CLEAR closes

Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA
CLEAR closes

See article here http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/...-closes-lanes/
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I'm glad I got SWA A-list instead! A-list line is just as fast in Denver as the Clear used to be and I didn't pay $200 for it. Further, there was no Clear line in LAS.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Bummer Clear is done for. The Clear line in OAK on Monday mornings is WAY shorter than the Fly By Security Lane!

I guess I'll have to arrive more than 30min before my weekly 6:30a flight!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:23 am

Bummer.....

I agree - CLEAR was worth the $ for frequently flyers out of OAK. Does anyone know if there is a good place for info. on Flyertalk re: CLEAR's demise and what happens now (and will there be a replacement)? Looked quickly but missed it and I know it's out there. Thank you.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by FCfree
I'm glad I got SWA A-list instead! A-list line is just as fast in Denver as the Clear used to be and I didn't pay $200 for it. Further, there was no Clear line in LAS.
That's a big 10-4.

Fly-By is the way to go. For me, CLEAR would've been worth it (and may have survived) if I can breeze through without having to take my shoes off, remove my jacket, zip-lock my liquids/gels, and unpack my laptop.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by FCfree
A-list line is just as fast in Denver as the Clear used to be and I didn't pay $200 for it.
You paid far more than $200 for the fly-by lane.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:25 pm
cxn

Airports would be wise to charge a 'fee' to bypass the lines. I am one who is going to miss clear, esp after they started expanding to all the airports I fly!
Old Jun 27, 2009, 3:58 pm

I should have searched further before posting this in UA's discussion on CLEAR....

Titsup airport express lane biz may pawn flyer data if the feds Clear it

By Austin Modine

Posted in ID, 27th June 2009 05:07 GMT

HP US App Security & Quality Management - Jun - Aug 09 - 200905-4609

Defunct American airport security lane service Clear said on Friday it may sell its sensitive customer data to a similar provider if it's authorized to do so by the US government.

Before Monday, the Clear program promised to rush customers paying $200 per year through the diabolical gauntlet that is America's airport security checkpoints.

When Clear abruptly shut down operations, its quarter million customers that handed over private data like fingerprints, employment history, social security number, and credit information to get cutsies in line began wondering what happens to all the sensitive information. Government officials are also wondering.

In a statement on its website today, Verified Identity Pass, which runs Clear, said its airport kiosks are now being wiped clean of all data and software.

Computers that Verified Identity Pass assigned to its former employees are being wiped clean too, the company said.

But not all information is being deleted while Clear is read its last rites. The company adds that its customers' personally identifiable information could still be used by a similar provider, presumably if Clear's assets are sold later on.

"Any new service provider would need to maintain personally identifiable information in accordance with the Transportation Security Administration's privacy and security requirements for Registered Traveler programs," it stated. "If the information is not used for a Registered Traveler program, it will be deleted."

Clear says it's now "communicating" with the TSA, airports, and airline sponsors to ensure the security of the information and systems is maintained throughout the process.

The company said at the present time, Verified Identity Pass hasn't filed for bankruptcy. It blamed its abrupt end on failing to negotiate an agreement with its senior creditor and further affirmed it won't issue refunds to customers.

Clear said it will notify members in a "final email message" when the information is deleted. No mention if the same courtesy will be extended if they don't. ®
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by katy1579
I guess I'll have to arrive more than 30min before my weekly 6:30a flight!
The line yesterday morning was surprisingly short! I wonder where everyone is this week?!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by katy1579
The line yesterday morning was surprisingly short! I wonder where everyone is this week?!
Off for 4th of July????
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:24 pm

CLEAR always had 2 or more employees sitting at the line, which is funny considering how quickly people are supposed to move through there - how do you realistically cover that overhead @ 200 a head annually?

Despite what everyone says about Oakland...I fly out of there 4-6 times a month and never had an issue with a long wait in security. The concept of CLEAR is cool, I guess, but if anything a service like that should be implemented by TSA...similar to the "fly by" pass they have near border checkpoints in San Diego -> Orange County, etc. Frequent travelers are undoubtedly the lowest risk passengers out there.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Off for 4th of July????
Must have been! Lucky guys

Originally Posted by Mathren
The concept of CLEAR is cool, I guess, but if anything a service like that should be implemented by TSA...similar to the "fly by" pass they have near border checkpoints in San Diego -> Orange County, etc. Frequent travelers are undoubtedly the lowest risk passengers out there.
I completely agree. I had some issues with CLEAR but, in the end, I found that the Monday 6/630a flights made the security line a nightmare. Since my work paid for the membership, I went for it.

It always annoyed me a bit that to be "CLEAR" you gave very personal information but all you really got from it was to cut the line. Granted, I definitely went with it and gave my personal information but it seemed strange to me to market it as a as a service for "clear registered travelers" rather than some sort of line cutting service. Anyways - its over so it's not a big deal

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.