Search

Making Sure I undestand RR...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A List, CP, Hertz Gold, Mich Season Tkt, HH Diamond
Making Sure I undestand RR...

Hello everyone!

I'm kind of new to RR. I live in BWI and I charge between 100K and 125K a year on my CC. I take about 18 trips a year. I think I've chosen RR as my carrior/frequent flyer program of choice. Mainly because it seems to be the best, but also because WN has a hub in BWI. Given that most of my points/miles are on the CC, I can use whatever carrier I like. Alot of trips I take I can't use WN cuz they don't fly where I'm going or I'm flying to Mexico, etc. So, my frequent flyer miles get spread over many carriers.

First question is... Am I making the right choice? (probably should post this in the main forum instead of the WN forum)

Second question is, am I correct in this formula of RR?

Say I fly round trip to point A from BWI.

I get 2 credits for this.

Then assume I use my RR visa and the round trip cost me $600. I then get 1/2 credit.

Then since I used my RR visa to purchase WN tickets, I get double points, so I get another 1/2 credit for a total of 3 credits. Is this correct?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by NeilGoBlue
Second question is, am I correct in this formula of RR?

Say I fly round trip to point A from BWI.

I get 2 credits for this.

Then assume I use my RR visa and the round trip cost me $600. I then get 1/2 credit.

Then since I used my RR visa to purchase WN tickets, I get double points, so I get another 1/2 credit for a total of 3 credits. Is this correct?
Mostly correct. You do not actually get 1/2 credit for spending the $600. You will get one full credit when your total point balance is $1200. In this specific case, it amounts to the same thing - spending $600 on your RR Visa on a WN purchase is the equivalent of spending $1200 on your RR Visa on a non-WN purchase.

In the general case, however, you do not get 1/2 credit for every $600 spent. You get 1 full credit for every $1200 spent. The difference might seem semantic, but if you have 15.5 credits in your account, and are expecting to get another 1/2 credit by spending $600, you'll end up disappointed.

Also, please note that the credits from RR Visa post to your Southwest account upon your Visa's statement closing date, not the time you actually spend $1200.

Hope that helps,
Paul Lalli
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Gotcha.. thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
One other note - $100K on the WN Visa plus 18 trips per year will put you well over 100 credits per year - qualifying you for the Companion Pass. Make sure you view some recent threads here on FlyerTalk for clarifications about exactly how this program works.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Yep..(but not all 18 are on southwest..)

I think I'll get he companion pass with no problem... but now that it's in my sights.. I hate waiting for it..
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:04 am

Programs: Hilton (D)
Since you live in BWI, can you tell me which sink is best for bathing ?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Keep in mind that a Companion Pass doesn't give you anything special! It does give a seat, but don't board before your Companion. Saving a seat on WN can be a sport in it's self! Caution, I sent mt back! FA alert!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by loboclone
Keep in mind that a Companion Pass doesn't give you anything special!
EXCUSE ME! A companion pass, something that no other airline has for anything close to what WN requires, saves people huge amounts of money. As far as I am concerned, your complaints about the companion pass are baseless.

Please flame away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.