Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Key West service begins Nov. 4, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Key West service begins Nov. 4, 2012

Southwest to begins service to Keywest, FL with one daily nonstop from Tampa and Orlando.

Services starts Sunday November 4, 2012. And yes, it's on Southwest medal, not AirTran.

Also, service to begins to Akron and Dayton, OH on August 12th and
Des Moines, IA on September 30th.

Last edited by SDCA; Jun 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm Reason: Additional cities served listed.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
DSM to what cities?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by lougord99
DSM to what cities?
Des Moines to Chicago Midway

Akron to Chicago and Denver

Dayton to Denver

Key West to Tampa and Orlando

Last edited by SDCA; Jun 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm Reason: More flight info
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:33 am

Wish they'd do a Key West to Las Vegas.... (hey a girl can dream!)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Clamqueen
That could happen, albeit only by the powers-that-be making the nearby Naval Air Station (NQX, Boca Chica Field) a "joint-use" airport, like CHS, BLV, ABQ, and YUM (now NYL, actually)) are already. With a 10,000 foot runway at NQX and being so close to sea level, NQX-LAS non-stop would be quite easy.

I'd have to jump in Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine to recall exactly when it was, but there was some talk of this eons ago, especially since when airlines used to run hurricane evacuation flights, they did so (including some widebodies) out of NQX, and not EYW.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
No, apparently not. Because it was very short runway and they won't start to LAS. Due to weight restricted. The runway is just only 4,800 length feet.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
That could happen, albeit only by the powers-that-be making the nearby Naval Air Station (NQX, Boca Chica Field) a "joint-use" airport, like CHS, BLV, ABQ, and YUM (now NYL, actually)) are already. With a 10,000 foot runway at NQX and being so close to sea level, NQX-LAS non-stop would be quite easy.

I'd have to jump in Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine to recall exactly when it was, but there was some talk of this eons ago, especially since when airlines used to run hurricane evacuation flights, they did so (including some widebodies) out of NQX, and not EYW.
Some things just make too much sense for government officials to approve them.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 4:02 pm

I think Marathon (MTH) has a longer runway, plus it's a central keys location. That would make me even happier! Yes MTH to LAS. That would be perfection!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:55 pm

I think Marathon (MTH) has a longer runway, plus it's a central keys location. That would make me even happier! Yes MTH to LAS. That would be perfection!
Well, yeah, technically, it is indeed longer, but that extra 207 feet (MTH- 5,008 vs EYW 4,801) still won't get an airliner from the Keys non-stop to LAS... So sorry...

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KEYW

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMTH
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Some things just make too much sense for government officials to approve them.
Oh, I hear you...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:39 pm

I really hope they are considering an ATL to Key west route. That would be the bomb
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Well, yeah, technically, it is indeed longer, but that extra 207 feet (MTH- 5,008 vs EYW 4,801) still won't get an airliner from the Keys non-stop to LAS... So sorry...

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KEYW

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KMTH
Yes, OPNLGuy is right. They won't allowed it. Due to weight restrictions. Because the runway is very tight. They cannot get a fully loaded. It won't go. Only where another airport who does have a longer runway. Only FLL, MIA, MCO, TPA, PBI does have a longer runway.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by aviator8
I really hope they are considering an ATL to Key west route. That would be the bomb
DL was running larger aircraft from ATL into EYW last year but I didn't see any landing this year.. likely too many problems with fuel load/dispatch probably made them rethink and just schedule more RJs. I didn't see any US larger aircraft landing this year either. Though it was less travelled May and I wasn't really paying attention. I did spend a lot of pool time under the approach path.

ATL-TPA-EYW or ATL-MCO-EYW through flights with 30 minutes on the ground would be the next best option. With WN's possible connections in TPA and MCO to darn near everywhere they fly that should ensure full EYW flights. And probably why they're grabbing up EYW so soon.

Last edited by traveller001; Jun 25, 2012 at 11:37 pm
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Add MCO to the list albeit formerly joint use cold war pre Disney explosion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando...tional_Airport

If demand justifies it I wouldn't rule out NQX someday going joint use... Increasing vistors and freeing up the land EYW occupies for development. Land in Key West is very expensive and the government has to have a hard time justifying expenses of NQX in this economy and fiscal environment.

Last edited by traveller001; Jun 25, 2012 at 11:43 pm
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:00 pm

Anyone know if there are plans to add more flights to Key West? With the departure times out of TPA and MCO being before 1pm, it is simply not possible to depart from the west coast and make a connecting flight the same day. For example, EYW to SAN is possible with 2 connections, but the reverse is not true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.