Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN introduces Veterans Select this Veterans Day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN introduces Veterans Select this Veterans Day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thumbs up Bravo, Southwest

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Kudos to Southwest. I am of the opinion that they should do this (particularly for those on active duty) all the time.

One of the few things that bothers me about flying Southwest more often is (in this situation only) the lack of upgrades. When flying alone on a legacy on which I have status, I make it a point to scan the boarding area for anyone in uniform. Lowest rank gets a trip to the podium and if it's possible, upgraded.

I don't know of any way to emulate that on Southwest.
:-::-::-::-::-:

I agree with all your points here, and was looking to post your first paragraph in this thread. (I'm glad you have first, in part, because I'm sure I have the reputation of never being satisfied with Southwest.)

Anyway, doing it today does tend to raise expectations. When the new paradigm began, I saw instances at MDW where Southwest GAs moved service personnel into the BS slots (not on Armistice Day). I brought it up here, was asked about it, and never saw it happen again. I believe that Southwest deliberately stopped it as an ongoing practice.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...497&highlight=

To your second point, I read recently somewhere in FlyerTalk that there is a DOD-wide directive that Service personnel are not allowed to fly in First or Business in uniform, so as to avoid the possible appearance of wasting money. I know I saw it, but can't remember where. ClueByFour, have you had different experience?

If Southwest were to change its policy and make it an ongoing practice, it would be a truly unique Southwest perk that would not violate military policy. There seems to be wisdom in that... a WN WN, so to speak.** Moreover, I wonder if this thread could be a place to start?

** As an analogy, per a thread over on the UA board, United just sent out an email introducing a policy of boarding Premier Executives ahead of Boarding Group 1 - starting today, coincidentally - heralded as a true enhancement that doesn't cost UA anything. The suggestion above would also be a no-cost enhancement.

Last edited by Firewind; Nov 11, 2008 at 1:40 pm Reason: no edit
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I disagree that long-haul trucking, teaching or firefighting can honestly be considered equivalent to defense of our nation.
Let's just agree to disagree.

My point is that we all need to eat, our children need to learn how to read, and unfortunately, fires do occurr. I'm not so sure that what our troops are currently deployed for is actually in defense of our nation.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I disagree that long-haul trucking, teaching or firefighting can honestly be considered equivalent to defense of our nation.
And I must respectfully disagree with you in the strongest terms regarding firefighting. I apologize if this sounds like a koolaid-inspired response.

EDIT: And this is not to argue for priority for firefighters, except when an airline is participating in an airlift to get them into position in a crisis.

Last edited by Firewind; Nov 11, 2008 at 1:21 pm
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:44 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by Firewind
To your second point, I read recently somewhere in FlyerTalk that there is a DOD-wide directive that Service personnel are not allowed to fly in First or Business in uniform, so as to avoid the possible appearance of wasting money. I know I saw it, but can't remember where. ClueByFour, have you had different experience?
I have had a serviceman decline an upgrade once. Light-bird, USMC (and frankly, coming from a family of jarheads, I firmly believe it's because he'd feel uncomfortable eating his lunch of broken glass and nails in front of the wussies up front ). Other than that, I once had a gate agent from US insinuate the same thing (DOD can't take an upgrade), so I told her to upgrade the corporal and ensure he was the last one on the plane before the door closed. He was fine with that, and everyone came away happy.

I believe DOD got it's hand slapped by the GAO in 2003 or 2004 about paid FC travel. However, if you look here, it seems that the issue is if it's paid for by the government. Frankly, I'd be a bit pissed if an E-4 or lower had to decline an upgrade to a nice seat and an extra drink (at no cost to them or Uncle Sugar) because some REMFs messed it up for everyone by buying FC tickets.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I've been on a few Southwest flights where there have been special announcements and/or they asked people to wait for military personnel (typically when there's a larger group). Most of the time they seem embarrassed with the attention. I think this treatment is fine as an occasional thing. If it happened every flight as Southwest policy... eh. Like others I will choose to (respectfully) disagree. But we don't agree on all changes to Rapid Rewards, etc, so why should this be any different!
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:47 pm

FWIW, heres the link re UA's new procedure...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...7#post10718737

OT: Interesting that comment #76 (deniah) uses the term "micro-segregation" for their evolving boarding process, as UA moves toward Southwest's model...........
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP
Not everyone got the memo. I dropped off my wife's uncle, an Army veteran, this morning for a flight, and he reports that there was no mention of this prior to boarding or in flight.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:46 pm

Programs: SWA
Not everyone got the memo. I dropped off my wife's uncle, an Army veteran, this morning for a flight, and he reports that there was no mention of this prior to boarding or in flight.
Maybe he did not use a military ID?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by irabk
I'm thinking there are more veterans than those with military ID, including those long out of the military. So, in order to work, this would have to be by invitation -- I mean initiated by the GAs.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Like EVERY airline, WN depends on its employees and managers to be AWARE of the policies. Like EVERY airline, WN has its good and bad apples who don't read the morning's news. Sorry to hear that your wife's uncle was NOT properly recognized. Hopefully, curbcrusher will let insiders know that the policy was NOT consistently executed.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Avis Presidents Club, Life Member VFW Post 10029
I thank SouthWest Airlines for recognizing the men and women who have served and continue to serve, keeping our country free and allowing people to express their opinions, whether I agree with them or not. These people did not join to receive special treatment in boarding a plane, they joined the military for many other reasons, but it is nice to have someone recognize them from time to time, it makes a long journey packed onboard a plane just a little bit better.
As a veteran retired from the military, yes, I decided to join the military, I did it because I wanted to, and after serving enough years, I decided that retirement before I was 40 was a pretty good deal. I now teach 8th grade at risk students, but I would not trade anything for the experiences that I had in those 20 years in the Navy.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:24 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, lots of points, & timeshares I got for free. To talk travel deals, PM me!
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...icle898413.ece
Everyone with a military ID will be in the first group to board and get off each Southwest flight, even ahead of the airline's Business Select customers who pay a premium fare to get on the plane first.
This is a nice gesture by Southwest.

However, I don't get the part about veterans being the first to get off each flight. Does Southwest just mean that, since veterans will be the first ones on, they can chose to sit at the front of the plane, making it easy for them to get off the plane? The way it's written, it sounds as if other pax were asked to remain on board until the veterans disembarked -- that would be difficult if a veteran was sitting in a window seat and non-veterans had the middle and aisle seats!
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by JudyS
The way it's written, it sounds as if other pax were asked to remain on board until the veterans disembarked -- that would be difficult if a veteran was sitting in a window seat and non-veterans had the middle and aisle seats!
It means exactly what it says, which is what irabk reported upthread:
Last month, landing in LAS, as we taxied to the gate, the FA announced that we had a serviceman returning home from Iraq, and requested he be allowed to exit the plane first. He must have been seated in the last row, and on his LONG walk up the aisle, the entire plane stood and applauded. As he walked by me, I noticed that he was a little embarrassed by all this attention and applause. No one on that plane had a problem with waiting for him to deplane first.
Your situation requires only that everyone else remain seated unless they need to move for a veteran or service member.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Firewind
I'm thinking there are more veterans than those with military ID, including those long out of the military. So, in order to work, this would have to be by invitation -- I mean initiated by the GAs.
I also missed out on this event yesterday on my flight. I didn't see or hear about before-hand (but I wasn't really looking for anything either).

I agree they would have had to ask each person in order to truly catch us all. There are many vets and current military who do not look like a stereotypical service member. While I always carry my military ID, I use my driver's license as my default form of identification.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:05 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by JudyS
However, I don't get the part about veterans being the first to get off each flight.
The Marine I described sat near the front but was one of the last people off. You wouldn't think these guys could feel fear, but he had serious jitters about seeing his wife and baby after all that time away!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.