Wiki Posts
Search

Requirement for switch my biz travel to WN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Requirement for switch my biz travel to WN

I'm probably the demographics that WN is trying to lure aboard. I buy more than my fair share of shorthaul full fare tickets (mainly SAN-SFO). The rest of my flying is middle fare priced JetBlue/United SAN-BOS/JFK. I'm a United 1K and Southwest A-Lister.

Here is all Southwest has to do to get all my short haul business. And I even promise to buy B.S. fares too...

Give me a B.S. checkin line (akin to the elite or first class checkin) where I can check in my bags without a wait. The whole idea of B.S. is that you don't have to wait and can get to the head of the line. That should apply to the baggage counter too. Remove the headache of waiting in line to checkin my bags and they'll get all my short haul full fare business.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Not a bad idea but I don't see it being implemented given that they apparently appear to be going 95% self check-in kiosks anyway.

I don't care how its done as long as I can do it fast. And its worth repeating again, why install all these machines if 50% of them are going to be out of service or unavailable at peak times?
Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:36 pm

skylane, I'd go for that. and joshua I don't think it would matter that it's a self checkin kiosk, just need to get to the front of the line.

they have a priority line for the screening checkpoints (at least here in PHX), so doing a seperate line for BS that gets priority for an open checkin kiosk makes sense too and only requires rearranging the queue dividers. heck in OAK, they already have two seperate check in areas one which nobody seems to use.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
In Manchester and San Francisco, there used to be checkin kiosks at the back of the lobby for those not checking luggage. Now, these are at the end of the counter. It's not clear that one can walk right up to them without having to stand in line with the customers checking bags, until one sees someone else do it. I wonder why this was done.

Then, at security in SFO, the Clear line has become the rush line, where people who get there tight before their flights are moved through quickly.

Last edited by Firewind; Aug 28, 2008 at 12:13 am
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:11 am

Just wondering why you are checking a bag. Use the short hops out of Texas all the time and if I am gone less than a week will all fit in travelpro, more than a week they have cleaners at my destination and commute with dirty/clean undies.

Also with WN large frequency have you thought of day trips. I once commuted daily between DAL-HOU for about 6 months. Sleeping in my bed trumps staying in hotel

Just some thought to help out
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: WN CP
I know this isn't what you had in mind, but WN is testing Express Bag Drop in OAK and HOU. Assuming it is as "express" as its name states, it sounds like it may address your concern if and when it is implemented system-wide.

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/express-bag-drop
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Wow flying WN twice a day for 6 months sounds like my idea of hell...
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:42 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Although I don't buy B.S. fares, I never find that the wait to check bags is all that bad in DEN or LAS. DEN is usually walk right up. If there is a line, I just go outside and curbside check it for $1 tip. Never a line there.

In LAS, the inside line usually is about 20-30 deep but the outside line is usually about 5-7 deep, so 5 minutes or less to check the bag.

Of course, other airports may vary, but I've never really seen the wait as what I consider unacceptable. Using curbside for just $1 is worth it.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FCfree
Although I don't buy B.S. fares, I never find that the wait to check bags is all that bad in DEN or LAS. DEN is usually walk right up. If there is a line, I just go outside and curbside check it for $1 tip. Never a line there.

In LAS, the inside line usually is about 20-30 deep but the outside line is usually about 5-7 deep, so 5 minutes or less to check the bag.

Of course, other airports may vary, but I've never really seen the wait as what I consider unacceptable. Using curbside for just $1 is worth it.
Although curbcrusher will inevitably disagree with me, come to PHX and see what long lines are really like. Come in the morning on a peak travel day and witness 500 passengers in line to check bags. Witness the WN agents talking to each other instead of greeting and helping passengers. Witness the 8 closed, unmanned e-check in machines, just sitting there idle, while you cool your heels in line for 60 minutes. Come to PHX!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:05 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by formeraa
Although curbcrusher will inevitably disagree with me, come to PHX and see what long lines are really like.
Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about your Christmas thread this morning.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by formeraa
Although curbcrusher will inevitably disagree with me, come to PHX and see what long lines are really like. Come in the morning on a peak travel day and witness 500 passengers in line to check bags. Witness the WN agents talking to each other instead of greeting and helping passengers. Witness the 8 closed, unmanned e-check in machines, just sitting there idle, while you cool your heels in line for 60 minutes. Come to PHX!
Most definitely agree, did saw exactly this one early Friday last mid November. Probably when I developed my idle machine pet peeve although I also see it at ISP, HFD, SEA and other stations.

2 flights a day for 6 months would be hell on ANY airline at any airport unless private planes were involved. Then it would be my idea of Heaven, especially if I got to drive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.