Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

RR Visa Signup Offers (variations from standard)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RR Visa Signup Offers (variations from standard)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:07 pm
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
I noticed the 50K point offer is on the SWA home page (for a limited time).

Apply for the Southwest Airlines Rapid RewardsŪ Premier Card and we'll get you started with 50,000 bonus points after your first purchase2 - that's over $800 in Wanna Get AwayŪ Fares that can be redeemed for 2 FREE ROUNDTRIP FLIGHTS!

I want to get a Premier Card so DH can get the additional TQM bonus points--we currently have the regular Rapid Rewards card. I have the same question as ScottCa596 as to what other folks experiences have been recently on getting the bonus miles on the new card type.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ScottCa596
Thank you for the 50,000 point link that was STILL ACTIVE as of today.

I have a question - I called to cancel my previous Chase card - and the lady was VERY RUDE to me - telling me that I would NOT get this bonus on the new card as I had received a previous bonus (last January 19200 point under the old system)

What I didn't tell her is that I have been doing this for the past 12 or so years; canceling as my anniversary date would come up to avoid paying the new annual fee on the old card and getting a new card for the old RR1.0 free award.

So my question - Has anyone been turned down or not received the 50,000 points because they had previously received points from Chase?

(I see so many people open 2 and sometimes 4 cards and never hear about them not receiving their points)

Thanks in advance for your input on this.

I read on Million Mile Secrets blog that people still got the 50k even when the chase representative threaten them that they will not get the 50K because they already has a SW card. Don't forget this, unless chase has a button to click and deny people for signup bonus, the representative can say whatever they want but in order to deny you the point, they will need to tinker the IT and the programming which is not likely they can do that.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:46 pm

Turned Down

I did get turned down.

I had canceled my previous Southwest Chase Card. Opened the 50k new card.

A few days later I recieved a letter from Chase stating that my new credit card application was on hold - and that I needed to call them with additional information - and if I did not call in 30 days that they would assume I did not want the card and no action would be taken.

So I called SW Chase - the lady on the phone said that I had just canceled the old card - and applied for the new card. I said "YES". She went on to tell me that I just couldn't do that to get the bonus; that it was a one time offer - I said I had not done any offer under the new RR2.0 program only under the RR1.0 program - She still said "No" - But she then did in an incredibly friendly voice tell me that she would be happy to re-open my old card for me.

I told her "No Thanks" and we ended our conversation.

As I was connecting through Denver a few Sunday's ago - the whole Southwest concourse was filled with huge ads and banners promoting the 50k card - I even read the fine print on the biggest ad. There was nothing about it only being open to non-existing customers. So as I was walking by the kiosk there were 3 Chase sales people hawking the card - One of them tried handing me the clipboard to sign-up - as I reached for the application; proudly saying "I already have a SW Chase card" - she quickly retracted the clipboard with the application and say "You can't have another card!". I said "It doesn't say anything about that on all the banners and ads you have posted through the concourse". She said "Well - you can't." and turned to someone else.

I haven't been feeling the luv from Chase lately.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:53 am

Interesting. Yesterday, I applied and was automatically approved for the Business Plus card using a link for an offer for 50,000 points (I already have the regular card). Then I noticed that the link on the Southwest website now offers only 25,000 points for the Plus level cards, but 50,000 for the Premier level ones. Luckily, I kept a screenshot of the approval page, which shows the Plus card and 50k points offer. Hopefully I won't have to argue with Chase about it.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:16 pm

I've been ignoring all my RR emails, postal mail, and airport kiosk salesmen for many years. But after all of my years of 2P on UA and the recent downgrading of all 2P benefits, I'm leaving the legacy carrier for WN full time. I'm already A-list but now I'm going for a CP.

For the past 6 months, I've been monitoring the mail I've previously ignored and they all seem to be offering the same deal.

Is 50,000 points at sign up the best offer I can expect see? Should I go ahead and pull the trigger?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by aslsigner
Is 50,000 points at sign up the best offer I can expect see? Should I go ahead and pull the trigger?
Yes. and Yes. $800+ of value from a credit card signup is close to the maximum ever offered for any loyalty program. I hope the same offer is available a year from now, but I suspect it will not be.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:55 am

This seems like a really good deal. I just got this deal in my email. We are not frequent flyers, but are looking to take a trip to California in October. This would come close to covering the cost of the trip. Do they charge you right away for the yearly fee? It looks like you just use this one time and the credit is put in your account after 6-8 weeks? Then you cancel it after a year so you don't have to pay the annual fee? Just trying to figure it out. Thanks for the responses.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by tamcase
Do they charge you right away for the yearly fee? It looks like you just use this one time and the credit is put in your account after 6-8 weeks? Then you cancel it after a year so you don't have to pay the annual fee? Just trying to figure it out. Thanks for the responses.
The annual fee is NOT waived for the 1st year. Expect to see it on the 1st statement.

Also, it likely will take less than 6-8 days (nowhere near 6-8 weeks) after the statement closes for points to post.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:00 pm

Another question. Maybe a stupid one, but I have never dealt with any rewards programs for flying. After I apply, make my first purchase and the rewards are applied to my account, is there anything that I need to do when I purchase my tickets? Will they just automatically apply? Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by tamcase
Another question. Maybe a stupid one, but I have never dealt with any rewards programs for flying. After I apply, make my first purchase and the rewards are applied to my account, is there anything that I need to do when I purchase my tickets? Will they just automatically apply? Thanks!
It depends on what you mean by "automatically." Southwest Rapid Rewards program is different from most airlines in that points have a fixed value relative to the cost of the underlying fare (rather than X points are required to fly between Y & Z). However, just because you have a points balance and decide to fly Southwest does not mean that your points will be used - you choose whether to pay with dollars or pay with points.

You might want to read over the Wiki linked in a sticky thread in this forum and/or the "About Rapid Rewards" on the Southwest website to become more familiar with the program.

In short, when you search for a fare for which you would like to use your points instead of dollars, you can search as normal and then check the radial button next to "points" instead of "dollars", select the fare you want and then click "continue." See this page and note how near the bottom of the search box it says: "Show Fares in [] Dollars[*] Points".
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:12 pm

I just received an email confirming the business card was approved, and to expect the physical card to arrive soon. No mention of the bonus points anywhere.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Yes. and Yes. $800+ of value from a credit card signup is close to the maximum ever offered for any loyalty program. I hope the same offer is available a year from now, but I suspect it will not be.
Thanks. I did pull the trigger and got approved for the Premium Card.

Originally Posted by ursine1
I just received an email confirming the business card was approved, and to expect the physical card to arrive soon. No mention of the bonus points anywhere.
I got approved on the spot but I never received an email saying that it was approved. I hope that since I got the personal card, that's why the email wasn't sent. Maybe it's worth a call to check...
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:40 am

I applied for and received the Plus version of the card at the end of December because, at the time, it was the only 50K signup bonus option I saw available. The points have just posted. I would *rather* have the Premier version, though - the extra $30/year for double the RR points alone is worth it to me. Has anyone had an experience of asking Chase to "upgrade" their card, especially so quickly after getting it?

I am also planning to do an app for the business version of the card now, as well, to get close to CP qualification. Is a month long enough to wait for that? Also, since I've only put the one bonus-qualifying purchase on the card, will that factor into my ability to get the business card (I'm expecting a reconsideration call)... because if so, I'd rather go ahead and put a few more purchases on it just to make it look a little better.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StckFigure
I applied for and received the Plus version of the card at the end of December because, at the time, it was the only 50K signup bonus option I saw available. The points have just posted. I would *rather* have the Premier version, though - the extra $30/year for double the RR points alone is worth it to me. Has anyone had an experience of asking Chase to "upgrade" their card, especially so quickly after getting it?

I am also planning to do an app for the business version of the card now, as well, to get close to CP qualification. Is a month long enough to wait for that? Also, since I've only put the one bonus-qualifying purchase on the card, will that factor into my ability to get the business card (I'm expecting a reconsideration call)... because if so, I'd rather go ahead and put a few more purchases on it just to make it look a little better.
If you call and upgrade an existing card, you do NOT get the bonus again. I know because I did it recently.

I think people ought to give Chase some business by using the card a decent amount, and they should not try to wring every cent possible out of the deal. My gut feeling, having dealt with Chase for a long time, is that they are more likely to work with you if they don't see you trying to take advantage of them. They do keep track of this stuff.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:03 am

Question I'm confused about the "two free flights" wording

Hi folks,

I'm new to the Rapid Rewards program, and I just opened my Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card account because they offered 50,000 "bonus points." I haven't charged anything to the card yet so they haven't issued the points, and to be honest, despite everything I've read here it, it still sounds too good to be true. I'll believe it when I see it!

ANYWAY, here's my question: The way the copywriting in the advertising is worded is a little confusing to me. They keep saying these "bonus points" can be redeemed for "2 free roundtrip flights." But, if I understand the Rapid Rewards program correctly, I could technically redeem these 50,000 points for more than two roundtrip flights, correct? They're just points, and I can use them however I want, right? For example, I fly from SMF to SAN a couple times a year, and I can get a roundtrip SMF-SAN for about 15,000 points if I book early enough with the Wanna Get Away fare. That means I could buy THREE roundtrip flights from Sacramento to San Diego with these 50,000 bonus points they're giving me, right? 15,000 points x 3 roundtrip flights = 45000 points. Right?

I'd really appreciate anyone who could give me a clear answer on this. I've literally spent over two hours on this site, Southwest's, and the wiki studying the Rapid Rewards program, and I feel like I almost understand it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.