Wiki Posts
Search

Family Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
Family Challenge

I am a DL 2.5 million miler at Delta and collected almost every benefit they have had. Recently I took a job in Dallas with the intent of commuting back to TPA every week. I took this job late last year after I had passed my 2009 DL Platinum re-qualification so my kids kept on me- try SWA out of Love and avoid ATL in the winter months. "SWA is great they said-you will love it"

So I did. Bought 6 RT business class tickets (12 segments) and gave it a fair try over 10 weeks. Well, flew last one over new years with the results of out of 12 segs 9 were an hour or more late -not weather but maintaince issues or problems. Well game over, nice try but hello 2009, Delta and Atlanta.

Sincerely wished it had worked. I am certain in my mind that SWA is no better or worse that DL, NWA, AA or anyone else. I will keep my status and 25 years of goodwill I have built at Delta.

Last edited by curbcrusher; Jan 2, 2009 at 11:54 am Reason: fixed misspelling for searchability
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by misty1tk
Bought 6 RT business class tickets (12 segments) and gave it a fair try over 10 weeks. Well, flew last one over new years with the results of out of 12 segs 9 were an hour or more late -not weather but maintaince issues or problems.
If I were trying a new airline and 9 out of my first 12 segments were an hour or more late due to maintenance issues I'd ditch them also. That being said I flew approx 50 WN segments in 2008 and I can recall only one segment being more than 20 minutes late - it was about 2 hours late - and I'm not even sure that that one was a maintenance issue as it may have been a weather or ATC delay. Maybe I was unusually lucky.

You mentioned that you bought "business class tickets", since WN doesn't have a Business Class I'm assuming you mean Business Select?

PS: Hands down the #1 reason that I'm a loyal WN fan is because with Ticketless Travel Funds there's essentially no such thing as a non-refundable ticket or a change fee. By far the most customer-friendly ticket policy in the industry.

Last edited by yanxfann; Jan 2, 2009 at 9:22 am
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:08 am

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
I am a DL 2.5 million miler at Delta and collected almost every benefit they have had. Recently I took a job in Dallas with the intent of commuting back to TPA every week. I took this job late last year after I had passed my 2009 DL Platinum re-qualification so my kids kept on me- try SWA out of Love and avoid ATL in the winter months. "SWA is great they said-you will love it"

So I did. Bought 6 RT business class tickets (12 segments) and gave it a fair try over 10 weeks. Well, flew last one over new years with the results of out of 12 segs 9 were an hour or more late -not weather but maintaince issues or problems. Well game over, nice try but hello 2009, Delta and Atlanta.

Sincerely wished it had worked. I am certain in my mind that SWA is no better or worse that DL, NWA, AA or anyone else. I will keep my status and 25 years of goodwill I have built at Delta.
Interesting comments, my DL past is just what you describe with WN. After 64 segments on WN in 2008 I have had delays. Not many but they will happen, UA and DL have left me overnight stranded in '08 and 07. I have had one cancelation in '07 and none in '08 on WN. Better schedule where I fly than DL and better pricing. I will stay with WN for '09.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Hmm interesting. One reason I switched from UAL to WN is because WN's delays were far far less frequent than UAL, and even US when I was doing side by side comparisons.

I consider WN's service to be like a bus, frequently on time, and rarely delayed much. Your experience is pretty rare, I would have to say.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:46 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
How exactly are you defining "problems" that caused your flights to be delayed? Given all that's gone on in the past 10 weeks weather wise, it's very easy to believe that 75% of your trips were delayed, but it's very difficult to believe that none of them were due to weather, even if it was not weather in a city you were traveling to, from, or through (which is always a problem with any airline).
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum;Delta 2MM;Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite;Hertz 5*
Yanxfann- yes business select, six of those puppies at $630 a copy RT.

Beckles- We were told of the nature of the delays and none were weather. That is why I tried them because of their roure structure.. One was a complete plane change- 2hrs to come up with a new one. That was the worse delay. A lot of times they were really benind by the time they got to Love. All were planes operating out of the Southwest however.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Yanxfann- yes business select, six of those puppies at $630 a copy RT.

Beckles- We were told of the nature of the delays and none were weather. That is why I tried them because of their roure structure.. One was a complete plane change- 2hrs to come up with a new one. That was the worse delay. A lot of times they were really benind by the time they got to Love. All were planes operating out of the Southwest however.
Can you post the date / flight #'s so we can have Brian / Victor look at the real reasons, rather than what you may have been told?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Can you post the date / flight #'s so we can have Brian / Victor look at the real reasons, rather than what you may have been told?
rofl, would love to see this happen. But like most already suspect, he's probably full of it.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, WN CP
Midway is my home airport, and even with the unusual weather the last few weeks, I only had a handful of delays all year, and I flew approximately 150 segments. Something doesn't add up with this story.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 12:07 am

Misty,

First off, I'll say I am one of the rare posters who am in the game for necesity, I don't chase points/miles like I did ten years ago.

To the point: Do whats best for Misty, if you had a bad run of luck with WN then stick with what you are comfortable with, in this case DL.

Personally spoeaking I was a UA 1K for several years, defected to AS spent a few as an MVP GOLD and then gave up the game.

Today, I fly the most convienent airline, often it's WN, it takes some getting used to but, when you consider the value: Time, Money, Convienence and service. I'd say WN has been the best.

to each his own though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.