Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Website workaround discussion, commentary and help thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler

THANKS for the link to the awards booking area. I've been searching for this. I have 5 leftover RR 1.0 award tickets which have NOT expired yet. Why does it give you the option to "reisuuse" the tickets. It says "availble for reissue." What does that mean or what is that for? My awards haven't expired yet.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
You need to login to MyAccount before you use these:

Originally Posted by ftnoob
... and they appear to work very well. Thanks, ftnoob!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:42 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

You do need to be logged in to see the info on those pages, but if getting to one of those pages is your main objective, go ahead and use any of those URLs before logging in. If you are not logged in, each of those URLs will redirect to a URL of the form:
https://www.southwest.com/flight/login?returnUrl=…
After you enter your login credentials the requested page will be displayed without first displaying the default account view page.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by boeing727
THANKS for the link to the awards booking area. I've been searching for this. I have 5 leftover RR 1.0 award tickets which have NOT expired yet. Why does it give you the option to "reisuuse" the tickets. It says "availble for reissue." What does that mean or what is that for? My awards haven't expired yet.
Yeah, that's definitely caused some confusion. You can renew them now if you wish and get another year tacked on. But why would you pay that $50 fee until they are about to expire?

That option really shouldn't be there until an award is less than 30 days from expiring.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:32 pm

The old policy was six months; 30 days would be downright rude.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:38 pm

The old policy was six months; 30 days would be downright rude.
I was just throwing a time period out there. The 'renew' button is causing quite a bit of confusion. I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to renew it, say, 10 months in advance, but it should be an option on another screen, for example. Having that 'renew' button on the main screen of your awards that haven't expired yet just doesn't make that page flow well.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:11 am

Thanks for the bookmarks. The new site is not as user friendly as the old one.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:29 am

Imagine a world in which the WN fare search input page looked something like this (cropped) image:

Guess what…mine now does!

Except for the red rounded rectangle highlighting the weird alignment problem, the above is an actual screenshot of the flight input page in my browser, not a mockup.

As of now the expert mode section is just being used to replace the cursed ad carousel. Making it functional is one of the next projects.

Note also that in the left panel the one way option is already chosen and the third city input field is already displayed (although it is disabled for one way searches). That all happens automatically.

If you want to make changes like this to southwest.com on your computer, install the Customize Your Web add on for Firefox.

I will soon share some customizations that you can install without having to create your own.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This is where I want one of those animated smilies that bows down with both hands in front. Just amazing.

Southwest gives us a horrible website and ftnoob makes it tolerable. Now if I could only get rid of the persistent (for more than a year now) problem in which the payment section vanishes from the purchase screen after I add the second TTF. Southwest has not been able to replicate the problem, but I certainly have, and on several different computers.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
This is where I want one of those animated smilies that bows down with both hands in front.
Here you go:

It turns out that once I looked into it, getting rid of the entire utterly useless middle column on the revamped flight search page was the easiest / shortest script I have ever written. It is so simple that there are multiple variations that IE, both old versions of IE and recently bookmarklet-crippled versions of IE, should be able to handle it with aplomb!

The reasons I did this with the Firefox CYW Add On were:
  • to avoid the hassle of having to manually apply a bookmarklet every time you load the page;
  • there will be a good bit more code involved to make the expert mode functional; and
  • probably most importantly, the flight search results page, which contains input fields to modify a search, will also have to be modified. Applying another bookmarklet every time you run a search would get very old very quickly.
Before moving on to the simplest form of the script, I encourage readers to use this one just for kicks:
Code:
javascript:void($('#center-content').fadeOut(3000))
(Oops, sorry, it is kind of boring in IE 7.0, but pretty cool in Firefox 3.6x).

A quicker approach is to use:
Code:
javascript:void($('#center-content').hide())
The cool thing about those two scripts is that they take advantage of the JavaScript library jQuery, which SWA uses to (among other things) inflict this ad carousel pain on us, and turns it back on them to zap the painfully annoying content.

We don't need a fancy library to get rid of the center content, however. This simple script should be supported by all major browsers:
Code:
javascript:void(document.getElementById('center-content').innerHTML='')
Copy and paste any of the above to the URL line of your browser while viewing the main flight search page. To try a second or third script, refresh the page after using one of the scripts. Pick the one you like best and bookmark it.

ETA: note that the last version of the script could cause JavaScript errors, and if your IE is set to break on all JS errors you'll be in for a world of hurt. Changing such a setting is possible in many cases, but tedious. Better just to use one of the first two (jQuery) versions of the script, or the native counterpart of the second version.

Last edited by ftnoob; May 17, 2011 at 10:56 am Reason: a) As noted; b) typo
Old May 17, 2011, 8:26 am

Thanks, ftnoob. If I post the java script into the URL window, things work as described. But in FF 4, when I save the page as a bookmark, the bookmarked page that gets stored is the original page without your modifications.

Perhaps I'm missing something.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:13 pm

Right, a script is not a page, so it has to be saved differently; the browser's Bookmark This Page function will still save the URL of the page.

There is a way to make bookmarklets appear as a links on a web page that you can right click, then use the "Bookmark This Link" function from the context menu. Neither the board software nor the wiki software offer a way to display that kind of link, however.

You can manually edit the bookmark you already made, change the name to something descriptive (like ZAP SWA Flight Page Ad Carousel), and change the location to be just the entire bookmarklet (including the javascript: portion, which, like http: or ftp:, tells the browser what protocol to use to handle the rest of the characters).

Or copy this script and paste it to the URL line:
Code:
javascript:"<html><head><title>Bookmarklets for SWA</title><style> a.bml { border:1px solid black; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 80%; text-decoration: none; color: black;}li {margin-bottom: 5px;}body{margin: 5%; background-color: snow}</style></head><body><p>Right click any of these bookmarklets to save for reuse on SWA's flight search request page. <br>You can also drag them the bookmarks menu or a bookmarks toolbar.:<ul><li><a class=bml href=\"javascript:void($('#center-content').fadeOut(3000))\">Fade Out Center Column</a></li><li><a class=bml href=\"javascript:void($('#center-content').hide())\">Hide Center Column</a></li><li><a class=bml href=\"javascript:void(document.getElementById('center-content').innerHTML='')\">ZAP Center Column</a></li><li><a class=bml href=\"javascript:void($('#center-content').show())\">Unhide Center Column</a></li></ul></body></html>"
It will display a page with "links" you can right-click or drag to save the above three bookmarklets, plus a fourth that unhides the center column.

Your saved bookmarklet won't load the SWA flight search page, you have to load the page first, then apply the bookmarklet to the page. To do that every time without making it a two-step process, use the Customize Your Web add on mentioned above (or GreaseMonkey). (I downloaded the "Dive Into GreaseMonkey" pdf and started to read it, but haven't gotten to the point of writing a GM script yet, which is why I am using CYW for now.)
Old May 17, 2011, 12:31 pm

Nice tips, thanks.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:38 am

ftnoob...

Thanks so much for the links. I bookmarked the "Flexible Date Award Search" and did a practice run the AM for when the new schedule opens for my dates. This may prove to be helpful info for me.

I need to book 6 standard award r/t's and I fear that, given my dates, my "survival odds" for this venture are grim.

Is there no way to book more than 1 award at a time? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Old May 23, 2011, 4:04 pm

From a different thread:
My current thinking is to make [classic booking interface] a user-selectable option in the forthcoming GreaseMonkey script.
Instead of a configuration option, I could go with a tabbed interface, borrowing tabbed styles already in use. So instead of the current interface visible to the left of the expert mode interface, as shown previously:

the page could look something like this:
Then the configuration option would be used to set the default, and it would be easy to switch for any one particular use, without going to the script configuration dialog. Feel free to comment by PM.

Last edited by ftnoob; May 23, 2011 at 11:03 pm Reason: Mostly formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.