Wi-Fi

Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by Firewind
Profound indeed...
Sorry to disappoint. I tried to mangle "Celeste Aida" instead, but it just didn't work.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
Mr. Hawkins says over on Blogsouthwest that there are phones... Wasn't the stake driven into that idea at least for the foreseeable future?
He was referring to accessing the web through a WiFi-capable smartphone, not making phone calls.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Smile

Aaaaaahhhhh... Whew.

And, the juxtaposition of "profound" and "...hump my hump..." was just too good to waste. You wouldn't have.

I guess you didn't. Now that you put @28 in musical context, aaaaaahhhh...

Now, Aida, how could you mangle that...?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Anyone have any ideas when either of the planes will be at MDW?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
who will post speedtest.net upload/download speed results first?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
who will post speedtest.net upload/download speed results first?
I'll post 'em, but they're courtesy of our newly delurked friend, luvflyingswa. 2765 kb/s down, 185 kb/s up.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/408285807.png
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SWABrian
As promised, these are the flights to which N901WN with the Wi-Fi are assigned:

TODAY

Flight 20 HOU DAL LIT

Flight 860 LIT LAS LAX

Flight 159 LAS BUR OAK

TOMORROW

Flight 1147 OAK ONT PHX (departing OAK at 6:45 a.m. PT)

Flight 1791 PHX SAN OAK

Flight 291 OAK SNA PHX

Flight 209 PHX OAK

Flight 1442 OAK PHX

SWABrian,

Do you also have a schedule for N902 for tomorrow?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist

Just saw tail 901NW pull into the LAX terminal. Too bad it is one jetway from my flight Looks cool though!!!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
So, any ideas on how long this will be free and what the cost will be for access?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:55 pm

Access will be free throughout the test period. Cost after that has yet to be announced other than Gary Kelly's statement that it will be LCC-like.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Access will be free throughout the test period. Cost after that has yet to be announced other than Gary Kelly's statement that it will be LCC-like.
Fee-free access to southwest.com (including ding.southwest.com and blogsouthwest.com) would be a nice touch. If they want to go nuts, add free access to flyertalk.com. @:-)
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:50 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Perhaps as important as the pricing, what will the life of the "pass" be? Will you have to pay up again on your connecting leg? What about the second part of a direct flight? Return portion of an out-and-back day trip?

Any technical reason why the system has to be shut off on the ground? Assuming your pass is good for more than one leg, losing access in between legs is going to be frustrating during regular ops and efficient connections. (Plus it would be more efficient to get your computer configured for access (and make sure it is working) while sitting in the boarding area.) Paying for access and not having it is going to be maddening when you get one of those three hour connections in an airport without free Wi-Fi, irregular ops, or you are stuck in the plane on the ground for an extended period of time. (Will FAs be able to comp the "first round" of Wi-Fi?)
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by ftnoob

Any technical reason why the system has to be shut off on the ground? Assuming your pass is good for more than one leg, losing access in between legs is going to be frustrating during regular ops and efficient connections. (Plus it would be more efficient to get your computer configured for access (and make sure it is working) while sitting in the boarding area.) Paying for access and not having it is going to be maddening when you get one of those three hour connections in an airport without free Wi-Fi, irregular ops, or you are stuck in the plane on the ground for an extended period of time. (Will FAs be able to comp the "first round" of Wi-Fi?)
This is JUST a guess:

As hard as it already is to get people to turn off their phones (it's way too much of a fight), I can't even imagine trying to get someone to turn off their laptops for departure if we had internet turned on. Productivity only goes so far within the confines of safety, efficiency for the airline and trying to achieve compliance on the part of the passenger.

As for our abilities to comp etc. We don't have any details at all. We don't know pricing, we don't know anything at all other than this is the testing phase and during the testing phase it will be complimentary. I can't imagine they'd have you pay for the service beforehand (before knowing it works). I would think you'd sign-on, and pay yourself.... like at a hotel, but this is JUST A GUESS!!!!!! This way the crew doesn't have to juggle handing out a passcode, dealing with failed CC-swipes, refunds for technical problems etc.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:42 pm

I agree and understand the turn off compliance issue. I was thinking the system could be turned off at 10,000 feet and turned back on at the gate.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:48 pm

Going on a tangent: will the prohibition against using a wireless mouse or joystick be maintained? How does a wireless mouse cause more interference than all those busy Wi-Fi adapters?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.