Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Post Your Boarding Card # (non EarlyBird, A-list or BS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Your Boarding Card # (non EarlyBird, A-list or BS)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: Southwest CP, Hyatt Gold Passport Plat, Priority Club Plat, Best Western Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by SisterEarth
Exactly the same thing happened to me today, refreshing at T-24:00:00 to no avail. Then resorted to going back to the main Check-in menu to try to get through and was finally able to view and choose the Boarding Pass Available option at T-23:58:06

#654 Depart MDW 9:25 AM (B20)
Arrive SLC 11:50 AM
Change plane
#872 SLC Depart 12:15 PM (A22)

Originally Posted by nsx
As I posted on another thread, you have encountered an unfortunate side effect of the website upgrade: our customized OLCI URLs don't work the same and are no longer useful.

The new website changes the customized URL the first time you use it, so that subsequent refreshes will not get you the BP option. Our resident web wizard ftnoob has been looking into this for a day or two.

You could use the customized URL by repeatedly pasting it into the URL line of your browser, but it's probably faster to use the standard back button method on the regular OLCI page. Another FT hack bites the dust.

I wasn't using the handy dandy FT URL, I accessed my reservation thru the Checkin Online option on the Travel Tools menu.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: PC, WN, AA
Fri 10/9 MDW-LGA 7:40pm
T-24
A46
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: PC, WN, AA
10/11 BWI-MDW 2:30pm
T-23:58
A-42
Old Oct 11, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
10/11 HOU-LIT 4:50 pm
T-23:58
A-52
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
OP - thanks for posting this thread.

I have 4 WN flights in the next two weeks, and was unaware of the EB program until reading these boards this weekend.

From this thread, it seems like I can save my $10.

FWIW, I think it's a horrible system to implement, and if they are going to start the nickel and diming they always assert they are against as an airline, then they should suck it up and just do pre-assigned seating. It just doesn't seem there is any real value to the pax for EBCI, but certainly a nice revenue enhancement for WN.

Regardless, if I end up in B boarding (have NEVER been below A40 on a WN flight ever), it will certainly end my travels with WN, as it would take an already PITA seating system into new lows that I can't be bothered to deal with.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:32 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
DesertFlier, the main advantage is not having to sit by a computer at T-24 for OLCI.

Long-haul passengers not buying EBCI are pretty much guaranteed to do worse than A40. I got an A50 with a perfectly timed OLCI for a one-hour flight. A49 for another. Granted, there were probably 10 to 15 A-listers on these flights, but still, people are paying for EBCI on one-hour flights.

EB results in people who value earlier boarding paying for it in dollars, rather than in inconvenience. If other airlines will get you your preferred seat at no charge every time (and I really doubt that they will if you book less than a few weeks ahead), then you should switch. Provided, of course, that you like their pricing and change fee policies.

There is no airline product that's perfect for everyone. There may not even be a product that's perfect for anyone.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx
DesertFlier, the main advantage is not having to sit by a computer at T-24 for OLCI.

Long-haul passengers not buying EBCI are pretty much guaranteed to do worse than A40. I got an A50 with a perfectly timed OLCI for a one-hour flight. A49 for another. Granted, there were probably 10 to 15 A-listers on these flights, but still, people are paying for EBCI on one-hour flights.

EB results in people who value earlier boarding paying for it in dollars, rather than in inconvenience. If other airlines will get you your preferred seat at no charge every time (and I really doubt that they will if you book less than a few weeks ahead), then you should switch. Provided, of course, that you like their pricing and change fee policies.

There is no airline product that's perfect for everyone. There may not even be a product that's perfect for anyone.

From what I've read on the EBCI thread, even those who are paying the $10 aren't always seeing great results. Just as those on this thread seem to be doing quite well in NOT paying the up-charge. WN's seating system works well for kettles, but not for frequent flyers, unless then can delegate the check-in to an assistant. Adding this bogus "benefit" in order to increase revenue and not being able to guarantee any real value in the process, is a smoke screen, and something that will certainly turn off other pax, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this to be a joke. And at the passenger's expense, mind you.

If the rationale for this seating system and subsequent "upgrade" is that WN allows no-penalty refunds to an itin, I'd rather get a confirmed seat elsewhere and run the risk I need to change my itin. Though, quite honestly, as an elite, I have been successful in not paying change fees with other airlines. I just think an airline who touts itself as being fee-free, and then offers a program to check-in early FOR A FEE, is a little too transparent.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Companion's Check-in:

10/13 PDX-MDW 1:55pm
T-24:00
A-31
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by irabk
Good luck on the way back. Pre EBCI, we used to get A40-B10's on the flight out of LAS due to all the West Coast connections checking in before us.
Yep - A-54 for the LAS->MDW flight on the 14th. I blew it and out of force of habit kept hitting refresh on the URL before I realized it wasn't changing off the security document or what-ever that thing is before T-24. Probably lost a few spots, but not many for her. Wasted about a minute before realizing the goof

Good enough for an aisle seat and $10 more she has in her pocket
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: status-less.
Just checked a pile of family in for flights tomorrow. I was on my computer at work and at the same time my wife was attempting to check us in from the computer at home. Both of us with multiple windows open, clicking as fast as we could from exactly t-24:00:00.

10/15/09 departure 12:20
MDW-LAS
A35, A39, A40, A44, A47, A49, A50, A51, A52.

Something we both noticed - a new downgrade in the web site - is that if you're early there's no now indication of what the SWA clock is. The error message used to contain that information but now it no longer does; so you're completely in the dark and just have to take your best shot.

I, too, noticed that simply reloading the page with the check boxes didn't result in the "available document" changing from "security document" to "boarding pass" once the clock had struck time. Had to go back to the first screen and then go two steps to get a BP. Again, another change that makes it harder to get in exactly at T-24.

And of course it would be nice if I could just check in every ticket in the My Southwest listing with one click, but no, you need a unique window for each one.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
10/15 OAK-ONT
t-24 A-35
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:06 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by jtaft
Just checked a pile of family in for flights tomorrow. I was on my computer at work and at the same time my wife was attempting to check us in from the computer at home. Both of us with multiple windows open, clicking as fast as we could from exactly t-24:00:00.

10/15/09 departure 12:20
MDW-LAS
A35, A39, A40, A44, A47, A49, A50, A51, A52.

Something we both noticed - a new downgrade in the web site - is that if you're early there's no now indication of what the SWA clock is. The error message used to contain that information but now it no longer does; so you're completely in the dark and just have to take your best shot.

I, too, noticed that simply reloading the page with the check boxes didn't result in the "available document" changing from "security document" to "boarding pass" once the clock had struck time. Had to go back to the first screen and then go two steps to get a BP. Again, another change that makes it harder to get in exactly at T-24.

And of course it would be nice if I could just check in every ticket in the My Southwest listing with one click, but no, you need a unique window for each one.
Although the "timestamp" is still not there (non of our error messages are time stamped now), as of last night we have corrected the issue where Customers checking in a bit too early were getting Security Documents instead boarding passes.

We are back to giving you an error message that states the checkin is now within the 24 hour window . .. so, no more Texas Two Step due to a Security Doc instead of a Boarding Pass.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:23 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SWAVictor
Although the "timestamp" is still not there (non of our error messages are time stamped now), as of last night we have corrected the issue where Customers checking in a bit too early were getting Security Documents instead boarding passes.

We are back to giving you an error message that states the checkin is now within the 24 hour window . .. so, no more Texas Two Step due to a Security Doc instead of a Boarding Pass.
Thanks, Victor. Can someone please report here on success of the custom OLCI URL and F5 technique at the 24-hour point?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by DesertFlier
Regardless, if I end up in B boarding (have NEVER been below A40 on a WN flight ever), it will certainly end my travels with WN, as it would take an already PITA seating system into new lows that I can't be bothered to deal with.
Certainly you are entitled to take your business elsewhere. But I've had a B card on a few occasions (mostly due to memory lapse as you can checkin from cellphones now) and still gotten my aisle seat.

The EB program does not take the system to a "new low" - the whole idea is to reduce the hassle by having the system assign your seat automatically rather than requiring you to checkin exactly at the 24-hour mark. Yes, I'd prefer not to pay $10, but I have to balance that cost against the numerous other garbage fees required by other carriers, e.g. checked bags, B6 preferred seats, etc - and the total cost is still lower on WN.

The nice thing about FT is that you can follow the data points on this thread and the EB checkin thread to determine whether it makes sense to pay the extra $10. From what I've seen so far, most people who forego EB still end up in the A group, but there are probably certain flights (particularly hub connections) where it makes sense to use EB.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:42 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Boraxo
The EB program does not take the system to a "new low"
A new low would have to be worse than the days of plastic boarding cards, when you had to arrive at the gate an hour before the flight and stand in line for more than half an hour to get a good seat. How soon we forget...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.