Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel within 24 hours of purchase - refundable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Gold

No luck in a search on southwest.com or the Wiki. If you cancel a restricted fare reservation on some (?) legacy airlines within 24 hours of purchase, I understood it could be refunded. Can't see the same benefit listed for Southwest.

Is this one of those unavoidable tradeoffs? Or an unpublished thing?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: WN CP
Yes. You can cancel without penalty within 24 hours of booking provided the purchase was not made with TTFs.

Last edited by curbcrusher; Dec 18, 2008 at 3:55 pm
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Good info. I had to cancel before because I made a boo boo. Called in - no problem. This should be added to the wiki.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Gold
Thx. I should have been more precise. I mixed in 10% of TTF, expiring in April, into a new Wanna Get Away reservation. Then cancelled within 24 hours. Has that small amount of TTF locked the status into non-refundable?

I would normally just use the new larger amount of TTF before April, but my traveling job just evaporated and I'm not likely to travel for pleasure before April.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Thx. I should have been more precise. I mixed in 10% of TTF, expiring in April, into a new Wanna Get Away reservation. Then cancelled within 24 hours. Has that small amount of TTF locked the status into non-refundable?
I don't recall the answer from personal experience, but it looks like the entire amount is now non-refundable.
Originally Posted by expert7700
a tainted/mixed reservation cancelled within 24 hours of booking, will have a 'refund all $ to credit card' option (and it will SAY thank you-a refund request for x.xx has been sent), but you will NOT receive any credit to your card.
I'm sorry about your job evaporation.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 4:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Good info. I had to cancel before because I made a boo boo. Called in - no problem. This should be added to the wiki.
It's been there for ages:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...reservation.3F
Old Dec 18, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
OK. I just took one for the team. I made a non-refundable purchase and made part of the purchase with TTF. I then canceled the flight. ( actually the fare was only $9.00 more than the TTF I used so this isn't a big deal ) . They will not refund any of the money. My new TTF on the new PNR is for the full amount of that canceled ticket.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Yes. You can cancel without penalty within 24 hours of booking provided the purchase was not made with TTFs.
Huh. I never knew that. I thought non-refundable meant, well, non-refundable. Can you do that on the website, or do you have to call?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by mritty
Huh. I never knew that. I thought non-refundable meant, well, non-refundable. Can you do that on the website, or do you have to call?
Either way will work. Just be sure to request the refund when you cancel.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
The majority of airlines ( US AIR excluded ) allow you to cancel a non-refundable and receive a refund within 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.