Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest luv voucher expires in 3 days, any way to extend travel date?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Due to an emergency, I can no longer can travel on Aug 17th. Thus, I will potentially loose $67 of travel credit ($50 from luv voucher expiring on the 17th and $17 from my CC).

Is it right for WN to take away my CC payment of $17?
I understand the LUV voucher's have deadlines so it's my fault for not using it in time, but I don't get why I should also loose my partial CC payment of $17?

any way to get the CC payment back? And any possibility to extend the LUV voucher deadline?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 1:06 am

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
What are the fare rules of the ticket you purchased? I think the fare rules will control.

If it was a non-refundable ticket, I think you lose the $17 on your credit card. WN is pretty clear in their rules disclosing that new funds applied to old (expiring) funds acquire the date of the expiring funds.

If you purchased a refundable fare, I would think your $17 is refundable to the CC but you lose the LUV voucher value. That's only my opinion, I have no direct experience or knowledge with regard to this issue.

Why don't you go to the Cancel Air section of travel tools and walk thru a cancellation of the reservation (without actually clicking the cancel button at the end). There's a screen that should indicate what part (if any) of the funds are refundable. I just tested this with a CP reservation I have - the ticket was paid for with $2.30 from ticketless and gift card funds plus $0.20 from my credit card. The last screen where you confirm the cancellation showed the $0.20 was refundable, the other funds could only be held for future travel. Keep in mind, this was a CP reservation, security fee only which is refundable, so I would have expected the credit card amount to be refundable and it was. I think this brings your answer back to whether your ticket was refundable or non-refundable.

As for extending the expiration date of the LUV voucher, I don't believe they do. But even if they did this for a $50 fee, on a $50 voucher, there's no benefit. I think the lesson to be learned is a LUV voucher should be used as soon as possible after issue, there is only downside to holding it to near the end of its life span.

Last edited by Nevada1K; Aug 15, 2009 at 1:15 am Reason: Edited to expand on result after conducting test
Old Aug 15, 2009, 1:15 am
Original Poster

yea, i did what you said and $0 funds are refundable
Old Aug 15, 2009, 1:51 am

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Was the ticket non-refundable? If the ticket was non-refundable, your credit card payment would acquire the non-refundability of the fare and that is the implication of your second post.

If it was a refundable ticket, I would call Customer Service.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:17 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Call Customer Service on Monday and ask if they have any way around it, but I think you are stuck on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.