Search

Final Paper Timetable

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:03 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Final Paper Timetable

With apologies to Appletom, I wasn't able to give advance notice on this, but the final paper timetable is the current issue dated June 28, 2009. I did a blog post today that has some of the background.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: SWA RR
And I snagged one just last week as I went through the airport! Something about this thread made me think the end was near.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:23 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
As someone who always tries to have a paper timetable on hand and makes use of it, even I can say I'm all for this move as it seemed terribly inefficient and a waste of resources.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I'm flying with NW next Tuesday (sorry, city pair not served by SWA -- not even close). NW is on concourse C with SWA at Denver. I'll try to swing by and pick up the "last edition."

The new mobile.southwest.com really makes paper copies unnecessary. I always felt like I was wasting a lot of paper by taking one, but somehow, having one was "cool."
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: WN CP, A list+; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite
mobile.southwest.com is a nice tool, but it does not beat the speed of the good old fashioned paper timetable. I have had a flight cancelled and quickly referenced the schedule as I dialed SWA to make a change. Once I had to run to the gate to make the connection it was so close.

Must admit that it was the only time it was that close and I have been carrying a paper schedule with me for years. Does make me wonder how many trees that comfort cost.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Stock up, maybe we can sell them on E-Bay in 20 years.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by FCfree
I'm flying with NW next Tuesday (sorry, city pair not served by SWA -- not even close). NW is on concourse C with SWA at Denver. I'll try to swing by and pick up the "last edition."

The new mobile.southwest.com really makes paper copies unnecessary. I always felt like I was wasting a lot of paper by taking one, but somehow, having one was "cool."
only in the southwest forum would someone apologize for not flying the forum's airline!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
Not that this is going to happen, but didn't Southwest stop printing schedules a few years ago, and then start printing them again?

I realize this was years ago when the schedule was much smaller and were changed a lot more infrequently, and profits were a bit better.

I too liked the paper schedule, but after looking at the annual report printed on low end newspaper stock, I understand why they had to do this.

It's a shame they couldn't have found a way to put ads in it to offset the costs, but then again magazines are folding because they can't get ads. Things are tough all over.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by ctuttle
Not that this is going to happen, but didn't Southwest stop printing schedules a few years ago, and then start printing them again?
Yes. Discontinued in October 2004, and brought back the following January.

When I grabbed a timetable on Wednesday I was told that they were used by only 2% of revenue passengers.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:29 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Perhaps another method would be to do as Alaska Airlines has done, which is to offer a PDF timetable that can be printed:

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/flights/timetable.asp

It is 160 pages, though, so people who want them strictly for utility purposes will probably just print selected pages.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SWABrian
With apologies to Appletom, I wasn't able to give advance notice on this, but the final paper timetable is the current issue dated June 28, 2009. I did a blog post today that has some of the background.
Last I checked CX, SQ, JL and NH all had printed timetables. Believe it or not BA printed timetables appear in limited quantity at the LHR lounges once in a blue moon. I am sure there are a few other airlines out there as well. Anyway, nice piece on your blog ^
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by tjl
Perhaps another method would be to do as Alaska Airlines has done, which is to offer a PDF timetable that can be printed:
Southwest has a PDF timetable: http://www.southwest.com/cgi-bin/requestSchedule
You can request it for the whole system or just your home airport (to and from). A problem for some is that it's a new timetable for each schedule change, and some are for as little as one day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.