Wiki Posts
Search

Stay on the plane for a direct flight?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Stay on the plane for a direct flight?

Hi sorry for the novice question...but I am scheduled to take Southwest 644 which goes MHT-LAS-LAX-SFO. I am starting in MHT and ending in SFO, so I am in for the whole ride.

My question is...do I have to get off the plane in LAS or LAX? Or can I stay on all the way from beginning to end?
Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:42 am

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
Originally Posted by mrkymark
Hi sorry for the novice question...but I am scheduled to take Southwest 644 which goes MHT-LAS-LAX-SFO. I am starting in MHT and ending in SFO, so I am in for the whole ride.

My question is...do I have to get off the plane in LAS or LAX? Or can I stay on all the way from beginning to end?

You can stay on usually.

After that many legs though, wouldn't you want to get out for a minute or two to walk around maybe get something to eat?
Old Sep 1, 2008, 2:51 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
After that many legs though, wouldn't you want to get out for a minute or two to walk around maybe get something to eat?
Too bad neither airport has good food options. Of the two, LAX is probably the better one to get off and grab some chow. There's a food court right by gate 3.

Just mention it to the operations agent who is at the front of the plane that you're going to get off and grab something to eat. I've had flights arrive super early where they take their time boarding the plane. The ops agent just checks your name off the roster when you come back.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:02 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Every WN flight I have taken has been non-stop, so I do not know the answer to this question. I am sure the OP would want to know how to save his seat when he gets off or does he loose it?
Old Sep 1, 2008, 7:55 am

No, you don't have to get off the plane if you don't want to.

You wouldn't really have much time in the terminal anyway (if your flights are on time) because you have to stay on the plane at the intermediate stop until all of the local passengers have deplaned and the F/A comes through the cabin counting all the through passengers.

I flew OAK-ONT-LAS-ELP-AUS once. That was the only 3-stop direct flight I've ever been on and I kind of enjoyed it. On my flights, after the F/A had done the through count, I'd just get up and stand in the aisle to stretch my legs, use the lav, and chat for a few minutes with some of the other through-passengers. Plus, if you didn't get the seat you wanted on the first leg, you can change seats at the intermediate stop after the F/A has done the through-count.

Originally Posted by lougord99
Every WN flight I have taken has been non-stop, so I do not know the answer to this question. I am sure the OP would want to know how to save his seat when he gets off or does he loose it?
Years ago (before the Wright Amendment restrictions were relaxed) I was on a AUS-DAL flight. The aircraft had originated in California (SMF, I think) then stopped in either LAS or PHX before continuing on to AUS, where the flight# terminated.

When I boarded in AUS, there was no one sitting in my "favorite" seat at the back, but someone's carry-ons were underneath the seat in front of it. When I asked the F/A whose bags those were she said a lady and her daughter had boarded in SMF and were doing the Texas Two-Step going on to DAL, and had to get off to be issued new boarding passes for the AUS-DAL flight. (This was back in the days when WN still used the plastic boarding passes.)

I took another seat and the lady and her daughter were one of the last passengers to board at AUS, but they still got their original seats back.

That was years ago, though, and today, if you choose to leave a carry-on underneath the seat to "save" you seat, I don't know if the F/A will still watch it for you.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 8:15 am

Generally speaking there's not enough time to leave the aircraft. Our turn times are scheduled at 25-30 mins which is just enough time to deplane, count thrus, clean the cabin, be catered, fueled, re-board and GO!

Rarely when we arrive early OPS will let pax off for a few minutes. If you absolutely have to get off just ask the Operations Agent as they are the Ground Security Coordinator and need to know of anyone who chooses to deplane.

My best advice would be to bring food. FA's are no longer permitted to leave the aircraft (VERY rarely can we step-off) so I bring energy bars, dried fruit, nuts, apples etc. It's not a hot meal but it serves it's purpose.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Thanks peeps, awesome responses, this forum is awesome...

Follow up questions then...

1. Can I leave my carry on stuff on board as I quickly make a dash to the McDonalds outside the gate for food? (and return in a flash)

2. If so how do I "save" my seat like lougord99 mentioned. I know lonestar described it but that was a few years ago.

3. When I reboard do I have to wait in A,B,C?

4. I'll bring CABNcrew a BigMac if they want one : )

Thanks in advance peeps.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
1. No, so bring something easy like a backpack and laptop case and leave the roll-on checked in you intend to get off at all.

2. You technically can't.

3. If they make you get off for some reason (like they have to change planes for some reason) then you show ID and board before everyone else. If you ask to get off, make sure you ask about how to get back on - i'd suspect no one outside the plane is going to expect it unless they have everyone get off.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Thanks peeps, awesome responses, this forum is awesome...

Follow up questions then...

1. Can I leave my carry on stuff on board as I quickly make a dash to the McDonalds outside the gate for food? (and return in a flash)
yes, and use it do #2...just notify the FA and GA

2. If so how do I "save" my seat like lougord99 mentioned. I know lonestar described it but that was a few years ago.
set some magazines or something in the seat...put the tray table down...about a year ago, we had a delay at a stop, so we got off the plane, and i left magazines in the seat. i was the last one to board, and still had my exit row window.

3. When I reboard do I have to wait in A,B,C?
nope, just tell the GA you're getting back on

i'm sure he/she wouldn't mind if you ask!
Old Sep 1, 2008, 5:55 pm

Thanks in advance peeps.
Thanks mrkymark : )

Generally when we're early and if you get off of the aircraft you can leave your things in your seat. Obviously we can't be held liable for it, but with so many people around and the FA's remaining onboard I've never felt the need to worry much about it myself.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Originally Posted by CABNcrew
Thanks mrkymark : )

Generally when we're early and if you get off of the aircraft you can leave your things in your seat. Obviously we can't be held liable for it, but with so many people around and the FA's remaining onboard I've never felt the need to worry much about it myself.

Enjoy your trip!
I just wanted to chime-in with why i said "No" before. More then once i've seen a FA asking to whom a bag belonged, and after finding no owner, sending the bag off the plane.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:11 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by CABNcrew
FA's are no longer permitted to leave the aircraft (VERY rarely can we step-off) so I bring energy bars, dried fruit, nuts, apples etc. It's not a hot meal but it serves it's purpose.
When did this happen? It seems like a year or so ago, I was on a pretty early flight and I remember one of the FAs doing a "meal run" and grabbing everyone salads/sandwiches/green chili soup.

I know the cockpit crew goes off to get food all the time, but I never realized you guys weren't supposed to leave the plane.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by tusphotog
When did this happen?
Your remedial FT reading assignment begins here.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:18 am

KNRG, that's a great point too re: bags.

I'd say as long as you let the FA's know where you were and that you're stepping off they'd have no problem, but don't just leave without telling anyone.

I frequently have people leave the plane and leave their belongings, and Ops is good about telling them they only have X amount of minutes. Even though we're not required to save your seat, and I'm sure some people wouldn't even think about it, I try to make sure to keep my eye on your seat and your things.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:29 am

Yes the pilots never go hungry...Ha! To be somewhat fair, some of them are good about asking us if we need any food.

BUT, just as FA's expect our customers to be prepared (ie don't wear a tissue and a thong on the plane and then wonder why you're freezing...tee hee, don't send your child unaccompanied across country with gummy-bears and a Mountain Dew and wonder why they get sick) I expect FA's to take care of THEMSELVES as well. It's NOT easy but it can be done!

I think I've messed up the focus/direction of this thread. Sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.