 pm
Old Jul 5, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by traveller001
BKG also has a bit of problem... it was setup to promote Branson not BKG. If BKG also promoted itself as an alternative to SGF (AA UA & DL) or COU (DL).... when FL's MKE-BKG was running it was surprising how many Springfield area passengers found it easier and often more cost effective than SGF. WN could do that promotion to connect to the system... If it works add more flights and Branson still likely wins.
I also found BKG to be a very cost-effective alternative to XNA; well worth the ~90 minute drive through the Ozarks.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Now, here in the US, the only difference between the two is that the ICAO code has the "K" prefix for international flight plan filings, just like Airnav's listing shows it. I can't think of a single exception to this convention here in the States.
That's how it usually works, but there are lots of exceptions. As already noted, Phoenix-Gateway has AZA as its IATA code and KIWA as its ICAO code. A few couple other examples I can think of off the top of my head are Kalispell, MT (FCA/KGPI) and Tunica, MS (UTM/KUTA).
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by steex
That's how it usually works, but there are lots of exceptions. As already noted, Phoenix-Gateway has AZA as its IATA code and KIWA as its ICAO code. A few couple other examples I can think of off the top of my head are Kalispell, MT (FCA/KGPI) and Tunica, MS (UTM/KUTA).
I wasn't aware that Phoenix-Dateway had anything other than IWA/KIWA, since FAA shows IWA as their identifier, and IWA/KIWA are what are in use for ATC flight plan filings.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KIWA

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KIWA

I wonder where AZA came from, and why they just didn't use the IWA identifier for both ATA/ICAO...
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
I wasn't aware that Phoenix-Dateway had anything other than IWA/KIWA, since FAA shows IWA as their identifier, and IWA/KIWA are what are in use for ATC flight plan filings.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KIWA

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KIWA

I wonder where AZA came from, and why they just didn't use the IWA identifier for both ATA/ICAO...
The IWA code comes from the previous name - Williams Gateway Airport, which it took from previously being Williams AFB. That is its FAA identifier and, as you note, that leads to the ICAO code of KIWA. However, the IWA IATA code was already in use by a Russian airport, so IATA assigned the airport CHD (if I recall correctly, this was based on its location being near to Chandler, AZ). The airport authority wanted something that had more of an Arizona "feel" to it, though, and thus petitioned for their IATA code to be modified to AZA.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by steex
The IWA code comes from the previous name - Williams Gateway Airport, which it took from previously being Williams AFB. That is its FAA identifier and, as you note, that leads to the ICAO code of KIWA. However, the IWA IATA code was already in use by a Russian airport, so IATA assigned the airport CHD (if I recall correctly, this was based on its location being near to Chandler, AZ). The airport authority wanted something that had more of an Arizona "feel" to it, though, and thus petitioned for their IATA code to be modified to AZA.
Chandler is actually a separate airport...

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCHD

I wonder what use AZA is getting, and by whom...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.