Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BS hook hasn't hooked my sister

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Cool BS hook hasn't hooked my sister

Seattle sister has a 'anytime' fare booked for a return trip (MDW->SEA) over the T-Day weekend and I asked her why she didn't just spend the extra $25 for a BS fare (she doesn't have a SWA Visa, but a RR and takes about 10 RT's a year). She just doesn't seem the extra $25 is worth it (she has a ton of free drink tickets, none ever offered to me ). Yah think the extra RR credit would be worth it Oh well, we shall see if she see's the light so to speak
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:52 am

the incremental one trip may not be worth it if you don't earn enough to get another RR. The drink doesn't matter to me either -plenty of unused drink coupons and boarding first isn't that big a deal since even B can get a window or aisle seat on most flights I'm on. At 10 RT per year, at a $25 adder each way, that's $500. You can get most WN flights for less than that booking early, and it's not enough to earn a free flight on it's own or to bump you up from your leftover RR credits. I'd pass too (and I normally do).
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:22 pm

I paid the extra 25 bucks earlier this year because I needed that extra credit for a free flight that I wanted to use soon - if it weren't for that - I highly doubt I would be paying the extra either... plus the fact that I dont drink does me no good
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:38 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by tanzaniancane
plus the fact that I dont drink does me no good
Go for the Monster Energy drink. Their marketing plan has been very effective: I just bought 6 of them at the store yesterday.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 1:28 pm

Ahh the Monster Energy Drink - seems like we have different tastes nsx - they were giving these away for free at my college campus - of course I took some - took a sip and that was about all I could handle.. I am glad you're enjoying them though!

Originally Posted by nsx
Go for the Monster Energy drink. Their marketing plan has been very effective: I just bought 6 of them at the store yesterday.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by nsx
I've been purchasing the 24-can cases at Costco.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:22 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Mountain Dew AMP is better, IMO. I wish Southwest would offer that, but of course they have the monopoly with Coke.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by OzzyOzzie
Seattle sister has a 'anytime' fare booked for a return trip (MDW->SEA) over the T-Day weekend and I asked her why she didn't just spend the extra $25 for a BS fare (she doesn't have a SWA Visa, but a RR and takes about 10 RT's a year). She just doesn't seem the extra $25 is worth it (she has a ton of free drink tickets, none ever offered to me ). Yah think the extra RR credit would be worth it Oh well, we shall see if she see's the light so to speak
If she pays $25 for the BS fare for the extra RR credit alone (not taking into account when the extra credit was needed), she would have to value a standard award at $400 (16 credits * $25 per credit). I've never been able to redeem (since the advent of "Freedom") a standard award at anything resembling $200 OW.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:55 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by icurhere2
I've never been able to redeem (since the advent of "Freedom") a standard award at anything resembling $200 OW.
Me neither, except for flights within less than 7 days. The fares for those flights are typically high even though load factors may be low. RR 2.0 as described in the survey would charge you a premium price for short-notice redemption like this.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:55 am
Original Poster

If she pays $25 for the BS fare for the extra RR credit alone (not taking into account when the extra credit was needed), she would have to value a standard award at $400 (16 credits * $25 per credit). I've never been able to redeem (since the advent of "Freedom") a standard award at anything resembling $200 OW.
IMHO, if it was me, I would pay the extra $25 as it being a holiday weekend and the plane originating from Baltimore(a few may get off at MDW??) I figure it will be a full flight so I would want to get on ASAP. AFAIK this is the first flight since BS came out where she couldn't get the 'Wanna Get Away Fare' and it may be the last (fingers crossed) so the BS option will be a few and far between option for her.

Last edited by OzzyOzzie; Aug 21, 2008 at 8:06 am
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by nsx
Me neither, except for flights within less than 7 days. The fares for those flights are typically high even though load factors may be low. RR 2.0 as described in the survey would charge you a premium price for short-notice redemption like this.
i just booked a ~600-800 flight (i checked before i booked and it was $300 OW, and a little bit later it was $400 OW) about 2 weeks ago
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Being a binge drinker (one is enough, two is too many, three is not enough), I have many, many coupon since I rarely want to start during the week. So Monster is a great idea to burn off these coupons.

Regarding BS, I'm always on the fence about it too because it doesn't guarantee anything tangible regarding seating. A full flight is an uncomfortable flight regardless of what prized seat you snag with it.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by OzzyOzzie
IMHO, if it was me, I would pay the extra $25 as it being a holiday weekend and the plane originating from Baltimore(a few may get off at MDW??) I figure it will be a full flight so I would want to get on ASAP. AFAIK this is the first flight since BS came out where she couldn't get the 'Wanna Get Away Fare' and it may be the last (fingers crossed) so the BS option will be a few and far between option for her.
You could be a good sibling and provide the $25 to subsidize her into a BS fare:

* Show her how to cancel and rebook using the PNR credit, or
* Book if for her and have her give you her canceled flight credit
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:29 am
Original Poster

You could be a good sibling and provide the $25 to subsidize her into a BS fare:

* Show her how to cancel and rebook using the PNR credit, or
* Book if for her and have her give you her canceled flight credit
Already offered to pay the $25 and she declined. Talk about having no interest in BS, and that's not BS
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Turned out to be a moot point, a few weeks? back a Wanna Get Away bucket opened up (I check daily, along with my upcoming MDW->LAS trip) to see if a lower fare is available. So long story short, she saved a few more bucks by getting the (slightly) lowest fare available. After a day, the bucket was closed, hasn't opened since. No luck on Ding either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.