Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP
Return of the relatively simple DING!

No several page, single-flight mumbo jumbo today. PHX, for example:

Phoenix Offers
Phoenix to Burbank for $55 One-Way!
- Fare is valid for travel Tuesday-Thursday and Saturday, August 12 through October 30, 2008 only

Phoenix to Denver for $78 One-Way!
- Fare is valid for travel Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday, August 12 through September 30, 2008 only

Phoenix to Las Vegas for $55 One-Way!
- Fare is valid for travel Monday-Wednesday and Saturday, August 11 through October 29, 2008 only

Phoenix to Oakland for $91 One-Way!
- Fare is valid for travel Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday, August 12 through October 29, 2008 only

Phoenix to Ontario for $55 One-Way!
- Fare is valid for travel Monday-Saturday, August 11 through October 31, 2008 only

Phoenix to Salt Lake City for $83 One-Way!
- Fare is valid for travel Monday-Thursday and Saturday, August 11 through October 30, 2008 only

Phoenix to San Antonio for $111 One-Way!
- Fare is valid for travel Tuesday-Thursday, August 12 through October 30, 2008 only

Phoenix to Tulsa for $111 One-Way!
- Fare is valid for travel Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, August 12 through September 30, 2008 only
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:55 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Thumbs up

Big hooray! Some months ago I saved a particularly messy DING! page with the intention of converting it to a lovely DHTML version. I was going to put it on display as an example of how much better those DING! pages could be. There was a "minor" obstacle, however. I, um, didn't have a clue as to how to actually write DHTML.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:15 am

Yeah. The Ding was really spartan for me
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: SWA RR
Much - much - much better than the old version.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:22 pm

agreed, and it's not like the old version mattered where it listed each flight. when you booked the ding, it would list all the ding and non ding fares for all flights for the day(s) selected on that particualr routing anyway. hope they keep it this way.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Hmph. the ding fare MSY-RDU is $129, but looking at some sample dates, there are ample $79 seats available..
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:51 pm

I haven't searched today's DING! offers thoroughly enough to determine whether the offers are now much less restrictive, or whether the initially displayed page has simply returned to a more user-friendly format.

oopsz, for my subscribed airports there has been a plethora of recent DING! offers at above-minimum fares. That used to be rare but in recent weeks it almost became the norm. I've always felt that the MPD nature of DING! was indicative of it being used by WN in a highly experimental manner. That makes sense, IMO, given how unique* and innovative it is. *Apologies for the grammar faux pas.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
No several page, single-flight mumbo jumbo today.
Old system back.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
Old system back.
It's a three-day weekend. They figure you have extra time to parse the additional date and flight information.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 9:30 am

it's actually gone back and forth a few time recently from the old and new display. must say, I like the condensed view.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:50 pm

I don't even remember the last time I've seen a decent DING fare, yet I keep checking them every day..
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:32 pm

DING! has continued to jump back and forth between the two different styles. I mentioned on another thread that I had done some work on a utility to consolidate the "several page, single-flight mumbo jumbo" detail to make the DING! more readable. It isn't currently in a form that can be distributed, so in the meantime here is a partial fix you can apply yourself. Add a single new line of text to your user styles file as follows:
div.swaContent div#offerTable div.indentedSubNotes {display: none ! important}
The above will suppress all detail text when the DING! offers are displayed. (If it's one of those days when there are twenty offers for a single pair of cities, you will still see all twenty headlines; that's not so easy to fix.) When you click on any "Book This Offer" button you will see the detail for that specific offer. You will not see the details for any other current offer for the same city pair. As usual with DING!, however, you can just put in the dates you want to fly and click "Book Now." It doesn't matter whether you clicked a button that matches your preferred dates as long as you clicked a button for the correct city pairs. (And there is a workaround for checking other city pairs, even if they are not in your registered list of airports.)

If you don't know how and where to supply your browser with user styles:
  • For Firefox visit this help page. (Important: you must fully exit FF and start a new session to cause the new userContent.css to be read.)
  • For IE7 locate the [Internet Options | General | Appearance | Accessibility] dialog box, turn on user styles and supply the file location & name.
  • For older versions of IE you are on your own. (IMO they all should be avoided, so I won't take the time to see whether the instructions above need to be modified.)
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:37 pm

Dirty DING! reappeared today. Twenty-six listings for DAL-HOU. Oddly enough, zero listings for HOU-DAL.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:01 pm

I uploaded a pair of screen captures that show the difference in DING! appearance if you make the easy styles modification described in #12 above. (Note: you don't get the Show Details/Hide Details button with just the styles modification, but (as previously described) detail is displayed when you click the Book This Offer button). The styles change makes it easier to scan the headlines, but it doesn't condense the 26 DAL-HOU offers into one. I need to upload a DHTML dirty DING! demo to show what that would look like.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ftnoob
Dirty DING! reappeared today. Twenty-six listings for DAL-HOU. Oddly enough, zero listings for HOU-DAL.
A certain SWAV gentleman once told me that there is no requirement that DING! offers be bidirectional.

Originally Posted by ftnoob
I need to upload a DHTML dirty DING! demo to show what that would look like.
You need to just hurry up with publishing a Firefox southwest.com extension. DING! is not the only part of the site begging to be addressed by your coding skills.

Last edited by curbcrusher; Feb 10, 2009 at 5:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.