Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Unpublished" connections

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2003, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

"Unpublished" connections

Why are some very reasonable one-stop connections not shown as published service?

Here's an example:

When you look at AUS - LAS flights, the last published flight of the day, Flight 902 leaves at 5:10 p.m. and stops in ELP and ABQ before arriving in LAS at 8:00 p.m. Total elapsed time is 4 hours 50 minutes
If you want to leave after 5:10p.m. you're out of luck.

But, if you bought two separate tickets, you could leave AUS at 7:55p.m. on Flight 1959 and fly to HOU, arriving at 8:40 p.m., have a 55 minute layover and depart on Flight 1191 at 9:35 p.m. and arrive in LAS 10:45 p.m. Total elapsed time 4 hours 50 minutes- same as the last published flight with a departure that's 2 hours 45 minutes later providing the customer another option.

So why wouldn't Southwest want to show this as a published connection?

Especially since there's no alternative to get to LAS that time of day? Do they not want you flying east only to have to backtrack and fly west?

They have published service between AMA and LBB via DAL, so I don't think that would be the case. Besides, flying to HOU first is not that far out of the way. Folks in AUS flying Continental to the West Coast do it every day.

Is it because they don't want to appear to be competing with Continental too much?

Did the computer just miss it as a valid connection?

I'm not really complaining, I was just curious what the rationale is for deciding whether or not a connection will be listed as published service. I know they don't have published connections between DAL and cities outside the Wright/Shelby Amendment, even though some are possible, but that wouldn't apply to my AUS-LAS example.

Mike
Old Apr 28, 2003, 1:19 pm

I have wondered about this too. Connections from CRP to Florida and the West Coast are extremely limited because all CRP flights pass through HOU then DAL. The Wright Amendment disqualifies DAL as a connection point, and most HOU flights require a second change of planes, which is apparently against WN's connection rules.

For example, there's no "published" service from CRP to SAN. However, a co-worker of mine returned yesterday from a trip from CRP to SAN on which she used a Rapid Rewards ticket without any problem.

So, maybe the solution is to save the Rapid Rewards tickets for those flights out west where an "unpublished" itinerary is needed.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 1:38 pm

The few 'unpublished' connections I've ran in to have been a little more reasonable.

If you want to go from MDW-MCI late, you can connect through STL to get there. However, the only published connections are all non-stops. So, you would have to buy two tickets to do that.

Also, a bizarre one I saw was MDW-HOU.
The monitors in Chicago showed two fligts to Houston, leaving close together. However, only one was a 'published connection' going through STL, the other was a non-published one-stop going through MCI. However, at the airport, they both appeared as 1-stops to Houston. (The STL one left a little later and arrived a little earlier, so I can see why the MCI was not bookable, though it was baffling that it showed up on the flight monitors - probably because there was some other routing where that would be the way to get to HOU)
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:02 am

Yes, I had the same problem before trying to book a LAS-ELP. Similar to your experience LoneStarMike where I could get a later flight with a connection through PHX. Unfortunately, only if LAS-PHX and PHX-ELP were booked sepereately. That was a while back but I'm glad you asked this question. Always wondered myself.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 7:39 pm

I wonder if your AUS - LAS example isn't because it is backtracking. I realize that airlines sell tickets to go west every day where the first leg is going east. (I'm flying LIT-DFW-ATL-SDF on DL this week) My first leg is in a SW direction while my destination is NE. But I have seen many instances when an airline didn't show connections because they were backtracking.

A second thought might be some form of revenue formula. They may have data showing that they can fill up both the AUS-IAH segment and the IAH-LAS while the Elpaso runs light. So they are trying to force traffic onto that route. However if this were the case I would assume they just wouldn't put discount seats on the route.

Whatever the reason I'll bet the bleeding majors are saying "we need to consider that too"
Old Apr 29, 2003, 9:15 pm

I wish I had a complete answer for you but I don't think it's a revenue formula. Some connections just get lost in the cracks. It may not show up of schedule plannings computers but customers have a way of finding them. I do know that WN will not sale anything that has more then 2 stops before the final destination.

AS far as your MDW-HOU flights, the one thought MCI also stops in either OKC or TUL where the one thru STL is a non-stop from STL to HOU.

As far as the connections from CRP,I wish I knew.
Old Apr 29, 2003, 10:10 pm

I've never understood WN's connections... for the longest time, you couldn't fly DTW-RNO... currently, you can't fly from DTW-HRL or DTW-ISP.

I'm still curious as to why WN inaugurated DTW-PHX service, but not DTW-BWI...
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:39 am

LoneStarMike, you make a valid point. In general, scheduling attempts to create the most direct routing (including no backtracking). Your suggestion has a lot of merit, and I will forward it to the correct department. If I should hear anything, I'll post it here. Thanks!
Old May 1, 2003, 9:36 am
Used to be hamajicky

I have a similar dilemma. I can fly from LIT-STL, then STL-BNA using two tickets, but I cannot purchase a LIT-BNA ticket. What's the deal with that?

I even wrote a letter to Southwest and got a canned response about it.
Old May 2, 2003, 2:24 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Just a little info here is that SWA will allow you to fly on a "home built" itinerary
or unplublished connection as long as it is reward travel however you cannot check bags for the connection and you are on your own if you miss a connection.
Old May 2, 2003, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

If you BUY two separate tickets, then you're correct. You have to claim luggage at the endpoint of the first ticket and recheck it for the start of the second ticket and if you miss your connection, then technically, you're on your own (although WN employees have been known to be flexible depending on the circumstances.)

But if it's reward travel, you CAN check your bags all the way through, and if you miss your connection, Southwest WILL take care of you. I gave a one way Rapid Rewards ticket to a friend of mine a couple of years ago who needed to get from DAL to OAK. His itinerary involved a connection in ABQ and an additional stop in PHX, but he was able to check his bags all the way through, without having to reclaim and recheck them at ABQ.

Mike
Old May 2, 2003, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wn-bna:
I do know that WN will not sale anything that has more then 2 stops before the final destination.
</font>
Actually, WN does still offer for sale some flights that make 3 stops before the final destination as long as you are on the same aircraft the whole way.
Flight 1575 from BDL-AUS with stops at BWI, BHM and HOU is just one example. The key though, is that you have to be on the same aircraft the whole way. If your itinerary involves a change of planes, then you can only have one additional stop besides the connection for a total of two stops.

Mike
Old May 2, 2003, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL MP, AAdvantage,WN RR
I took a early morning flight, WN178 from RNO-SJC after it landed on SJC, FT anounced
the flight will continue to BWI, WN909 only NS from SJC - BWI. I was supprise not seeing the information displayed at check in gate(podium). I think this is also a hidden connection. Could this mean a hidden connection you guys talked about?
Old May 6, 2003, 2:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LoneStarMike:
Actually, WN does still offer for sale some flights that make 3 stops before the final destination as long as you are on the same aircraft the whole way.
Flight 1575 from BDL-AUS with stops at BWI, BHM and HOU is just one example. The key though, is that you have to be on the same aircraft the whole way. If your itinerary involves a change of planes, then you can only have one additional stop besides the connection for a total of two stops.

Mike
</font>
Thanks for the correction Mike...I've lost touch with everything since I went to the freight side...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.