Another (illegitimate) way to "A"

Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Another (illegitimate) way to "A"

Save seats. I'd say it's a now bigger problem than line-cutting, and has the same system-defeating result. Actually, it's much more effective because it's much less apparent.

Until recently, I've been blessed to get boarding passes A20 or lower. Lately, they've been higher. As I've followed many more people onboard, I've seen...

"Is this seat taken?"

"Yes."

...over and over again on each flight. So often, that the word "rampant" really is appropriate, at this point. Even when the plane is virtually filled. Flight attendants mostly don't see it because they're busy.

Some people on this board complain about the line-cutting. Others complain about people traveling together getting disparate BP numbers. Well, this is the workaround, for better or for worse... (But in the end, it is system-defeating.)
Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by Firewind
Some people on this board complain about the line-cutting. Others complain about people traveling together getting disparate BP numbers. Well, this is the workaround, for better or for worse... (But in the end, it is system-defeating.)
I've been using this workaround for the past few months when traveling with my girlfriend. I take an aisle near the front and save the middle for her. Most people don't seem to mind. They either move along or take the window.

However, I do agree that a policy or more official procedure be put in place for CP's, A-Listers and BS pax. Allow them to board with one or maybe 2 companion(s). That should take care of most people.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:00 pm

I had a lady try this on a PHX-LAX flight. She set in the aisle, I tried to sit in the window seat without the seat in front of it and she said it was saved for her boy friend. I said ok and sat in the middle seat Before long I had the whole row to myself. I guess they didn't want to hold hands over me all the way to LAX.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bbbb
I had a lady try this on a PHX-LAX flight. She set in the aisle, I tried to sit in the window seat without the seat in front of it and she said it was saved for her boy friend. I said ok and sat in the middle seat Before long I had the whole row to myself. I guess they didn't want to hold hands over me all the way to LAX.
So instead of "unite the couple", it's "separate the couple".
Old Aug 25, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Slightly off the topic but equally annoying - solo passengers who choose an empty row and sit in the middle seat. The idea is that most people will pass by in search of an aisle or window with an empty middle. And if someone does choose to seat themselves in that row, the person in the middle moves to the window seat.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Firewind,

My you are thinking about seating a lot lately. Perhaps you should write a piece for the WIKI on the best ways to get whatever seat you are looking for.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Just change the question you ask them. If there's nothing in the seat, it isn't even being saved with a lame attempt. Just ask: "For whom?" That dares them to answer their secret thoughts: "Somebody/Anybody [younger/skinnier/hotter] than you."

If there's stuff in the seat you want, just ask: "Where is the person who's sitting here?"

If they're in the lav or putting luggage overhead, you'll be told. If they haven't gotten on the plane yet, just say - no saving seats, and the FA will back you up. If you don't mind sitting near to someone you disgruntled.

But really - you're not getting B or higher BPs, are you? You should always be getting an aisle or window, whatever you want - just not an exit row. So WHO is lying to you about an empty seat, and why aren't there any other aisles or windows available to you?
Old Aug 26, 2008, 1:27 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bbbb
Nicely done ^^^. I've done that a few times, just to irritate the person. I think sitting on isle or window and save a middle seat for a companion is OK, but tried to save an isle or window seat and monopolize the entire row is just self fish.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:13 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Why even ask, just take the seat ...
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
However, I do agree that a policy or more official procedure be put in place for CP's, A-Listers and BS pax. Allow them to board with one or maybe 2 companion(s). That should take care of most people.
That's lost revenue for WN. Two people traveling on business, one buys BS and the other gets a free perk. Plus how do you prevent the free boarder from taking the exit row, etc.

No, if you really want to sit together and can't stand being apart for a few hours either drive or board with the person with the later boarding number. Nothing prevents anyone from boarding later than their assigned position.

My wife and I take the chance and board seperate. I will take a seat as close to the front as possible and if we decide to sit together, I'll just move to whatever location she's in. The person that was seated next to her generally doesn't mind getting a seat up front. Cell phones let you coordinate this perfectly.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by medic
That's lost revenue for WN. Two people traveling on business, one buys BS and the other gets a free perk. Plus how do you prevent the free boarder from taking the exit row, etc.
Not quite. That's almost like saying award tickets are lost revenue. The other does not get a "free perk." The BS purchaser (and A-Lister and CP holder) does. Sorta like elites on UA being able to bring a guest along to E+.

No, if you really want to sit together and can't stand being apart for a few hours either drive...
Telling someone to drive when they obviously prefer to fly? I think not.

My wife and I take the chance and board seperate. I will take a seat as close to the front as possible and if we decide to sit together, I'll just move to whatever location she's in. The person that was seated next to her generally doesn't mind getting a seat up front. Cell phones let you coordinate this perfectly.
We do board separately...so no problem in us being apart for a few minutes.

But my girlfriend and I do enjoy sitting together. And I'd rather save the middle seat for her than play musical chairs during the boarding process or right before pushback.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by DudeE
Slightly off the topic but equally annoying - solo passengers who choose an empty row and sit in the middle seat.
Depends on how full the flight will be. I do this on flights that I know are booked to less than 50 passengers. Keeps me from getting hit by bags as people go down the aisle looking for a seat and in the middle seat I likely won't have anyone directly in front of me so I won't have the seat in front of me reclined.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 3:29 pm

When I see a seat I want, regardless of whether or not it appears to be 'saved', I just say "excuse me.. I'd like to sit there please." I've never had anyone refuse.

That way you're not taking the saved seat, you're taking your own seat!
Old Aug 26, 2008, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Firewind
Save seats. I'd say it's a now bigger problem than line-cutting, and has the same system-defeating result. Actually, it's much more effective because it's much less apparent.
I don't see the problem. If the flight is full (which is often the case for me), all the seats will eventually be taken. Do I care if somebody "saves" a row up front? No, I'll simply take the next one. Do I care if somebody down the B list is forced to pass a "prime" seat which then goes to somebody else? No.

Nor do I have a problem with BS or A-listers saving seats. These are the best customers - they deserve the perks. In fact, this should be a published benefit! (as it is on other airlines, e.g. UA where you can upgrade people on the same PNR)

Originally Posted by DudeE
Slightly off the topic but equally annoying - solo passengers who choose an empty row and sit in the middle seat. The idea is that most people will pass by in search of an aisle or window with an empty middle. And if someone does choose to seat themselves in that row, the person in the middle moves to the window seat.
Had someone do that yesterday. Took the aisle seat with my infant. She immediately moved to the window. Again, completely ineffective on a full flight. And on an empty flight I could care less who has a row to himself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.