Search

Is "music to board by" in our future?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 3:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Is "music to board by" in our future?

The future is here at Delta:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...80349/1001/BIZ

I could go for the theme from Rawhide.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Maybe if they spent more time, money, and effort on flying planes and providing customer service they'd be doing better as an airline.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 4:32 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It's odd that DL uses this and WN doesn't, unless there's no significant benefit. I have to believe that WN has already considered it.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 5:04 pm

with a different boarding model (no assigned seats) the reward may be different. but I find it strange for DL to spend money on this when they are complaining about costs; seems like a very unnecessary frill. Cut the product managers and payments to DMI and let people check in their bags for free.

personally, I'd prefer to just get the process over with, let me get in my seat and turn on my NC headphones. after a long day and a red eye home, I can't imagine being forced to listen to Celine Dion or some other adult contemporary while sitting on a taxiway for 30 minutes. They don't even torture the guys at Gitmo with that.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 5:05 pm

With WN lacking IFE, do WN planes currently have an easy way to play audio recordings onboard?

Might be easier/cheaper for Delta to pull that off, considering the existing IFE infrastructure.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 5:09 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by emmpee
With WN lacking IFE, do WN planes currently have an easy way to play audio recordings onboard?

Might be easier/cheaper for Delta to pull that off, considering the existing IFE infrastructure.
That must be the reason. The article talked about storing the music on the hard disk or on VHS.

These days all WN would really need is an iPod and an adapter cord.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: RR , Delta FF,United FF
I think the money would be better spent somewhere else. I can not count the times I have heard people complain of the music on elevators and phones when you have to wait.

jachot
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:43 pm

Delta and peppy boarding music is nothing new.

Many years ago -- shortly after the last glaciers receded, when airlines were all still regulated and tickets were instantly interchangeable between carriers --

Back then, I once boarded an ORD to IAH flight to bouncy music so loud it was truly unpleasant. I hit the call button and asked the FA if it could be turned down, 'cause if not, I was going to leave and take Braniff.

Her response: "Great! Somebody complained, so now I can go shut it off!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.