Wiki Posts
Search

Does Southwest ever plan to fly to NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Does Southwest ever plan to fly to NYC?

Is there any specific reason why SW has ignored NYC for so long? (Islip is really not NYC) I just hate paying the change fees each time I need to change anything. SW is just so much better when plans are fluid.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Same reason they won't go to ATL, at least for now. Too much of a chance for crowded airspace/ramp space to create downline delays.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Is there any specific reason why SW has ignored NYC for so long? (Islip is really not NYC) I just hate paying the change fees each time I need to change anything. SW is just so much better when plans are fluid.
Absolutely not. I don't think they are not letting into NYC restrictions in between LGA, EWR or JFK. Because it was too much more congestions due to NYC traffic controls. I don't think WN are not entrance into NYC for a long time. Instead, WN is already existing service to ISP. It was much closer to NYC. It was 1 hour ride by the car from ISP to NYC.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Same reason they won't go to ATL, at least for now. Too much of a chance for crowded airspace/ramp space to create downline delays.
They won't. Because it was too many overcrowded in ATL. It will be longer delayed due to ATL control center. I knows ATL has already existing more flights both FL & DL, too. I don't think WN aren't on the lists for a long time. Hopefully if WN will considered service to SAV anytime soon. I think it is much more convenient to SAV will expanded new routes from SAV-PHX, FLL, MCO, LAS, MDW or whatever.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:16 am

Programs: SWA RR
With the auctioning of slots at the NYC airports, do any of you think SW may try to initiate service there?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 6:37 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by wnflyer
With the auctioning of slots at the NYC airports, do any of you think SW may try to initiate service there?
The plan to auction off slots is still highly controversial, the GAO said it was illegal but the FAA is planning to move forward, but I wouldn't be shocked if the ATA sued.

If it goes through, I think only a couple of EWR slots are being auctioned, which probably isn't enough for a sizable operation.

Though one of my friends joked to me that when AA announced its LGA cuts there was probably an emergency meeting at Love Field.

Last edited by dwebb; Oct 11, 2008 at 8:55 am
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:02 am

Programs: SWA RR
IMO, with the auctioning of slots and the demise of the "shuttle" service to Boston, Philly, DC, etc. there are bound to be some openings coming in...doubt those other airlines would be willing to lease their slots to the good ole SWA.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I wish they would fly into city. I have to go there in a couple of weeks and will be flying into Islip and having to commute into city. What is best method for getting from Islip to city?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by bnaboy
I wish they would fly into city. I have to go there in a couple of weeks and will be flying into Islip and having to commute into city. What is best method for getting from Islip to city?
The LIRR suits most people just fine. Depending on your circumstances, a taxi or limo might work better. I don't recall any discussion on this recently, but a one-way car rental might also be an option for you.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by bnaboy
I've never done it, but I guess you could try the LIRR. The stop is Ronkonkoma, and there should be shuttles/taxis to take you there.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
The LIRR suits most people just fine. Depending on your circumstances, a taxi or limo might work better. I don't recall any discussion on this recently, but a one-way car rental might also be an option for you.
Thank you

LIRR looks like the ticket
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by dwebb
I've never done it, but I guess you could try the LIRR. The stop is Ronkonkoma, and there should be shuttles/taxis to take you there.
Oh well, curb beat me to it.

Last edited by dwebb; Oct 12, 2008 at 7:41 am
Old Oct 12, 2008, 4:21 pm

Note that if you arrive during p.m. rush hour, there's a lack of Manhattan-bound trains: none between 4.48 and 7.13.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.