Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN introduces Veterans Select this Veterans Day

Old Nov 11, 08, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...icle898413.ece
Veterans and other military personnel will move to the front of the line on Southwest Airlines today to honor them on Veterans Day.

Everyone with a military ID will be in the first group to board and get off each Southwest flight, even ahead of the airline's Business Select customers who pay a premium fare to get on the plane first.

Southwest employees have done the salute on Veterans Day at different airports, but this is the first year the airline will do it throughout the system.
^

Another mention:

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal...-southwe-3248/
Old Nov 11, 08, 7:36 am

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Kudos to Southwest for honoring our armed forces.....and thank you to the men and women who have served our country past and present!
Old Nov 11, 08, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G (via AX Plt), MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Bravo!

I can see a (very) small # of Business Select customers not being happy with this, but I am glad that Southwest does so much to recognize our veterans.
Old Nov 11, 08, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL View Post
I can see a (very) small # of Business Select customers not being happy with this
A slight boarding position displacement pales in comparison to the sacrifices of those who have served or are serving. I trust that affected Business Select customers are mature enough to realize that, and if not, that other customers will gently persuade them.
Old Nov 11, 08, 8:15 am

The post that previously appeared in this space has been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 08 at 6:50 am
Old Nov 11, 08, 8:42 am

Programs: SWA RR
I completely and absolutely disagree with uncertaintraveler's post directly below mine.
Old Nov 11, 08, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler View Post

As for those who have served due to a draft (i.e., involuntarily), okay, perhaps such individuals should receive some type of thanks on a yearly basis.

As for those who voluntarily serve....well, sorry, but you chose your job/career/profession and I'm a little tired of hearing about the "sacrifices" that they voluntarily accepted and how other people are supposed to (or should) repeatedly (but at least annually) show/say "thanks" for doing something that they voluntarily chose to do.

Otherwise, where is the show of appreciation for firefighters, teachers, and other such individuals who make sacrifices for the (hopeful) betterment of society? Does Southwest have a Firefighter Select Day? A Teacher Select Day? A Hey-Every-American-Is-Suffering Select Day?
I think the proverbial can of worms has been opened.

What about the WWII vets that saw the world falling apart and took the initiative and volunteered to join the military, many of whom eventually stormed the beaches of Normandy and Iwo Jima? Personally I do say "thanks" for doing something that they voluntarily chose to do. What about someone like Pat Tillman who gave up a lucrative NFL career to volunteer after 9/11, if he were still alive today I'd say thanks for doing something he volunteered to do.

PS: I'm a vet, I spent most of 2003 sleeping in a tent in the desert and flew several dozen missions into Iraq and Afghanistan and am currently scheduled to return to Afghanistan this spring. By chance I flew on an early morning WN flight today, I thought it was a nice gesture when they offered vets the opportunity to go to the head of the line (I didn't go as I was A-19 anyway).
Old Nov 11, 08, 8:55 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
This thread can go OMNI quick.

While I think those who volunteer for the military are doing the country a service, I also agree that it seems firefighters, police, and so on, that also do a huge service for our country often at great personal risk seem to be left relatively in the dark.

Still a nice idea from Southwest to celebrate Veterans Day.
Old Nov 11, 08, 10:04 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Kudos to Southwest. I am of the opinion that they should do this (particularly for those on active duty) all the time.

One of the few things that bothers me about flying Southwest more often is (in this situation only) the lack of upgrades. When flying alone on a legacy on which I have status, I make it a point to scan the boarding area for anyone in uniform. Lowest rank gets a trip to the podium and if it's possible, upgraded.

I don't know of any way to emulate that on Southwest.
Old Nov 11, 08, 10:19 am

Programs: SWA
Originally Posted by ClueByFour View Post
Kudos to Southwest. I am of the opinion that they should do this (particularly for those on active duty) all the time.

One of the few things that bothers me about flying Southwest more often is (in this situation only) the lack of upgrades. When flying alone on a legacy on which I have status, I make it a point to scan the boarding area for anyone in uniform. Lowest rank gets a trip to the podium and if it's possible, upgraded.

I don't know of any way to emulate that on Southwest.
I try to use my drink coupons up on service personnel when possible.
Old Nov 11, 08, 10:44 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
This thread can go OMNI quick.
It would if the posters here were not a cut above. People here know how to exercise restraint. You are the main reason we don't have flame wars on this forum. Thanks for keeping your cool.

A month or two ago the FAs announced that a Marine was returning home from Iraq to see his daughter for the first time. Everyone applauded. That's what the public thinks about honoring military service. (Soldiers certainly aren't in it for the sub-minimum wage pay!)
Old Nov 11, 08, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
...A month or two ago the FAs announced that a Marine was returning home from Iraq to see his daughter for the first time. Everyone applauded. That's what the public thinks about honoring military service. (Soldiers certainly aren't in it for the sub-minimum wage pay!)
Last month, landing in LAS, as we taxied to the gate, the FA announced that we had a serviceman returning home from Iraq, and requested he be allowed to exit the plane first. He must have been seated in the last row, and on his LONG walk up the aisle, the entire plane stood and applauded. As he walked by me, I noticed that he was a little embarrassed by all this attention and applause. No one on that plane had a problem with waiting for him to deplane first.
Old Nov 11, 08, 11:22 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by ClueByFour View Post
I applaud WN for giving our military members special recognition on this day.

However, I do not think it would be appropriate to do this all the time. As a couple of previous posters so effectively noted, they chose that profession. Is a long-haul trucker who spends days/weeks away from family so our groceries are delivered less noble?
Old Nov 11, 08, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrpaguia View Post
Is a long-haul trucker who spends days/weeks away from family so our groceries are delivered less noble?
I disagree that long-haul trucking, teaching or firefighting can honestly be considered equivalent to defense of our nation.
Old Nov 11, 08, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by jrpaguia View Post
I applaud WN for giving our military members special recognition on this day.

However, I do not think it would be appropriate to do this all the time. As a couple of previous posters so effectively noted, they chose that profession. Is a long-haul trucker who spends days/weeks away from family so our groceries are delivered less noble?
YES!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: